The Wendish Research Exchange
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 046.000 Kilian to Johann Röhle, Father-in-law of Matthäus Matthiez [Weigersdorf Archive],18 Dec 1857
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-10-2015 at 03:23 PM
046.000 Kilian to Johann Röhle, Father-in-law of Matthäus Matthiez [Weigersdorf Archive],18 Dec 1857

Wendish Settlement in County Bastrop, the 18th of December 1857.

Beloved Brother in the Lord!

A matter of money induces me to write to you and ask for your mediation.

It is presumably known to you that Rosina Matke, the foster daughter of Johann Schubert from Kaschel, 8 years, 3 months of age, died in Texas the 1st of June 1855 from typhoid fever and that in 1855 Schubert by means of his power of attorney, Lahde in Kaschel, received 282 dollars of his wife's inheritance from the trust fund which was deposited at the royal county court at Rothenburg. Johann Schubert, alias Günther, still is due 475 Talers, which are or were left with his household at Wolf at Kaschel. As Lahde wrote on 30 October 1855 notice of withdrawal of this amount was given the 10th of October 1855 and payable on the 10th of April 1856. Johann Schubert has written two letters, one in February 1856 and the other one in December 1856, to Lahde about this money and up to now has not received the money nor received an answer. He is worried about what might have happened to his letters and to his money.

While I was on my ministry in New Ulm on the 3rd Sunday in Advent, Schubert told me about his concern in the house of your son-in-law, Matthiez, where I, as a rule, conduct divine services every fifth Sunday. I advised him not to write to Lahde again right away, but to write to you first, a trustworthy friend, so that we may acquire impartial, reliable information as to what is going on. And because Schubert, as a renter in Industry, is situated in peculiar circumstances, I took over writing the letter to you, so that your answer would be sent to me and not to Schubert. Therefore, I would like for you to send your answer to me. My address is: Rever. John Kilian, Cunningham's P. O., Bastrop Co., Texas.

While I cordially ask you to write me about the matter of the Schubert money real soon, I will now also pass on some news. Your last letter to Matthiez already arrived several weeks ago and Matthiez plans to answer you during the Christmas season. I will only extend cordial greetings from Matthiez, from his wife and his children. The whole lovely family is continually healthy and happy. Up here in my main congregation nearly all have also enjoyed the best of health this year. Only one untimely death hit us. Our brother [Johann] Domaschk, alias Janak, who was very busy with well-digging, was accidentally killed while at work on the 12th of October of this year. He is survived by his widow and 4 children. Since the family owns the farm outright along with 23 head of cattle and other animals, there is no external need except that the faithful father of the family is missing. All of us are deeply afflicted by the loss, because he was an active member of the congregation and contributed much to our revival. You presumably already know that the wife of [George] Sonsel died from typhoid fever in New Ulm on the 15th of March 1856.

This year and last year were years of severe drought, so that the harvest for these two years was barely half of normal. For this reason we are now suffering considerably. Yet, in comparison with other regions, New Ulm had a good harvest, since there they had heavy thunderstorms at the right time.

In respect to the church we made progress through much outward and inward strife. The Methodists, a very intrusive Reformed party, wanted to penetrate my local main congregation and cause disruption. Yet, the assault, which is now fortunately over, awakened us so that we have two evening prayer meetings each week, on Wednesdays and Fridays. Many families are concerned about their salvation. I plan to write Pastor Gumlich soon in more detail about our religious and spiritual condition.

This year a second wing was added to my parsonage, which is connected to my house by a covered gallery. At the end of this wing a belfrey was built and the bell we brought along gets rung since Pentecost of this year. My family and I have been completely healthy during 1856 and 1857. My Gerhard is going to school and slowly learning the alphabet. My little Theresia, a bright child, already reads before she is a year old. It is astonishing how well children thrive here. Mortality is low.

I will close. God be with you. Greet all acquainted brothers and sisters of your congregation from your

Johann Kilian, Pastor

[Symmank; Biar]

[The father in law of Matthäus Matthiez is Johann Röhle of Kaschel. Weldon Mersiovsky]

Wendische Ansiedlung im County Bastrop
am 18.December 1857.

Geliebter Bruder im Herrn!

Eine Geldangelegenheit veranlaßt mich, Ihnen zu schreiben und um Ihre gütige Vermittlung zu bitten.

Es ist Ihnen vermutlich bekannt, daß Rosina Matke, Johann Schubert's aus Kaschel Pflegetochter am 1sten Juni 1855 8 Jahre, 3 Monate alt am hitzigen Fieber in Texas verstorben ist und daß Schubert durch seinen Bevollmächtigten Lahde in Kaschel im Jahre.

1855 von den Mündelgeldern, welche beim Königl[ichen] Kreisgericht zu Rothenburg deponirt waren und welche Schuberts Frau geerbt, 282 Dollars richtig erhalten hat. Johann Schubert, genannt Günther, hat aber noch 475 Thaler zu bekommen, welche auf seiner Wirthschaft bei Wolf in Kaschel stehen oder standen. Diese Summe ist, wie Lahde unterm 30 October 1855 schrieb, am 10 October 1855 gekündigt worden und zum 10 April 1856 zahlbar gewesen. Nun hat Johann Schubert wegen dieses Geldes an Lahde zwei Briefe geschrieben, den einen im Februar 1856 und den andern im December 1856 aber bis jetzt weder das Geld noch eine Antwort erhalten. Er macht sich deshalb allerlei Gedanken, was mit seinen Briefen und mit seinem Gelde vorgegangen seyn mag.

Als ich am 3ten Adventssonntage von Amts wegen in New Ulm war, theilte mir Schubert seine Noth mit im Hause Ihres Schwiegersohnes Matthiez, wo ich immer noch in der Regel jeden fünften Sonntag Gottesdienst hatte. Ich rieth ihm, nicht gleich wieder an Ladhe, sondern zuerst an Sie zu schreiben, damit wir von Ihnen als einem treuen Freunde eine unparteiische, sichere Auskunft erhalten, wie es eigentlich steht. Und weil Schubert als Landpächter in Industry in eigenthümlichen Verhältnissen sich befindet, so übernahm ich den Brief an Sie zu schreiben, damit Ihre Antwort nicht an Schubert, sondern an mich gerichtet werde. Ich wünsche also, daß Sie mir antworten. Meine Adresse ist: Rever. John Kilian, Cunningham's P. O. Bastrop Co. Texas.

Indem ich Sie herzlich bitte, mir über die Schubert'sche Geldangelegenheit recht bald zu schreiben, theile ich Ihnen nun noch einige Nachrichten mit. Ihr letzter Brief an Matthiez ist schon vor mehreren Wochen richtig angekommen und Matthiez gedenkt Ihnen in der Weihnachtszeit selbst zu antworten. Ich schreibe Ihnen hiermit nur herzliche Grüße von Matthiez, von seiner Frau und von seinen Kindern. Die ganze liebe Familie befindet sich fortwährend gesund und wohl. Hier oben in meiner Hauptgemeine haben sich dieses ganze Jahr beinahe Alle gleichfalls der besten Gesundheit erfreut. Nur Ein schwerer Todesfall hat uns betroffen. Unser Bruder Domaschk, genannt Janak, der sich viel mit Brunnengraben beschäftigte, ist bei solch einer Brunnenarbeit am 12ten October dieses Jahres verunglückt. Er hat die Witwe mit 4 Kindern hinterlassen. Da jedoch die Familie eine bezahlte Farm, 23 Kopf Rindvieh und anderes Vieh besitzt, so leidet sie keine äußerliche Noth, als daß der treue Hausvater fehlt. Wir fühlen Alle den Verlust Schmerzlich, da er ein lebendiges Glied der Gemeine war und viel zu unserer Erweckung beigetragen hat. Daß Sonsels Frau am 15ten Mærz 1856 am Nervenfieber in New Ulm gestorben ist, werden Sie vermuthlich schon wissen.

Dieses und das vergangene Jahr waren hier äußerst trockene Jahre, so daß die Ernte in diesen beiden Jahren gegen sonst kaum eine halbe genannt werden kann. Dadurch leiden wir jetzt noch ziemlich. Doch hat New Ulm im Vergleich mit anderen Gegenden noch eine gute Ernte gemacht, da dort zu rechter Zeit starke Gewitterregen fielen.

In kirchlicher Beziehung sind wir unter manchen Kämpfen nach außen und innen vorwärts gekommen. Die Methodisten, eine sehr zudringliche reformirte Partei, wollte in meine hiesige Hauptgemeine eindringen und Zerrüttung anrichten. Doch hat der Sturm, der nun glücklich vorüber ist, uns so erweckt, daß wir hier alle Wochen zwei Abendbetstunden halten, Mittwochs und Freitags. In vielen Familien ist man bekümmert um die Seligkeit. Ich denke bald an den Pastor Gumlich über unseren kirchlichen und geistlichen Stand Näheres schreiben.

An meinem Pfarrhause ist in diesem Jahre ein zweiter Flügel gebaut worden, der durch eine bedeckte Gallerie mit meiner Wohnung zusammenhängt. Am Ende dieses Flügels ist ein Glockenhaus errichtet und unsere mitgebrachte Glocke wird seit Pfingsten dieses Jahres geläutet.

Ich mit meiner Familie war in den Jahren 1856 und 1857 vollkommen gesund. Mein Gerhard geht in die Schule und lernt langsam die Buchstaben. Meine kleine Theresia, ein munteres Kind, liest schon vor dem Jahre. Es ist wunderbar, wie Kinder hier gedeihen. Sehr wenige sterben.

Ich schließe. Gott sey mit Ihnen. Grüßen Sie alle bekannten Brüder und Schwestern Ihrer Gemeine von Ihrem
Johann Kilian, Pastor.

Note: The list from Frau Mahling indicates that this letter was addressed to Pastor Gumlich, Weigersdorf. However, in this letter Pastor Kilian states that he is writing to the father-in-law of [Matthäus] Matthiez [Matthijetz]. Also Pastor Kilian states that his letter of 12-20-1857 was the first one written to a clergyman in Germany.

[Symmank; Biar]

Go To Top