The Wendish Research Exchange
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 051.600 Kilian to Walther, [Weigersdorf Archive, CHI, Serbin Collection] 25 Jun 1858
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-10-2015 at 08:03 PM
051.600 Kilian to Walther, [Weigersdorf Archive, CHI, Serbin Collection] 25 Jun 1858

Document 3 - Letter to Prof. C. F. W. Walther in St. Louis, Missouri

Wendish Settlement in Bastrop Co., Texas, the 25th of June 1858

Venerable Very Honored Professor!

Trusting in your cordial interest I venture to introduce to you two things after I recently received and studied the Synodical Report of the general German Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Missouri, Ohio and other States for the year 1857 as well as the proceedings of the fourth session of the Western District of the German Evangelical Lutheran Synod, etc., for the year 1858, along with the friendly letter of the secretary of this Synod. In the latter the Synod’s secretary expressed regrets that up to now I not only had not attended the synod’s conferences, but also did not at all show them any sign of life, etc.

I would like to write, Venerable Reverend, something agreeable because of your deep sorrow due to the death of Professor Biewand. I herewith also acknowledge the receipt of the sorrowful news and send my condolence. I couldn’t help but to write a few troubled remarks about the consummated excommunication of Pastor Schieferdecker and to send a further explanation of my view together with the enclosed essay.

I make a distinction between a Jewish chiliasm, which the 17th article of the Augustana correctly rejects, and a Biblical chiliasm, which I don’t dare by no means to reject. Should my position interfere with my membership in the Missouri Synod, then I must either be convinced from Holy Scripture that my position is false or I will be forced to resign from your synod. You will naturally find that in this adversity I took time to think about it and therefore did not say anything until I felt compelled to. However, the comments of the secretary of the synod constrained me to send in a statement.

Recently, I received a letter from my successor in the ministry, Pastor Gumlich in Weigersdorf of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Prussia, in which the following is stated: "In reference to chiliasm, Diedrich expressed himself among us in Prussia the most rigorously antithetical arguments, but in other respects the asperity on this point has generally abated." I intend to present a document on the question of chiliasm to my brethren in Prussia for assessment later on.

Now I still have to give a report about the involvement or rather development in my local main congregation. You know from former comments that I am heartily in agreement with the doctrine of the church and ministry, which is why I sympathetically watched your struggle against the Roman principles of the Buffalo Synod. But I did not believe that the big question of the relationship of the invisible and visible church could touch me as much as it now affects my own congregation.

I came here from a region in which unsupervised conventicles were in vogue. With these I stood in contact with various sentiments for the 11 years of my ministry in the Lutheran Sate church of Saxony but for the 6 years of my ministry in Prussia in much friendlier commerce. Even though the people favoring conventicles in Saxony did not all approve of our withdrawal from the Prussian union state church but remained with the separated Lutherans because with them they found a likeable and spiritual emotional life. Thus 300 Lutherans from Prussia with 200 from Saxony came here with me; which to some extend were children of the pietistic conventicle spirit. They are actually Lutheran by confession but stick to their accustomed conventicles so that they want to impose them on the congregation as a regulation and acknowledge the attendance of these prayer meetings as an indispensable sign of living faith. They actually have 3 means of grace: word, sacrament, and prayer meetings, similar to what many of the opposing party now say: word, sacrament, and ministry.

Last year these proponents of conventicles had the opportunity to hear the American Methodists, at the time when a few German previous Moravian Church families, 2 miles from here, who until the present belonged to me, became Methodists. During this time of great agitation a family of our Wendish settlement also joined the Methodists. A husband, in his conviction pretty Quakerish and satisfied with his inner light, had constantly refused to do any work in building the parsonage and had therefore gotten into a bad way with the congregation. Because of that the Methodists won him over, and also because he had gone to a camp meeting where his wife was overcome by the spirit of laughing and of enchantment. So no one doubted her conversion. At this time my conventicle people, who were highly enamored by the Methodist's fire and brimstone sermons and prayers, bothered me very much. They demanded that I hold prayer meetings, otherwise, a ringleader of this movement said, many would go over to the Methodists. I agreed to hold them. I introduced evening prayer meetings, every Wednesday and Friday for almost a half of a year, which were also attended by such who otherwise would not attend these meetings. At first I presented the 8 beatitudes of Jesus found in Matthew 5, each meeting a verse, then the Lord's prayer and finally the Augsburg Confession, article after article, and also permitted discussion by the people after I made my commentary. The opening and the closing was a prayer while kneeling. At first it went very well. But before Easter of this year during the Augsburg Confession the attendance at these meetings gradually dropped off, due to bad weather and other circumstances, mainly however, because the arousal of the emotions subsided and the initial exertion was naturally followed by exhaustion. Also the conventicle people stayed away. The Augsburg confession was too dry for them because in it conversion and other pet subject-matter of the "conventiclists" were not always discussed and because they were hindered by orderliness to carry on in their usual manner. But I did not know with certainty how to interpret the disinterest in the meetings. Then before Pentecost of this year the Methodists appeared again, and again started to preach in front of the houses of families of the settlement who did belong to them. And lo, my conventicle people again streamed to them and associated with the Methodists in the friendliest manner. A well-to-do, but a notoriously greedy conventicle man of the settlement, who built a cotton gin house, but through his own carelessness burned down his expensive building together with much of the settlement's cotton deposed in it and thereby got into grumpiness with the poor people, was often cursed because of his stinginess and other bad habits resulting from this. Through this person, whose wife is an epitome of the same character, an opposition was formed against me and the greater part of the congregation. So they ran to (consorted with) the Methodists not only because of motives of religious tendencies, but also because of hate. I could not remain silent about these activities. I explained on the Sunday before Pentecost that in the congregation there was a divided spirit and this must either be reconciled or a division must follow, or I must move away. And then the congregation was called by me to a congregational meeting. The friends of the Methodists did not appear in person, but sent a letter with 13 signatures to this meeting, held on the afternoon of the 3rd day of Pentecost, in which they pronounced their separation from us. These undersigned, including their families, amounted to about one fifth of my main congregation, whereas my second congregation, 40 miles from here in New Ulm and surrounding area, to which I still travel on horseback every fifth week, was not affected by this movement, since they had completely overcome Methodism which also troubled them earlier. However, these my separatists did not go over to the Methodists, but rather, recently disassociated themselves from them. There is still too much Lutheran blood in my separatists. But, above all, they attacked me in their letter that 1) I am an enemy of the little crowd, whose uniting with the large crowd is out of the question; however, they would claim it that I do not put proper emphasis on the spiritual life (that is, based on prayer meetings), and that 2) I represent the restitution of all things. The congregation has answered them in detail in a letter, composed by me and approved by the congregational meeting, after discussion.

Ad 1) It is to be noted that the aforesaid separatists want to visibly represent the faithful Lutheran congregation opposite to the large crowd of "Parish-Christians" (to talk like Zinzendorf), who also abide by the Word and Sacrament, who also, to a large degree, prove to be alive believers and likewise conduct themselves well, as my separatists, only do not go to their prayer meetings. Hinc illae lacrimae. [Hence those tears.]

Ad 2) I have to say that in 20 years of my ministry I have never said one word in public sermons about the restitution of all things, but that last year in a church council meeting, which was partially composed of the present separatists, I had to speak on this matter because on one occasion a member of the church council, who was already troubled with this doctrine in Europe, spoke out that grace does not stop with death. Therefrom a case of church discipline resulted. Passages, pro and contra, were discussed in the church council, during which I was not as forthcoming as some hoped for, because in this difficult case I thought I could accomplish more by leniency than by sharpness. The mentioned church council member, otherwise a faithful soul, was actually also induced to make a public recantation of his said remark and I formulated his recantation in the church council meeting and with his permission read it to the congregation on Reformation Day, the 31st of October, of last year. Because of the leniency of my procedure at that time, when my present accusers were in agreement with me on this matter, they now make the accusation that I represent the restitution of all things, which is not the case and what they cannot prove. The separatists obviously look only for some pretense to justify their peculiar position. That is why I must be careful.

This is how it is. While my separatists are on their own and at least want to remain Lutherans, they yet come to me for medicine since an endemic fever-sickness prevails here, and I help all who come as well as I am able. For this purpose I brought a homeopathic apothecary along from Germany. I also believe that we would soon unite if the differences were not doctrinal, namely, of the doctrine of the church and the means of grace. But I hope for healing. But some time must pass by. Most of these people now appear to me as sheep in wolf's clothing. Please announce this letter to the brethren over there as a sign of life. With that I remain yours in the Lord, Reverend Father,

respectfully,
Johann Kilian, Pastor.

Addition:
Excommunication of Pastor Schieferdecker as it is formulated in the printed proceedings of the German Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Missouri, Ohio and Other States: "Since Pastor Schieferdecker, during the current proceedings, has revealed that he equates his own chiliastic interpretation of certain prophetic Scriptural passages with the certain and clear word of God and misuses the same and his supposition conceived of these to make uncertain several articles of the holy Christian faith, such as: the kingdom of Christ on earth; Christ's return on judgment day; judgment day; and to downright deny one of them, namely the universal resurrection of the dead on judgment day; and since all repeated attempts to lead the aforementioned back from his error proved to be in vain, the Synod hereby acknowledges that Pastor Schieferdecker no longer stands united with her in one fundamental faith and is therefore compelled to deny him further synodical membership."

P.S.: The above-mentioned Synod has 4 synodical districts: 1. The Western, of which I am an advisory member (Missouri, Illinois, Iowa, Louisiana, Texas); 2. The Central (Indiana, Ohio); 3. The Northern (Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota); 4. The Eastern (Canada, New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, District of Columbia, Virginia).

[Translator's note: A copy of the above letter dated 6-25-1858 from Pastor Kilian to Professor Walther was enclosed as Document 3 of a letter dated 10-19-1858 from Pastor Kilian to Pastor Gotthold Albert Gumlich, Weigersdorf, Prussia. Pastor Kilian included an excerpt concerning Pastor Schieferdecker from the proceedings of the Synodical Convention held October 14-24, 1857, and the composition of the four synodical districts of the Missouri Synod at that time.]

[Biar, Symmank]

Aktenstück 3. Schreiben an Herrn Prof. C. F. W. Walther in St. Louis, Missouri
(Abschrift des Concepts)

Wendische Ansiedlung in Bastrop Co. Texas den 25sten Juni 1858.

Hochwürdiger, Hochgeehrter Herr Professor!

Im Vertrauen zu Ihrer herzlichen Theilnahme wage ich Ihnen ein Zwiefaches zu öffnen, nachdem ich den empfangenen Synodal Bericht der allgemeinen Deutschen evang. Luther. Synode von Missouri, Ohio u. a. Staaten vom Jahre 1857 erwogen und in diesen Tagen sowohl "die Verhandlungen der Vierten Sitzungen des Westlichen Districts der Deutschen evang. luther. Synode u. s. w. vom Jahre 1858" als auch die freundliche Zuschrift des Secretärs dieser Synode erhalten habe. Die Synode läßt in der letzteren ihr Bedauern aussprechen, daß ich nicht allein bis jetzt nicht auf den Synoden erschienen bin, sondern ihr auch so gar kein Lebenszeichen gebe u. s. w.

Ew. Hochwürden möchte ich nun gern Angenehmes schreiben, da Sie durch den Tod des Herrn Professors Biewand so tief betrübt worden sind. Ich bescheinige auch hiermit den richtigen Empfang der traurigen Nachricht und bezeuge mein Beileid.Allein ich kann doch nicht umhin, zuerst in Beziehung auf die vollzogene Excommunication des Pastors Schieferdecker etliche mit Kummer geschriebene Worte zu bemerken und zu weiterer Erklärung meiner Meinung den beiliegenden Aufsatz mit einzusenden.

Ich unterscheide einen jüdischen Chiliamus, welchen der 17 Art. der Augustana mit Recht verwirft, und einen biblischen Chiliasmus, welchen ich keinesweges zu verwerfen wage. Sollte nun diese meine Stellung mit meiner Zugehörigkeit zur Missouri Synode sich nicht vertragen, so müßte ich entweder aus der heiligen Schrift überzeugt werden, daß meine Stellung falsch ist, oder ich würde aus Ihrer Synode austreten müssen. Sie werden es natürlich finden, daß ich in solcher Noth mir Bedenkzeit nahm und darum kein Lebenszeichen gab, ehe ich nicht dazu genöthigt wurde. Allein die Zuschrift des Secretärs der Synode hat mich nun zu einer Erklärung gedrungen.

Aus der evangelisch lutherischen Kirche in Preußen habe ich ohnlängst von meinem Successor im Amte, dem Pastor Gumlich in Weigersdorf, einen Brief erhalten, worin folgendes steht: "In Bezug auf den Chiliasmus hat sich unter uns in Preußen Diedrich am schärfsten antithetisch ausgesprochen, im Uebrigen aber ist die Schroffheit in diesem Puncte allseitig gewichen! Ich denke, über die Frage des Chiliasmus späterhin meinen Brüdern in Preußen eine Vorlage zur Begutachtung zuzustellen.

Nun habe ich noch über eine Verwickelung oder vielmehr Entwickelung in meiner hiesigen Hauptgemeine Bericht zu erstatten. Sie wissen aus meinen früheren Aeußerungen, daß ich in der Lehre von der Kirche und Amte mit der Missouri Synode herzlich einverstanden bin, weßhalb ich Ihrem Kampfe gegen die Römischen Principien der Buffalo Synode theilnehmend zuschaute. Ich glaubte aber nicht, daß die große Frage um das Verhältniß der unsichtbaren und sichtbaren Kirche mich so nahe berühren könnte, wie sie mich jetzt in meiner eignen Gemeine berührt.

Ich bin aus einer Gegend hieher gekommen, in welcher unbeaufsichtigte Conventikel Mode sind. Mit diesen habe ich die 11 Jahre meiner Amtsführung in der lutherischen Staatskirche Sachsens in mancherlei Stimmung, die 6 Jahre meines Amtes in Preußen aber in vielem freundlichen Verkehr gestanden, obwohl die Conventikelleute aus Sachsen nicht alle unsern Austritt aus der Preußischen unirten Landeskirche billigten, sondern nur darum mit den separirten Lutheranern hielten, weil sie das beliebte geistliche Gefühlsleben bei ihnen fanden. So sind nun mit 300 Lutheranern aus Preußen gegen 200 Sachsen mit mir hieher gekommen, welche zum Theil des pietistischen Conventikelgeistes Kinder sind. Sie sind, zwar lutherischen Bekenntmißes, aber sie halten so sehr auf ihre gewohnten Conventikel, daß sie dieselben meiner ganzen Gemeine als Gesetz aufdringen und den Stundenbesuch als ein unerläßliches Zeichen lebendiger Gläubigkeit anerkannt wissen wollen. Sie haben eigentlich 3 Gnadenmittel: Wort, Sacrament und Stunden, ähnlich wie Viele auf der Gegenseite jetzt sagen: Wort, Sacrament und Amt.

Diese Conventikelleute hatten nun im vorigen Jahre Gelegenheit die Amerikanischen Methodisten zu hören, zu der Zeit, als etliche Deutsche früher Herrnhutische Familien 2 Meilen von hier, die sich bisher zu mir gehalten hatten, Methodisten wurden. In dieser Zeit größere Bewegung ging auch eine Familie unseres Wenden Settlements zu den Methodisten über. Der Mann, in seiner Gesinnung ziemlich Quäkerisch, mit seinem inneren Lichte zufrieden, hatte sich standhaft geweigert, beim hiesigen Pfarrbau irgend eine Arbeit zu thun, und war daher in übles Vernehmen mit der Gemeine gerathen, westhalb ihn die Methodisten sogleich eroberten, auf seine Frau aber kam im Camp Meeting der Geist des Lachens und der Verzückung, so daß an ihrer Bekehrung kein Zweifel war. In dieser Zeit machten mir meine Conventikelleute, welche von den Methodistischen Sturmpredigten und Gebeten höchst eingenommen waren, viel zu schaffen. Sie verlangten von mir Betstunden, sonst würden, sagte mir ein Anführer dieser Richtung, Viele zu den Methodisten übergehen. Ich ging darauf ein. Ich führte Abendbetstunden ein, welche jede Mittwoch und jeden Freitag fast ein halbes Jahr lang gehalten und auch von solchen, die sonst nicht in die Stunden gehen, besucht wurden. Ich legte zuerst die 8 Seligpreisungen Jesu Matth. 5., jede Stunde einen Vers, dann das Vaterunser und zuletzt die Augsburgische Confession von Artikel zu Artikel aus, und ließ auch die Leute sprechen, nachdem ich meine Auslegung gemacht hatte. Den Anfang und den Schluß machte ein Gebet auf den Knien. Das ging erst ganz gut. Aber während der Augsburgischen Confession schliefen die Stunden vor Ostern dieses Jahres nach und nach ein, durch übles Wetter und andere Umstände, hauptsächlich aber wohl, weil die Gefühlserregung nachließ und auf die Anspannung natürlich Abspannung folgte. Auch die Conventikelleute blieben aus. Die Augsburgische Confession mochte ihnen zu trocken seyn, weil da nicht immer bloß von der Bekehrung und andere Lieblingsmaterien der Conventiculisten gehandelt wird und weil sie durch die Ordnung gehindert wurden, sich auf ihre Weise zu ergehen.

Ich wußte aber doch nicht gewiß, wie ich mir dieses Einschlafen der Stunden zu deuten hatte. Da erschienen vor Pfingsten dieses Jahres die Methodisten wieder und fingen wieder an vor dem Hause der ihnen angehörigen Familien des Settlements zu predigen. Und siehe, meine Conventikelleute strömten wieder hinzu und verkehrten mit den Methodisten aufs Freundlichste. Ein wohlhabender, aber als habsüchtig verschrieener Conventikelmann des Settlements, welcher ein Cotton gin haus erbaut, aber durch eigne Unvorsichtigkeit sein theures Gebäude mit vieler darin niedergelegter Baumwolle des Settlements abgebrannt und dadurch in Verdrießlichkeiten mit der armen Leuten gerathen war, wurde um seines Geizes und anderer daraus herrührender Unarten willen vielfach gestraft. Durch diesen Mann, dessen Frau ein Ausbund ist, hatte sich eine Opposition gegen mich und den größeren Theil der Gemeine gebildet. So lief man nun nicht bloß aus Beweggründen religiöser Richtung, sondern auch aus Haß zu den Methodisten. Zu diesem Treiben konnte ich nicht schweigen. Ich erklärte am Sonntage vor Pfingsten in der Gemeine gebe sich ein zwiefacher Geist und dieser müsse entweder versöhnt werden, oder es müsse eine Trennung erfolgen, oder ich müsse wegziehen. Und die Gemeine wurde sodann zu einer Gemeindeversammlung durch mich zusammenberufen. Die Methodistenfreunde erschienen nicht in Person, sondern sandten zu dieser am 3 Pfingstage Nachmittags gehaltenen Gemeindeversammlung einen Brief mit 13 Unterschriften, worin sie ihre Trennung von uns aussprachen. Diese Unterzeichneten machten mit Einschluß ihrer Familien etwa den fünften Theil dieser meiner Hauptgemeine aus, während meine zweite 40 Meilen von hier liegende Gemeine in New Ulm und Umgegend, zu der ich immer noch jede fünfte Woche zu Pferde reise, von dieser Bewegung gar nicht berührt ist, da sie den Methodismus, der auch sie früher anfocht, gänzlich überwunden hat. Diese meine Separatisten sind aber nun doch nicht zu den Methodisten gegangen, sondern vielmehr mit ihnen neuerlich zerfallen. Denn es ist in diesen meinen Separatisten noch zu viel lutherisches Blut. Sie greifen aber in ihrem Briefe hauptsächlich mich an, daß ich 1) ein Feind des kleinen Häufleins sey, dessen Vereinigung mit dem großen Haufe nicht angehe, was ich doch wolle, daß ich also nicht gehörig aufs geistliche Leben (das heißt im Grunde, auf Stunden) dringe und daß ich 2) die Wiederbringung aller Dinge vertrete. Die Gemeine hat ihnen darauf eingehend geantwortet in einem von mir verfaßten und in der Gemeindeversammlung durchgegangenen Antwortschreiben.

Ad 1) ist zu bemerken, daß die gedachten Separatisten die gläubige lutherische Gemeine sichtbar darstellen wollen dem großen Haufen, der "Pfarrchristen" (mit Zinzendorf zu reden) gegenüber, welche auch zum Wort und Sacrament sich halten, auch zum großen Theil als lebendig Gläubige sich erweisen und eben so gut wandeln, als meine Separatisten, nur nicht in ihre Stunden gehen. Hinc illæ lacrimæ.

Ad 2) habe ich zu sagen, daß ich über die Wiederbringung aller Dinge die 20 Jahre meines Amtes her nie in öffentlicher Predigt ein Wort gesagt habe, daß ich aber voriges Jahr im Gemeinderathe, der zum Theil aus den jetzigen Separatisten bestand, über die Sache reden mußte, weil ein von dieser Lehre schon in Europa angefochtenes Gemeinderathsglied bei einer Gelegenheit die Aeußerung gethan hatte, daß mit dem Tode die Gnade nicht aufhöre. Daraus wurde ein Kirchenzuchtfall. Da wurde im Gemeinderathe die Sprüche pro und contra durchgenommen, wobei ich weniger stürmisch verfuhr, als etliche wünschten, weil ich in diesem schwierigen Falle durch Milde mehr auszurichten gedachte, als durch Schärfe. Das besagte Gemeinderathsglied, sonst eine treue Seele, wurde auch wirklich zum öffentlichen Widerruf seiner gethanen Aeußerung vermocht und ich habe seinen Widerruf im Gemeinderathe, formulirt und mit dessen Zustimmung am Reformationsfest, den 31sten October vorigen Jahres der Gemeine vorgelesen. Aus dieser damaligen Milde meines Verfahrens, wo doch meine jetzigen Ankläger mit mir in der Sache einig waren, macht man mir nun den Vorwurf, daß ich die Wiederbringung aller Dinge vertrete, was nicht der Fall ist und was sie nicht beweisen können. Die Separatisten suchen offenbar nur einigen Vorwand, ihre absonderliche Stellung zu rechtfertigen. Darum muß ich dran.

So stehn die Sachen. Während meine Separatisten für sich stehen und wenigstens noch Lutheraner bleiben wollen, kommen sie doch, da jetzt hier die endemische Fieberkrankheit herrscht, zu mir nach Medizin und ich helfe damit auch Allen, welche kommen, so gut ichs verstehe. Denn ich habe eine homöopathische Apotheke aus Deutschland mit. Ich glaube auch, wir werden bald einig werden, wenn nicht die Differenz in der Lehre läge, nehmlich in der Lehre von der Kirche und den Gnadenmitteln. Ich hoffe aber auf Heilung. Doch muß einige Zeit vergehen. Die mehrsten dieser Leute kommen mir jetzt vor wie Schafe in Wolfskleidern.

Diesen Brief bitte ich als Lebenszeichen den Brüdern dort bekannt zu machen. Damit verbleibe ich im Herrn Er. Hochwürden,

ergebener
Johann Kilian, Pastor.

Additamentum:
Excommuication des Pastors Schieferdecker, wie sie in den gedruckten Verhandlungen der allgemeinen Deutschen ev. luth. Synode von Missouri, Ohio u. a. Staaten v. Jahre 1857 formulirt ist: "Da Herr Pastor Schieferdecker in den gegenwärtigen Verhandlungen geoffenbaret hat, daß er seine eigene chiliastische Auslegung gewisser prophetischer Schriftstellen dem gewissen und klaren Worte Gottes selbst gleichstellet und dieselbe und seine darauf geschöpften Vermuthungen dazu mißbraucht, mehrere Artikel des heiligen christlichen Glaubens, als: Von dem Reiche Christi auf Erden, von Christi Wiederkunft zum jüngsten Gericht, vom jüngsten Tage ungewiß zu machen, einen derselben aber, nehmlich von der allgemeinen Auferstehung der Todten am jüngsten Tage geradezu zu verleugnen, und da alle wiederholten Versuche, den Genannten von seinem Irrsal zurückzuführen, sich als vergeblich bewiesen haben, so erkennt die Synode hieraus, daß Herr Pastor Schieferdecker mit ihr auf Einem Glaubensgrunde nicht mehr stehe, und sieht sich daher genöthigt, demselben die fernere Synodalgemeinschaft aufzusagen."

NS. Die allgemeine obgedachte Synode zählt 4 Districtssynoden: I. Die westliche, deren berathendes Glied ich bin: (Missouri, Illinois, Iowa, Louisiana, Texas) II. Die mittlere (Indiana, Ohio) III. Die nördliche (Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota) IV. Die Östliche (Canada, New York, Pennsylvanien, Maryland, Distr. Columbia, Virginien)

[Translator's note: A copy of the above letter dated 6-25-1858 from Pastor Kilian to Professor Walther was enclosed as Document 3 (Aktenstück 3) in the letter dated 10-19-1858 from Pastor Kilian to Pastor Gumlich, Weigersdorf, Prussia. Pastor Kilian included an excerpt concerning Pastor Schieferdecker from the proceedings of the Synodical Convention held October 14-24, 1857, and the composition of the four synodical districts of the Missouri Synod at that time.]

[Biar, Symmank]

51.6, 25 Jun 1858, 1.1.25.jpg - 405kB

51.6, 25 Jun 1858, 1.2.25.jpg - 428kB

51.6, 25 Jun 1858, 1.3.25.jpg - 411kB

51.6, 25 Jun 1858, 1.4.25.jpg - 187kB

Go To Top