The Wendish Research Exchange
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 058.000 Kilian to Schieferdecker, [CHI, Serbin Collection], 15 Feb 1859
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-10-2015 at 10:09 PM
058.000 Kilian to Schieferdecker, [CHI, Serbin Collection], 15 Feb 1859

Bastrop County, 15 February, 1859

To Pastor G. A. Schieferdecker

Wendish Settlement in Texas, Cunningham‘s Post Office

Dearest Brother!

Your letter of November 23, 1858 though it is desired and dear to me however has caused me a dilemma, so that I am not sure how to respond to you. My main local congregation has experienced a pietistic separation and the separatists have turned to the Missouri Synod to voice their complaint against me. The answer of the Missouri Synod has arrived long after I submitted my ”confession to Chiliasm“. Nevertheless their answer turned out favorably for me. The separatists were denied acknowledgement. Hence, I conclude that the mood in the Missouri Synod is not definitely against me, and that the possible breaking up can yet be prevented. It is for that reason that I do not want to write anything to you, which could appear indiscrete, if it would become public knowledge. I don’t want to hurt my reputation with a less than carefully worded letter to you. It is for this reason, that this time I write to you a brief letter and only not to leave your kind words of welcome unanswered.

I only will share with you here, what the key to my opinion of chiliasm is. I believe that not a 1000 year empire (realm) is up to come but only a 1000 year reign of the Saints with Christ on this earth as documented in John’s Revelation, chapter 20. In my opinion the thought according a particular empire (realm) certainly leads to Jewish ideas. I by no means like the expression of the “1000 year empire (realm)”.

That in your letter you blame the Missouri Synod for an “arbitrary narrowed belief analogy”, I find that to be a favorably chosen expression. If I am not wrong, the Missouri Synod mistakes the “orthodox school” with the evangelical Lutheran church and as a result finds itself in one-sidedness and narrow-mindedness of which each school is used to suffer from.

If the Iowa Synod, which adheres to the Lutheran confession, remains free from the influences of all schools, the future of the Lutheran church will sort itself out. But should she maybe mix up the Löheans or another school with the Lutheran church, the same way the Missouri Synod mixed up the old orthodox school with the evangelical Lutheran church, I would advise you to stand alone, until the free Lutheran church will come to America, if she has not already arrived. Because she will have a great future.

So much for today. I remain in the Lord your humble

Johann Kilian, Pastor

Translated by Margot Hendricks

Bastrop Co., den 15ten Februar 1859.

An G. A. Schieferdecker, P.

Wendische Ansiedlung in Texas, Cunningham’s P. O.

Geliebter Bruder!

Ihre Zuschrift vom 23 Novbr 1858 hat mich, so erwünscht und lieb Sie mir auch ist, doch in einige Verlegenheit gesetzt, so daß ich nicht recht weiß, was ich Ihnen schreiben soll. Es ist in meiner hiesigen Hauptgemeine eine pietistische Separation vorgefallen und die Separatisten haben sich u? mit Anklagen gegen mich an die Missouri-Synode gewendet. Die Antwort der Missouri-Synode ist gekommen, nachdem ich mein „Bekenntniß vom Chiliasmus“ längst eingereicht hatte, und dennoch ist diese ihre Antwort für mich günstig ausgefallen. Die Separirten sind abgewiesen. Daraus schließe ich, daß in der Missouri-Synode die Stimmung nicht durchaus gegen mich sey, und daß der mögliche Bruch vielleicht noch abgewendet werden könnte. Deshalb möchte ich Ihnen nichts schreiben, was als indiscret erscheinen könnte, wenn es etwa bekannt würde. Ich möchte mir durch einen unvorsichtigen Brief an Sie nicht selbst schaden. Deshalb schreibe ich Ihnen dießmal nur kurz und bloß, um Ihre freundliche Begrüßung nicht unerwidert zu lassen.

Nur so viel theile ich Ihnen schon jetzt mit, was der Kern meiner Meinung vom Chiliasmus ist. Ich glaube, daß nicht ein tausendjähriges „Reich“, sondern nur eine tausendjährige Regirung der [in der] Offenb. Joh. 20 bezeichneten Heiligen mit Christo bevorsteht. Der Gedanke eines besonderen „Reiches“ führt allerdings meinem Dafürhalten nach auf jüdische Ideen. Darum kann ich den herkömmlichen Ausdruck „tausendjähriges Reich“ ganz und gar nicht leiden.

Daß Sie der Missouri-Synode eine in Ihrem Briefe „willkürlich verengerte Glaubensanalogie“ schuldgeben, das ist ein glücklich gewählter Ausdruck. Wenn ich nicht irre, so verwechselt die Missouri-Synode die „orthodoxe Schule“ mit der ev. lutherischen Kirche und gerät so in Einseitigkeit u. Engherzigkeit, an welcher jede Schule sich zu kranken pflegt.

Wenn die Iowa-Synode, zum lutherischen Bekenntniße stehend, frei von allen Schulen sich hält, so wird sich die Zukunft der lutherischen Kirche finden. Verwechselt sie aber vielleicht die Löhesche oder eine andere Schule mit der lutherischen Kirche, wie die Missouri-Synode die alte orthodoxe Schule mit der ev. lutherischen Kirche verwechselt, so rathe ich Ihnen, einsam da zustehen, bis die freie lutherische Kirche in Amerika kommt, wenn sie nicht schon da ist. Denn diese wird eine große Zukunft haben.

So viel für dießmal. Ich verbleibe im Herrn

Ihr ergebener
Johann Kilian, P.

Transliterated by Christian Symmank

58.1, 15 Feb 1859.5.jpg - 965kB

58.2, 15 Feb 1859.5.jpg - 924kB

Go To Top