The Wendish Research Exchange
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 091.500 Kilian to Walther, Declaration [CHI, Serbin Collection], 21 Dec 1865
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-14-2015 at 01:43 PM
091.500 Kilian to Walther, Declaration [CHI, Serbin Collection], 21 Dec 1865

This document is the attachment that is included in 091.400. It is put here because of the original attached to it.

Declaration

Mr. C. F. W. Walther, Professor at the Theological Concordia College in St. Louis, Missouri, recently wrote me: “About a year ago I read some parts of a letter you wrote to Saxony and which the “Sächsische Kirchen und Schulblatt” partially imparted. Therein you pointed out your dissatisfaction with our synod and declared this for a reason why you have withdrawn yourself from it. Among other things you declared yourself in it with reference to our synod that you were likewise an opponent of fanatical chiliasts as an opponent of fanatical antichiliasts.”

This announcement induces me to declare in this paper for the time being that I did in no way withdraw myself from the mentioned German Synod of Missouri, Ohio and other States of which I have been a member since the year 1855, but that upon my counsel my local congregation is even now at the point of joining this synod.

In none of the American Synods, which call themselves Lutheran, could I look for and find my church and spiritual home except in the Missouri Synod, whose founders are Saxons as well. This synod is a mighty blessed witness of the truth in this part of the world. Their publications are my joy in my loneliness.

There is only one thing I cannot get over, that during the course of the conflict which broke out in this my synod concerning the hope for better times on earth, the antichiliasm became the domineering direction of the synod in the mentioned relationship. For as much as I agree that according to the approach in the 17th Article of the Augsburg Confession enthusiastic excesses of chiliasm are repudiated, I am also of the opinion that principles of chiliasm, which have the wording of biblical texts for themselves, cannot be refuted and rejected by explanations which often are hard to conceive or by the simple wording of prophecy. On that account, while my congregation is still unaffected by the dispute, I have not come to terms with my synod on this point.

Nevertheless, it is not proper for me to denote the antichiliasm of my synod so hard as it has happened, because my knowledge of Scripture may be inadequate. Therefore I publicly withdraw hereby this harsh denotation. On this occasion of the unavoidable explanation in this paper I offer all my old friends in beloved Saxony my cordial greeting. I announce to them that there are no longer any obstacles in Texas of the exchange of letters with foreign countries and that my address is: Rev. John Kilian, Serbin, Bastrop County, Texas.

Perhaps through this notice one of my acquaintances will be moved to revive the old friendship with a small letter.

Serbin, 21st December 1865
Johann Kilian, Pastor.

[Biar, Christian Symmank]

Erklärung

Herr C. F. W. Walther, Professor am theologischen Concordia College in St. Louis, Missouri, schrieb mir neulich: "Vor etwa einem Jahr las ich einige Stellen aus einem Schreiben, das Sie nach Sachsen geschrieben haben und welches das Sächsische Kirchen- und Schulblatt zum Theil mittheilte. Darin sprachen Sie Ihre Unzufriedenheit mit unserer Synode aus und erklärten dies für einen Grund, warum Sie sich von derselben zurückgezogen hätten. Unter Anderem sprachen Sie sich mit Beziehung auf unsere Synode darin aus, daß Sie ebenso ein Gegner der fanatischen Chiliasten, als Gegner der fanatischen Antichiliasten seien."

Diese Mittheilung veranlaßt mich, in diesem Blatte vorerst zu erklären, daß ich von der gedachten Deutschen Synode von Missouri, Ohio und andern Staaten, deren Mitglied ich seit dem Jahre 1855 bin, mich keinesweges zurückgezogen habe, sondern daß auf mein Anrathen auch meine hiesige Gemeine eben jetzt im Begriff steht, sich dieser Synode anzuschließen.

In keiner der Amerikanischen Synoden, die sich lutherisch nennen, könnte ich meine kirchliche und geistliche Heimath suchen und finden, als in der Missouri Synode, deren Gründer ja auch Sachsen sind. Es ist diese Synode ein gewaltiger, gesegneter Zeuge der Wahrheit in diesem Welttheil. Ihre Schriften sind meine Freude in meiner Einsamkeit.

Nur das Eine kann ich nicht verwinden, daß im Verlauf eines Zwiespalts, der über der Hoffnung besserer Zeiten auf Erden in dieser meiner Synode ausgebrochen war, der Antichiliasmus als die herrschende Richtung der Synode in gedachter Beziehung hervorgeraten ist. Denn wie sehr ich auch damit einverstanden bin, daß nach dem Vorgang des 17ten Artikels der Augsburgischen Confession schwärmerische Auswüchse des Chiliasmus verworfen werden, so sehr bin ich doch der Meinung, daß Grundsätze des Chiliasmus, welche den Wortlaut biblischer Aussprüche für sich haben, sich nicht durch Erklärungen, die oft schwer zu fassen es (?) sind, als den einfachen Wortlaut der Weissagung, sich widerlegen und abweisen lassen. Darum während meine Gemeine von der Streitfrage noch unberührt ist, bin ich mit meiner Synode in diesem Punkte nicht einig geworden.

Dennoch aber geziemt es mir nicht, den Antichiliasmus meiner Synode so hart zu bezeichnen, denn wie geschehen ist, weil meine Schrifterkenntniss unzulänglich sein mag. Ich nehme daher jene harte Bezeichnung hiermit öffentlich zurück.
Bei Gelegenheit dieser nothgedrungenen Erklärung in diesem Blatte entbiete ich allen meinen alten Freunden im theuren Sachsenlande meinen herzlichen Gruß. Ich zeige ihnen an, daß in Texas dem Briefwechsel mit dem Auslande jetzt keine Hindernisse mehr im Wege stehen und daß meine Adresse also lautet: Rev. John Kilian Serbin Bastrop Co. Texas.

Vielleicht läßt doch einer meiner Bekannten durch diese Anzeige sich bewegen die alte Freundschaft mit einem Brieflein aufzufrischen.

Serbin den 21sten December 1865
Johann Kilian, Pastor.

[Biar, Christian Symmank]

91.4.1 22 Dec 1865.40.jpg - 256kB

91.4.2 22 Dec 1865.50.jpg - 390kB

91.4.3 22 Dec 1865.50.jpg - 411kB

91.4.4 22 Dec 1865.75.jpg - 589kB

Go To Top