The Wendish Research Exchange
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 092.883 Kilian to Obenhaus [CHI, Serbin Collection] 10 Oct 1867
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-31-2015 at 08:28 PM
092.883 Kilian to Obenhaus [CHI, Serbin Collection] 10 Oct 1867

October 10, 1867, Serbin, Bastrop County, Texas

Mr. Julius Obenhaus, Content, Bastrop County, Texas

Dear brother,

I received your letter of September 13th on the 6th day of October of this year. That was just the day that I was going to write you. It took your letter three weeks to travel the forty miles from Content to Serbin. It is no wonder since La Grange is a tainted risky city in which no one wants to venture into.

On the 29th of September the Galveston newspaper published a list of all the known dead from La Grange who died between August 17 through September 17. The list included the deceased who fled La Grange for the countryside. At the time of the list the total number of the victims of the epidemic was 106. Now that number is certainly going to reach 200. Under such circumstances I know the postal service must also fall into confusion.

In Brenham the yellow fever rages equally terrible. In Galveston must certainly around 1000 have died.We have still had no cases in Serbin where someone has died of the yellow fever. The usual sickness from the fever is devastating and most often results in death. Thank God for his grace, that we poor sinners, to our benefit, have not been terribly punished as is the case with so many other cities in Texas and as is also with our neighbor city of La Grange, which is only 18 miles from us and has become a city of fear.

Since you along with your family have been somewhat sick and also Bergthold’s family has been very ill your location in this wet year has not created a favorable impression. I do hope, that you at least will be spared from the yellow fever and all of you still survive. Someone from the Louis Settlement has written to me to say that I should not come on the 6th of October because almost everyone there is sick.

My wife and I in a remarkable way have not been sick at all this year. Also, my children, Bernhard, Herrmann and Hulda, remain healthy at this time. Only my oldest daughter, Theresia, now in her eleventh year, has suffered a while from a stealthy fever and is still very pale and weak.

I do not yet venture to travel into the countryside because the epidemic of illness continues to spread farther, and because one still finds many sick people wherever one goes. October must first pass and get us past this warm weather. I have promised to preach in Rodersmill in Austin County on November 17, where a new parish is beginning to shape up. For that reason I cannot come sooner than the first [Sunday] of Advent.

Announce to the people of your area that I want to meet with them on November 30, around the first [Sunday] in Advent, the first of December to preach in their house of worship and to administer the Lord’s Supper.

I am sorry that your babies must wait so long to be baptized, but I have to wait on colder weather and the end of this period of sickness. With God’s help I am coming on December 1st without asking for a letter from you, which could remain in transit a long time again.

Extend my greetings to your lovely wife and children along with everyone else who has asked about me. Also, extend my greetings to Mr. Boettcher, the Postmaster. Remain in the command of God’s grace and protection and make mention of me before the Lord.

Faithfully yours, Pastor Johann Kilian

[Translated by Joel R. Meador]

Serbin, Bastrop Co., Texas am 10ten October 1867.

Mr. Julius Obenhaus, Content, Colorado Co., Texas

Geliebter Bruder!

Ihren Brief vom 13ten September d. J. habe ich am 6ten October empfangen, also gerade an dem Tage, an welchem ich bei Ihnen sein wollte und sollte. Der Brief ist sonach die 40 Meilen von Content bis Serbin 3 Wochen langen gegangen. Das ist auch kein Wunder! Denn LaGrange ist jetzt eine verpestete Stadt, in die fast Niemand hinein zu gehen wagt.

Die Galvestoner deutsche Zeitung vom 29sten September machte eine Liste der Todten aus LaGrange bekannt, welche vom 17 Aug. bis zum 17ten September starben, mit Einschluß derer im Lande Gestorbenen, die aus LaGrange geflohen waren. Nach dieser Liste war damals die Gesammtzahl der Opfer der Epidemie 106. Jetzt wird die Zahl gewiß an die 200 reichen. Unter solchen Umständen mußte auch die Postverwaltung in LaGrange in Unordnung geraten.

In Brenham wütet das gelbe Fieber gleichfalls schrecklich. Und in Galveston müssen gewiß um 1000 gestorben sein.
In Serbin haben wir noch keinen Fall gehabt, daß Jemand am gelben Fieber gestorben wäre. Die gewöhnlichen Fieberkrankheiten haben aber ziemlich gehaust, auch einzelne Todesfälle hat es gegeben. Gott sei Dank für seine Gnade, die uns arme Sünder nicht nach unserm Verdienste straft, während so viele Städte in Texas furchtbar heimgesucht werden und während selbst unsre Nachbarstadt LaGrange, die nur 18 Meilen von uns entfernt ist, eine Stadt des Schreckens geworden ist.

Daß Sie mit Ihrer Familie etwas krank gewesen sind, und daß auch Bergthold’s viel gekrankt haben, kann bei Ihrer Lage in diesem nassen Jahre nicht befremden. Ich hoffe, daß Sie wenigstens vom gelben Fieber werden verschont bleiben, und freue mich nur, daß Sie noch alle leben. Aus dem Louis Settlement ließ man mir sagen, ich sollte zum 6ten October nicht kommen, es wärenda fast alle krank.

Ich mit meiner Frau bin in diesem Jahre merkwürdiger Weise gar nicht krank gewesen, auch meine Kinder Bernhard, Herrmann u. Hulda blieben allezeit gesund. Nur meine älteste Tochter Theresia, nun im 11ten Altersjahre litt lange am schleichenden Nervenfieber und ist noch sehr blaß u. schwach.

Ich wage jetzt noch nicht ins Land zu reisen, weil die epidemische Krankheit sich immer weiter verbreitet, und weil man noch zu viele Kranke findet, wo man hinkommt. Der October muß erst vorübergehen, da es noch immer so oft warmes Wetter gibt. Am 17ten November habe ich versprochen in Rodersmill, Austin Co. zu predigen, wo sich eine neue Gemeine zu bilden anfängt. Daher kann ich zu Ihnen nun nicht eher kommen, als zum 1sten Advent.

Machen Sie den Leuten Ihrer Gegend bekannt, daß ich am 30sten, November bei Ihnen eintreffen will, um am 1sten Advent, den 1sten December, in Ihrem Hause zu predigen und heiliges Abendmahl zu halten.

Es thut mir leid, daß Ihre Kindlein so lange auf die Taufe warten müssen. Aber ich muß kälteres Wetter und das Ende der Krankheitsperiode abwarten. Ich komme zum 1sten December, so Gott will, ohne einen Brief von Ihnen zu verlangen, der ja wieder liegen bleiben könnte.

Grüßen Sie von mir Ihre liebe Frau u. Ihre lieben Kinder und Alle, die nach mir fragen, auch den Postmeister Hrn. Böttcher. Bleiben Sie der Gnade und Obhut Gottes befohlen und gedenken Sie vor dem Herrn.

Ihres ergebenen,
Johann Kilian, P.

[Transliterated by Christian Symmank]

Letter 92.883.1 10 Oct 1867.25.jpg - 287kB

Letter 92.883.2 10 Oct 1867.25.jpg - 248kB

Go To Top