The Wendish Research Exchange
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 101.400 Mattig to Kilian [CHI, Serbin Collection] 18 Apr 1868 Wendish
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-1-2015 at 09:11 AM
101.400 Mattig to Kilian [CHI, Serbin Collection] 18 Apr 1868 Wendish

Uhyst, April 18, 1868

Dear Uncle!

As again a year has past already since I last wrote a letter to you, and until now, received no letter from America, I am thinking that either my letter to you was somehow lost on the way to America or (yours) to me on the way to Europe. Therefore, I permit myself to send you a new one. I am, as already mentioned in the last letter, a theological student in Leipzig since Easter of 1867 and have now already participated in the academic life for a whole year, that is listening with astonishment to the wonderful words and teaching that I hear from honorable people, for example: D. Luthardt (theological Ordained Pastor), D. Kahnis (theological Ordained Pastor), J. Bruckner (theological Ordained Pastor), D. Lechner (theological Ordained Pastor), D. Delitzsch (theological Ordained Pastor), J. Fricke (theological Ordained Pastor), D. Tischendorf (theological Ordained Pastor), J. Molemann (theological Ordained Pastor), Honerable D. Hofmann (theological Ordained Pastor), Licensed Doctor ph. Schmidt (limited theological pastorate), D. Brockhaus. Of these professors I have mostly heard Kahnis, Luthard, Bruckner and also Delitzsch (who first came last year at Michaelmas [Sept. 20 Feast of St. Michael] from Erlangen to Leipzig). In the last semester, Kahnis had so many listeners for “The Relationship of the New Philosophy to Theology” that many sat on the edge of the cathedral and many others stood. In the last semester Kahnis taught: “2nd Century Church History” 6 hours, “Encyclopedia of Theology” 4 hours, “The Relationship of the New Philosophy to Theology” 2 hours; Luthardt (taught): “Explanation of the Letter to the Hebrews” 4 hours, “Dogmatics” 6 hours; Brueckner (taught): “Practical Theology of the 2nd Century” 6 hours, “Biblical Theology of the New Testament” 4 hours, “Practical Exposition of Difficult --- (?)” 2 hours; Lachler (taught): “Christian Dogmatic History” 6 hours, “Explanation of the Letters of Peter” 2 hours; Delitzsch (taught): “Introduction to the Writings of the Old Testament” 4 hours, “Exposition of Genesis” 4 hours, “Explanation of the Letter to the Galatians” 2 hours; Fricke (taught): “History of the ---- (?) Theology since Espinoza” 3 hours, “Explanation of 1 Corinthians” 4 hours, “About Schelling’s Revelation Philosophy and its Relationship to Positive Christianity” 2 hours; Tichendorf (taught): “About the Holy Land” 2 hours, “Ancient Greek Writing” 2 hours; Hoelmann (taught): “(?Salvation) of the Ancient Hebrews” 2 hours; Hofmann (taught): “Symbolics” 4 hours, “Catechetics” 4 hours; Schmidt taught: “Introduction to the New Testament” 4 hours, “New Testamental ----(?)” 2 hours; Brockhaus (taught): “History of the Apostolic Generation” 4 hours.

From Easter of 1867 until Michaelmas there were 1200 students, from Michaelmas to Easter of 1868 (there were) around 1300. Rector Magnificent is for the present D. Hankel, physics Ordained Pastor, Professor from the Philosophy faculty. About Professor Delitzsch I have to tell you a good one. Rector Mr. Palm of the Bautzen grammar school recommended him to me and as I searched for him, he invited me and a second student at an appointed day. It happened that he went with us into a lousy place (?) for a cup of coffee. On this occasion we happened to also think about you and Professor Delitzsch asked me that when I write you again that I convey to you all that is good from him, one of your old fellow students. Herewith I have fulfilled his request.

Last Easter I received for the first time the Royal Scholarship (30 Marks per year), that is until Easter 1870, after Michaelmas also a (?) Scholarship, and also for the coming semester 3 RoyalTables (?) per week. The money for the lecture I can delay paying, how it will continue, I do not know.
Further, I have applied for a position in Konvikt but I have not received it. As far as the holidays, I go to Leipzig and then back in the Lausitz where I live. The next great change will happen in Hochkirch. Since Pastor Mohn lays aside his office and Lahode (Wahade) from Loebau will take his place. Pastor Domaschke from Nostitz, as one hears, will take the place from Lahode. This is yet still uncertain.

Now also something about our relatives: Lene died on March 31st after she was sick for about a week. Aunt Blasius (Blasig?) in Hochkirch is truly considerably low, but she can still go with her cane in the room. The Meschwitzer granny is still of good health and visits her son, daughter and grandson. As opposed to this, Jan from Niethen, is frequently sick and has to watch out that he does not catch cold or be harmed in some other way. The Niethener and Kohlwesaers pass on to you all (that is) well. The youngest son of the Mirtschins left the seminary the previous Easter and is now a teacher in Biehle near Kamenz. Uncle and Aunt Baier are well. I am also to greet you in Uncle’s name. He wrote you a letter in the past year. As he has not as yet received an answer, he charged me to ask if you had received his letter or if it was lost. All are well in Wuischke. Father works in the field and mother is housekeeper. Both are somewhat concerned and ask you how much money will my seminary cost? But it is not all that bad. My brother, Gustav, did not have to go to (“Rekrutierung” = “Recruiting”) (?) this past summer and now operates the mill and helps to earn money which is used for me and my little brother, Handrij, who is in upper tertia (third) in grammar school.

A change has come to the grammar school in Bautzen in that as one begins his 1st year course, what follows is that from now and only to Easter would begin a new school (?year?) and can become delegated for departure now to Easter to Leipzig. One has to stay in grammar school for 9 years and the new class designations are: upper primary, lower primary, upper secondary, lower secondary, upper tertiary, lower tertiary, fourth, fifth, sixth. The old senior Assistant Master, Jaehne, is retired since Easter 1887 as for the reason of age he could no longer practice his office.

But further with the family news. My youngest brother, Carl, begins his 4th year in school. My older sister, Maria, was for the last year in Bautzen in order to learn cooking. Now she remains at home and gives mother a hand. My youngest sister, Lene, goes to school at Easter.

So I now send my letter on its way over the long sea in the distant America in the hope that it will have a fortunate trip and all of you, you, your wife and your dear children reach good health. All good is delivered to all of you with this letter ---
Karl August Mattig, Madlena Petzig, Ernst Willem Mattig student of theology, Friedrich August Mattig, Maria Theresa Mattig, Jan Handrij Mattig, Carl Gustav Mattig. Hanna Christiane Mattig.

Cordial greetings,
Johann Traugott Mattig

[Translated by H. Melvin Symmank]

Uhyst, am 18. April 1868

Geliebter Onkel!

Weil schon wieder ein Jahr vergangen ist, seit ich meinen letzten Brief an Sie schrieb, und bis jetzt keinen Brief aus Amerika erhielt, denke ich, daß entweder mein Brief an Sie auf dem Weg nach Amerika, oder der an mich auf dem Weg nach Europa auf irgendeine Weise verloren gingen. Ich erlaube mir deshalb, erneut einen an Sie abzuschicken.

Ich bin, wie schon im letzten Brief erwähnt, seit Ostern 1867 Student der Theologie in Leipzig und habe nun schon ein ganzes Jahr am akademischen Leben teilgenommen, d. h., den wunderbaren Worten und Lehren mit Erstaunen gelauscht, die ich von ehrenhaften Menschen hörte, wie z.B. D. Luthardt, th.P.O., D. Kahnis, th.P.O., J. Brückner th. P.O., D. Lechner th.P.O., D. Delitzsch th.P.O., J. Fricke th.P.O., D.Tischendorf th.P.O., J. Mölemann th.P.O.Hon., D. Hofmann th.P.O.Hon., Lic.D. ph. Schmidt th.P.E., D. Brockhaus. Von diesen Professoren haben Kahnis, Luthard, Brückner und auch Delitzsch (der erst im letzten Jahr zu Michaeli aus Erlangen nach Leipzig gekommen war) am meisten Hörer. Kahnis hatte, als er im letzten Semester ´Das Verhältnis der neueren Philosophie zur Theologie´ las, so viele Zuhörer, daß einige selbst auf dem Rande des Katheders saßen und viele andere standen. Kahnis las im letzten Semester: Kirchengeschichte 2. Jh., 6 St., Encyclopedia der Theologie 4 St., Das Verhältnis der neueren Philosophie zur Theologie, 2 St; Luthardt: Erklärung des Hebräerbriefes, 4 St., Dogmatik 6 St.; Brückner: Praktische Theologie 2. Jh. 6 St., biblische Theologie des neuen Test. 4 St., praktische Auslegung schwierigerer … 2 St.; Lachler: Christliche Dogmengeschichte 6 St. Erklärung der Briefe Petri 2 St; Delitzsch: Einleitung in die Schriften des alten Testaments 4 St., Auslegung der Genesis, 4 St., Erklärung des Galaterbriefes 2 St; Fricke: Geschichte der …ulativen Theologie seit Espinoza 3 St., Auslegung des 1. Korintherbriefes 4 St., über Schellings Offenbarungsphilosophie und ihr Verhältnis zum positiven Christentum 2 St.; Tischendorf: Über das heilige Land 2 St., griechische Paläographie 2 St., Hölemann: heil. Altertümer der Hebräer 2 St.; Hofmann: Symbolik 4 St., Kathechetik 4 St., Schmidt: Einleitung in das neue Testament 4 St., Neutestamentliche …autik 2 St., Brockhaus: Geschichte des postol. Zeitalters 4 St.

Von Ostern 67 bis Michaeli gab es etwa 1200 Studenten, von Michaeli bis Ostern 68 etwa 1300. Rektor Magnifizenz is z.Z. D. Hankel phys.P.O., Professor von der philosophischen Fakultät. Von Prof. Delitzsch soll ich Ihnen alles Gute sagen. Ich wurde ihm vom Rektor des Bautzener Gymnasiums, Herrn Palm, empfohlen, und als ich ihn besuchte, lud er mich und einen weiteren Studenten an einem bestimmten Tage zu sich ein. Dies geschah und er ging dann mit uns in Reudnitz auf eine Tasse Kaffee. Bei dieser Gelegenheit haben wir auch an Sie gedacht und Prof. Delitzsch bat mich, wenn ich Ihnen erneut schreibe, von ihm, einen ihrer alten Kommilitonen, alles Gute zu übermitteln. Hiermit erfülle ich seine Bitte.

Vergangene Ostern erhielt ich zum ersten Mal das königliche Stipendium (30 Mark auf´s Jahr), d.h. bis Ostern 1870, nach Michaeli auch ein … Stipendium, und auch für das kommende Semester 3-Königs-Tische pro Woche. (??). Das Geld für Kollegien bekam ich gestundet, wie es weiter gehen wird, weiß ich nicht. Einen Platz im Konvikt, für den ich mich auch beworben habe, habe ich noch nicht erhalten. Soviel zu Leipzig, und nun zurück in die Lausitz, wo ich mich z.Z. aufhalte, da Ferien sind. In Hochkirch wird es demnächst eine große Veränderung geben. Pfarrer Möhn legt nämlich sein Amt nieder und an seine Stelle kommt Łahode (Wahode) aus Löbau. Auf die Stelle von Łahode kommt, wie man hört, Pfarrer Domaschke aus Nostitz. Dies ist aber noch ungewiß.

Nun noch etwas aus unserer Verwandtschaft. Am 31. März verstarb … Lene, nachdem sie etwa 1 Woche krank gewesen war. Die Tante Blasius in Hochkirch ist zwar ziemlich darnieder, mit ihrem Stock kann sie aber noch in der Stube umher gehen. Die Meschwitzer Oma ist aber bei guter Gesundheit und besucht ihre Söhne, Töchter und Enkel. Demgegenüber ist der Jan aus Niethen häufig krank und er muß aufpassen, daß er sich nicht erkältet oder auf andere Weise Schaden nimmt. Die Niethener und Kohlwesaer lassen Ihnen alles Gute ausrichten. Der jüngste Sohn von Mirtschins hat vorige Ostern das Seminar verlassen und ist nun Lehrer in Biehla bei Kamenz. Onkel und Tante Baier sind gesund. In Onkel´s Namen soll ich auch grüßen. Er hat im vergangenen Jahr den letzten Brief an Sie geschrieben. Weil er aber bis jetzt keine Antwort erhalten hat, läßt er fragen, ob Sie seinen Brief erhalten haben oder ob er verloren ging. Bei uns in Wuischke sind alle gesund. Vater arbeitet auf dem Feld und Mutter wirtschaftet. Beide waren aber etwas besorgt und fragten sich, wieviel Geld wohl mein Studium kosten würde. So schlimm ist es aber nicht. Mein Bruder Gustav war vergangenen Sommer zu Rekrutierung, mußte aber nicht gehen und betreibt jetzt die Mühle und hilft so Geld zu verdienen, das ich und mein kleinerer Bruder Handrij, welcher ´Obertertianer´ am Gymnasium ist, verbrauchen. Am Gymnasium in Bautzen kam es zu einer Veränderung, als daß man einen 1-Jahres-Kurs einführte, was bedeutet, daß von nun an nur zu Ostern neue Schüler aufgenommen werden und Abgänger nur zu Ostern nach Leipzig delegiert werden können. 9 Jahre müssen sie nun am Gymnasium bleiben, und die Klassen nach der Neuordnung sind: ´Oberprima,´´Unterprima,´ ´Obersekunda,´ ´Untersekunda,´ ´Obertertia,´ ´Untertertia,´ ´Quanta,´ ´Quinta,´ ´Sexta,´ Der alte Konrektor Jähne ist seit Ostern 67 emeritiert, da er aus Altersgründen sein Amt nicht mehr ausüben konnte. Nun aber weiter mit den Familiennachrichten. Mein jüngster Bruder Carl besucht das 4. Jahr die Schule. Meine ältere Schwester Maria war das letzte Jahr in Bautzen, um Kochen zu lernen. Jetzt bleibt sie zuhause und geht Mutter zur Hand. Meine jüngste Schwester Lene geht zu Ostern in die Schule.

So schicke ich nun meinen Brief auf den Weg über´s weite Meer in das ferne Amerika in der Hoffnung, daß er die Reise glücklich übersteht und sie alle, Sie, ihre Ehefrau und ihre lieben Kinder bei guter Gesundheit erreicht. Alles Gute übermitteln ihnen allen mit diesem Brief - Karl August Mättig, Madlena Petzig, Ernst Willem Mättig, Student der Theologie, Friedrich August Mättig, Maria Theresia Mättig, Jan Handrij Mättig, Carl Gustav Mättig,
Hanna Christiane Mättig.

Herzlichen Gruß - Johann Traugott Mättig

[Translated by Martin Strauch]

Wujezd 18. aprila 1868

Lubowany wujo.

Dokelž je hižom lěto zašło, hač ja mój posledni list na was pisał sym, a hač dotal hišće žadyn list z Ameriki dóstał njejsym, da myslu sebi, zo je pak mój posledni list na was na puću do Ameriki, pak waš na mnje na puću do Europy, na někajke wašnje zhubjeny šol. Ja dowolam sebi tohodla, znowa na was list wotpósłać.

Ja sym, kaž ja hižom w poslednim lisće spomnich, wot jutrow 1867 sem student theologije w Lipsku, a sym potajkim hižom jedne cyłe lěto akademiske žiwjenje wužiwał, to rěka, na krasne słowa a hłuboke wučby ze spodźiwanjom posłuchał, kotrež wot česćedostojnych mužow słyšach, jako su Luthard, … Brückner a druzy. Theologiska fakulta ma tuchwilu sćěhowacych professorow: D. Luthard, th.P.O.; D. Kahnis, th.P.O.; J. Brückner th.P.O.; D. Lechner. th.P.O.; D. Delitzsch, th.P.O.; J. Fricke theol. P.O.; D. Tischendorf th. P.O.; J. Mölemann, th.P.O.Hon.; D. Hofmann th.P.O.Hon.; Lic. D. ph. Schmidt, theol. P.E.; D. Brockhaus. Wot tutych profesorow maja Kahnis, Luthard, Brückner a tež Delitzsch, (kiž je hakle w poslednim lěće na Michała z Erlangen do Lipska přišol) najwjace připosłucharjow. Po Kahnisa bě w tej hodźinje, hdźež wón : ´Das Verhältnis der neueren Philosophie zur Theologie´ přednošowaše, tak połne, zo někotři samo na prozy kathedera sedźachu a jich wjele stać dyrbješe. Kahnis je w poslednim semestrje lasował: Kirchengeschichte 2. Jh., 6 St., Encyclopedia der Theologie 4 St., Das Verhältnis der neueren Philosophie zur Theologie, 2 St; Luthardt: Erklärung des Hebräerbriefes, 4 St., Dogmatik 6 St.; Brückner: Praktische Theologie 2. Jh. 6 St., biblische Theologie des neuen Test. 4 St., praktische Auslegung schwierigerer … 2 St.; Lachler: Christliche Dogmengeschichte 6 St. Erklärung der Briefe Petri 2 St; Delitzsch: Einleitung in die Schriften des alten Testaments 4 St., Auslegung der Genesis, 4 St., Erklärung des Galaterbriefes 2 St; Fricke: Geschichte der …ulativen Theologie seit Espinoza 3 St., Auslegung des 1. Korintherbriefes 4 St., über Schellings Offenbarungsphilosophie und ihr Verhältnis zum positiven Christentum 2 St.; Tischendorf: Über das heilige Land 2 St., griechische Paläographie 2 St., Hölemann: Heil. Altertümer der Hebräer 2 St.; Hofmann: Symbolik 4 St., Kathechetik 4 St., Schmidt: Einleitung in das neue Testament 4 St., neutestamentliche …autik 2 St., Brockhaus: Geschichte des postol. Zeitalters 4 St.

Wot jutrow 67 hač do Michała běše něhdźe 1200 studentow wot Michała hač do jutrow 68 něhdźe 1300. Rektor Magnifizenz je tuchwilu D. Hankel phys. P.O. professor z filosofiskeje fakulty. Wot professora Delitzscha mam ja wam wjele dobreho prajić. Ja běch mjenujcy wot kn. Palma, rektora na Budyšinskim gymnaziju, na njeho poručeny, a jako ja jeho wopytach, přeprosy wón mje a hišće jedneho druheho studenta, zo bychmy wěsty dźeń wobaj k njemu přišłoj. To sta so a wón dźěše potom z namaj do Reudnitz na šalku kofeja. Při tutej składnosći smy tež was spominali a prof. Delitzsch prašeše so mje, wam, hdyž zaso na was pisać budu, wot njeho, jedneho wašeho stareho komilitona, wjele dobreho prajić. Ja potajkim tudy z tutym moju přisłušnosć dopjelnju. Ja sym poslednje jutre prěni króć kralowski stipendium (30 hr. na lěto) dóstał, a to hač do jutrow 1870, po Michale tež … stipendium, kaž tež na přichodny semester 3-kralowske blida za tydźeń. Pjenjezy za kolegije sym hač dotal gestundet dóstał, kak dale budźe, njewěm. Convict, na kotryž sym tež próstwu nuc dał, hišće dóstał njejsym. Tak wjele z Lipska, nětko wróćmy so do Łužicy, hdźež tež ja tuchwilu přebywam, dokelž sym na ferijach. W Bukecach budźe so w blišich dnjach wulke přeměnjenje stać. Knjez duchowny Möhn mjenujcy swój hamt dele kładźe, a na jeho městno přindźe Łahoda z Lubija. Na Łahodowe městno poda so, kak so powěda, knjez duchowny Domaška z Nosačic, tola je tole hišće njewěste.

Nětko hišće něšto z našeho přećelstwa. 31. měrca je …anec Lena wumrěła, hdyž běše něhdźe tydźeń chora pobyła Blasiusec ćeta w Bukecach je drje cyle stulena, tola móže hišće z kijom přez stwu hić. Mješinska wowka pak je hišće cyle strowa a wopytuje pjeća swojich synow, swoje dźowki a swojich enkelow. Město toho pak je Něćinski Jan přeco chorowaty a dyrbi so jara nakedźbu brać, zo njeby so nazymnił abo na druhe wašnje sebi škodzil. Něćinscy a tež Kołwazcy dadźa wam tež wjele dobreho prajić. Měrćinec najmłódši syn Jan je poslednje jutry ze seminara šol a je nětko wučer w Běłej pola Kamjenca. Bajerec wuj a ćeta su strowi. W mjenje Bajerec wuja dyrbju was tež postrowić. Wón je tež zańdźene lěto posledni list na was pisał, a dokelž hač do toho časa žadyn zaso dóstał njeje, da da so wón přez mój list sobu prašeć, hač jeho list na was přišoł je abo zhubjeny šol je. Pola nas we Wuježku je wšitko při dobrej strowoće. Nan dźěła na polach a mać wobstara, wobaj staršej pak běštaj w straše, kak wjele pjenjez tola te študowanje w Lipsku koštować budźe. Tola njeje to z tym samym tak zlě. Mój bratr Gustav je w poslednim lěće po rekrutěrowanju był, je pak los přišoł a wobstara nětko młyn a pomha te pjenjezy sobu warbować, kotrež ja a mój mjeńši bratr Handrij, kotryž je ´Obertertianer´ na gymnaziju, přečinimoj. Na gymnaziju w Budyšinje je so mjenujcy na te wašnje wulke přeměnjenje stało, zo je tam jednolětny kursus nutřwjedźeny, tak zo wot nětko jenož na jutry nowi horjebrani a jenož jutry do Lipska preč pušćeni budźa. Nětk dyrbja 9 lět na gymnaziju być, a te klasy, kaž su nětko rjadowane, su: ´oberprima,´ ´unterprima,´ ´obersecunda,´ untersecunda,´ ´obertertia,´ ´untertertia,´ ´quanta,´ ´quinta,´ ´sexta.´ Stary konrektor Jähne je wot jutrow 67 sem emeritěrowany, dokelž staroby dla wjacy swój hamt zastarać njemóžeše. Nětko zaso dale ´in den Familiennachrichten.´ Mój najmłódši bratr Corla chodźi 4. lěto do šule. Moja wjetša sotra Marja je była poslednje lěto w Budyšinje, zo by něšto warić nawuknyła, budźe pak nětko doma maćeri k ruce stać. Moja najmłódša sotra Lena póndźe přichodne jutry do šule.

A tak pósćelu ja mój list na puć přez daloke morjo do dalokeho kraja Ameriki w tej nadźiji, zo tónsamy swoju rejzu zbožownje dokonja a was wšitkich, was, wašu knjeni mandźelsku a waše lubowane dźěći při dobrej strowoće nadeńdźe. Wjele dobreho dadźa wam wšitkim přez tutón list prajić - Karl August Mättig, Madlena Petzigec, Ernst Willem Mättig, student theologije, Friedrich August Mättig, Marja Therezija Mättigec, Jan Handrij Mättig, Carl Gustav Mättig, Hana Christiana Mättigec

Meinen herzlichen Gruß - Johann Traugott Mättig

[Transliterated by Martin Strauch]

Letter 101.4.1 18 Apr 1868.25.jpg - 173kB

Letter 101.4.2 18 Apr 1868.25.jpg - 122kB

Letter 101.4.3 18 Apr 1868.25.jpg - 126kB

Letter 101.4.4 18 Apr 1868.25.jpg - 167kB

Go To Top