The Wendish Research Exchange
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 111.090 Teinert to G. Kilian [CHI, Repp Collection] 16 Oct 1870
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-4-2015 at 10:16 PM
111.090 Teinert to G. Kilian [CHI, Repp Collection] 16 Oct 1870

16 October 1870

Dear Gerhard,

Finally the time has come that I can write to you. For earlier, with our controversy (?), it was, first of all, impossible. But now that the wild waves in Serbin have subsided, I can tell you something more gratifying, but also saddening. Much of this you must have learned from your father’s as well as M. Schulze’s letters. But I think you can also learn something from me because something new is now occurring which was everyone’s concern.

The gratifying thing is this, that we now have settled the matter of the church property, and even in a peaceful manner. Even though both parties needed to express their rights, it was a peaceful transaction. Overall, we decided that we would give back half of what was paid in or worked for, which amounted to $864. The departing St. Peter’s party also get the church. But they did not want to make use of it. They want to build a new church next to your father’s old fields near Kambor’s old place. Also, the separatists received the old organ. This afternoon we had a congregation meeting in which it was decided to continue building the new church. The work was assigned to Carl Lehmann besides others and that the work would now as soon as possible go forward.

You probably are aware of the Wukasch misfortune. That could not continue since, “Pride comes before the fall”. That he was so drunk every day is a shame to write about. That must also have been the cause of his first misfortune, when on the afternoon of the 11th _____, during the full work hours, his cotton gin burned down. This was a great loss that will not easily be restored. Huebner, with his two brothers, today went to see G. Urban. Wukasch also joined the Heubner elite group, as they called themselves. First of all, he was a young inexperienced man, like Heubner, to be misled and corrupted. That is really no great talent. Heubner was not at all able to convince me or many others. Unfortunately, it will be too late when he himself realizes this. On my part, I wish him well. But I am afraid that there will be an investigation that he will not be able to win. But in all of this, may God be praised so that in all eternity all conflict will end. May He keep us and all Christian churches from these conflicts.

Now we have had a very dry period. The new grass has died out as in former winters. And you might remember when you were here that there were rainy days in Serbin, but very few, while others had enough rain. But the ancient good God is and remains wonderful because such a cotton crop I have not had in 16 years. For I have at least 10 bales. During this dry spell, there was much sickness, and now we have had more death occasions than in previous years. Mattheus Schulze and his wife are sick again, especially Liberty is very ___sick. Also my house has received a small cross to bear. My wife and Agnes are lame. Presumably, it is caused by a chill which happens to easily at night. I am well, thank God, and I trust the Lord that there will be less pain now that the conflict is over. Both of your letters arrived today. In your parent’s house, all is well, especially the old Pastor Kilian is very bright and cheerful. But I did not tell him that I have written you this evening. I will not share any other news with you because “some matters about strange people concerns us”. I commend you to the grace of God and hope that these few lines find you in good health. Write to me again when you have the time. I would like to hear something about the seminary and especially how music is practiced there. And don’t forget your violin. It is good and nice when you can play it beautifully. I would, best of all, love to visit you. But Addison is almost at the North Pole, and I am old and also have little time to travel. I am very satisfied when I can visit my old pastor, with whom I have experienced so much in the last 25 years.

Dear Gerhard, it is uncertain whether we shall see each other again. We want to give Jesus all of our love. The rest will take care of itself. Therefore, be entrusted to God’s care.

Your old friend,
Johann Carl Teinert

[Ed Bernthal]

16 Oktober 1870

Lieber Gerhard,

Endlich ist nun einmal die Zeit gekommen das ich an dich schreiben kann, denn früher war es mir bei unserem ______ ersten unmöglich, jetzt da sich die wilden Wellen von Serbin gelegt haben kan ich dir so manches erfreuliches aber auch trauriches erzählen, vieles wirst du noch schon aus deines Vaters so wie auch M. Schulzes Briefen wissen, da aber ich denke etwas kannst du auch durch mich erfahren, den etwas neues passiert ja jetzt bei uns magt alle Sorge.

Das erfreuliches is nun das das wir uns mit unserem Kirchengüter auseinander gezetzt haben und zwar am friedlichen Ertrage aberwohl beide Partheien erdrukerten brauchten, so war das doch eine friedens Verhandling, wir komen so überaus, das wir der auserscheidenen Parthie die hälfte was ja jeder eingezahlt und gearbeit hatte zurueckgeben welches nun 864 dollars ausmacht, auch die St.Petrie Kirche bekommt die auscheidene Parthie welche bauen eine neue Kirche neben deines Vaters Felde nahe Kambas alten bauplatz, auch die alte Orgel bekommen die Seperriatia. Wir hatten nun heute nachmittags eine Gemeinde Versamlung in welchen geschlossen wurde die neue Kirche auszubauen, die Arbeit wurde Carl Lehmann nebst mährere andern übergeben u. wird die Arbeit sobald wie möglich vor sich gehen.

Das Wukasch verunglückt ist wird dir mahl shon bekannt sein, das kant auch nicht so vortgehen denn Hochmut kommt vor dem Fall, dazu er war auch jeden Tag so betrunken das es Schade ist davon zu schreiben, mus auch die Ursache seiner ersten Unglückes das am 11ten ___ nachmittags bei der vollen Arbeit seine Kottengin erbrannte, ein gewaliger Verlust, der sich auch nicht so leight gutmachen läst. Heubner mit seinen zwei Brüdern sind heute zu G. Urban gegangen, also is Wukasch die Heubnerische Enttelbunde, wie er sie nannte läst erst eien jungen unerfahren Mann wie Heubner ist, zu verführen u. zu verderben das ist wohl keine grosse Kunst, Heubner hat es mir und vielen andern nich geglaubt bis ich meines Theile wünsche ihm alles gute, aber ich fürchte, das es jetzt auf eine Probe gestalt ist, welche er nicht bestehen wird, doch ganz davon, Gott sei gepriesen, und das alle Ewigkeit Streit zu ende ist, er wolle uns, und jede Christliche Gemeinde davon bewahren.

Wir haben bis jetzt immer sehr truckene Zeit, das das junge Gras augetrocken ist wie frühern Winter, und du wirst dich noch errinern das bei mir wie du in Serbin warst noch regende Tage aber doch sehr wenig da anderen genug Regen hatte, aber der alte gute Gott ist u. bleib einmahl wunderbar den so eine Kotten Ernte habe ich in den 16 Jahren noch niemahls gehabt, den ich bekomte wenig ganz 10 bullen bei dieser truckenen Zeit, auch haben wir jetzt mehr Todes falle wie im vorrigen ganzen Jahren. Mattheus Schulze u. seine Frau sind auch wieder krank, besonders aber Liberty ist sehr ______krank. Auch in meinem Hause ist ein Kreuzlein eingezogen, meine Frau u. die Agnes sind lahm vermütlich kommt es von erkältung her das hier so leicht des Nachts
passiert, ich, Gott sei dank bin munter und glaube mein Herr werden jetzt minder Schmertz werden da der Krieg in Serbin ende hat. Deinen beiden Briefe kamen heute an In deiner Eltern Hause ist alles wohl, besonders der alte Pastor Kilian ist ganz munter, ich habe ihm aber nicht gesagt das ich noch diesen Abend and dir schreibe. Sonstige Neuingkeiten werde und hoffe, das dich diese paar Zeilen bei guter Gesundheit entreffen, schreibe mir wann du einmahl so viel Zeit hast wieder, ich hörre doch auch gern etwas von Seminar u. besonders wie Musick getrieben wird, vergies auch deine Violin nicht, est ist doch auch gut u. schön wen man so gut u. schön spielen kan, besuchen wuerde ich dich von liebsten, aber Addison ist gar noch am Nord Pol, und ich bin alt u. habe auch wenig Zeit zu reisen, und bin auch sehr zufrieden wenn ich meinem alten Pastor besuchen kann, mit dem wir seit 25 Jahren so manches erfahren haben.

Ob wir uns lieber Gerhad wiedersehen ist ungewies wir wollen den Herrn Jesum alle recht lieb haben, das übrige wird sich schon finden, deshalb Gott befohlen,

Dein alter Freund,
Johann Carl Teinert

[Ed Bernthal]

Letter 111.090.1.12.jpg - 201kB

Letter 111.090.2.12.jpg - 186kB

Letter 111.090.3.12.jpg - 183kB

Letter 111.090.4.12.jpg - 183kB

Go To Top