Author: Subject: 124.570 Kilian to Bünger [CHI, Serbin Collection] 26 May 1873
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-10-2015 at 10:18 PM
124.570 Kilian to Bünger [CHI, Serbin Collection] 26 May 1873

Serbin, Texas 26 May 1873
The Rev. J. F. Bünger, St. Louis, Mo.

Dear Mr. President!

Trusting in your goodness I will send to you an aggregate collection for the continued construction of the pastor’s seminary in St. Louis. I am now accustomed to forward each of my totals by a bill of exchange. In the course of the June, next month, the bill of exchange will, God willing, reach you. The offering totals $30 silver. Whatever falls short of a dollar, I was supplement so that I do not have to deal with cents. Our congregational assembly of April 20 permitted me to ask the congregation for a freewill offering that will be collected at the exit from the church or placed on the altar. I asked for such an offering for Rogate Sunday. But on this day the sky was not friendly on that day. Very early in the morning it became as dark as in the evening. During the early communion, in which I had 64 communicants and during the entire Wendish sermon there was thunder, lightning and torrents of rain so that the people in church that lived on the other side of Rabbs Creek had to spend the night on this side. That is how bad Rapps Creek flooded. A small number of my Germans could not even get to church and yesterday they brought their offering of $5.80.

I hear that Pastor Schmidt will not come here, which is good for him. But my congregational members from Fayette County come to me for communion and church, as if nothing has happened. God will see to it that things go well. That God has permitted the angel of Satan to beat the Apostle Paul with clenched fists must bear its fruit. Amidst such conditions I remain in the Lord.

Sincerely, [Johann Kilian, P.]

[GRN; Biar]

Serbin, Texas, am 26sten Mai 1873
Rev. J. F. Bünger, St. Louis, Mo.

Hochwürdiger, Geliebter Herr Präses!

Ihrer Güte vertrauend werde ich unser zum Weiterbau des Predigerseminars in St. Louis zusammengekommene Opfercollecte Ihnen zusenden. Ich bin nun einmal gewohnt, jede meine Zahlung Ihnen in Wechsel zufertigen zu lassen. Im Bauen des Monats kommenden Juni wird der Wechsel Ihnen, so Gott will, zugehen. Das Opfer betrügt 30 Dollars Silber. Was am letzten Dollar fehlt, pflege ich zuzulegen, damit ich nicht mit Cents zu schaffen habe. Unser Gemeindeversammlung des 20sten April gab mir für das Predigerseminar ein freies Opfer, das vor dem Hinausgehen aus der Kirche auf den Altar gelegt wird, von der Gemeinde zu erbitten. Ich erbat ein solches Opfer auf den Sonntag Rogate. Aber der Himmel war uns an diesen Tage nicht günstig. Gleich früh dunkelte es, wie vor Abend. Während der Frühcommunion, in der ich 64 Communicanten hatte, und während der ganzen Wendischen Predigt hat es geblitzt, gedonnert und gegossen, so daß Kirchleute, die jenseits des Rabbs Creeks wohnen diesseits übernachten mußten. So ist der Rabbs Creek angeschwollen. Meine von übrige Wenigkeit, Deutschen konnten gar nicht zur Kirche kommen und haben ihr Opfer, 5 Doll. 80 Cts., gestern dar gebracht.

+Daß der liebe Gott dem Engel des Satans zugelassen hat, den Apostel Paulus mit Fausten zu schlagen, mußte doch auch seine Frucht bringen.

P. Schmidt kommt nun doch nicht hieher wie ich höre was sein Glück ist. Meine Gemeindeglieder aus Fayette Co. aber kommen bei mir zur Communion u Kirche, als ginge nichts Besonders vor. Gott wird machen, daß die Sachen gehen, wie es heilsam ist. +Jemitten solcher Betrachtungen bleibe ich im Herrn Ew. Hochwürden [Jan Kilian]

[GRN; Biar]

Letter 124.57 26 May 1873.25.jpg - 214kB

Go To Top