Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 125.100 Bünger to Kilian [CHI, Serbin Collection] 6 Nov 1873
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-13-2015 at 07:52 PM
125.100 Bünger to Kilian [CHI, Serbin Collection] 6 Nov 1873

Rev. J. Kilian, Serbin, Bastrop County, TX

Most Honorable Pastor,

We praise and thank God, that the Lord has given back your health and you can continue to lead our church. We hope you are in good spirits and good health. The atmosphere in Serbin appears to be a more harmonious one, as the desired language separation has taken root between the two churches by calling a German speaking pastor. It is for this reason that there is not as much opposition felt any more. The two congregations can exist beside one another and be at peace.

I wanted to ask a favor of you to take care of the installation of Pastor Greif. If you should not be able to do so, please ask Pastor P. Proft to do so. I regret to have heard, that the Teinert Fraction invited a pastor from the Texas Synod to dedicate their church. As a result they also chose to call a pastor from that Synod. Is it really impossible to come to a peaceful understanding between the two churches? So far I have not received an answer to our question, what is going on in the congregation, and why it is desirable to have me there as an intermediary. As the distance to travel would be great, we would like to know, what the reason is, as we also need to let our own congregation know the request for an extended absence. The danger of the Yellow Fever has passed; however, they found a pastor, who does not have an assistant to teach the confirmation lessons. If my personal intervention is needed, then show that council is needed. I would have liked to attend the dedication of a church in Texas once in my life time. I hope that the dedication was an event blessed by the Holy Spirit.

Give my regards to Pastor P. Proft and to your son. In brotherly respect and love,

Your Humble Servant
J. F. Bünger

St. Louis, MO, November 6, 1873

[Translated by Margot Hendricks]

Rev. J. Kilian, Serbin, Bastrop County, TX

Geehrtester Herr Pastor,

Gott sei Lob und Dank, dass der Herr Sie noch länger seiner Kirche erhalten hat. Hoffentlich sind Sie auch wieder munter und bei Kräften. Die Angelegenheiten in Serbin gestalten sich doch auch freundlicher, da die gewünschte Sprach Grenze zwischen den beiden Gemeinden durch die Berufung eines ganz deutschen Pastors entstanden ist. Dadurch ist der Anstoss der Opposition doch mehr beseitigt. Nun können die Gemeinden nebeneinander in ungestörtem Frieden bestehen.

Ich wollte Sie auch daher gebeten haben, seiner Zeit die Einführung des Herrn Pastor Greif zu vollziehen. Im Verhinderungsfalle wollen Sie Ihren Amtsnachbarn, Herrn P. Proft, damit beauftragen. Leider habe ich gehört, dass die Teinertsche Fraktion einen Prediger von der Texas Synode zur Einweihung ihrer Kirche hat kommen lassen. Am Ende berufte sie sich auch einen solchen. Lässt sich denn auf keinem rechtsmässigen Wege eine Aussöhnung zu Stande bringen? Ich habe bis jetzt keine Antwort bekommen auf unsere Anfrage über das, was in den Gemeinden vorliegt und weswegen meine Dazwischenkunft wünschenswert ist. Bei einer so weiten Reise möchte man doch wissen, was eigentlich die Veranlassung sei, auch um sich bei der eigenen Gemeinde wegen längerer Abwesenheit entschuldigen zu können. Die Gefahr des Gelben Fiebers ist zwar jetzt nicht mehr vorhanden, aber man findet einen Pastor, der keinen Gehilfen hat für den Konfirmanden-unterricht. Jedoch müsste Rat geschaffen werden, wenn grosse Not eine persönliche Gegenwart benötige. Gerne hätte ich auch einmal einer Texas Einweihung beigewohnt. Hoffentlich ist dieselbe eine segensreiche gewesen.

Grüssen Sie Herrn P. Proft und Ihren Herrn Sohn freundlich von mir. In brüderlicher Hochachtung und Liebe,

Ihr ergebener
J. F. Bünger

St. Louis, MO, 6. November, 1873

[Transliterated by Margot Hendricks]

Letter 125.1.1 6 Nov 1873.45.jpg - 294kB

Letter 125.1.2 6 Nov 1873.45.jpg - 301kB

Letter 125.1.3 6 Nov 1873.45.jpg - 309kB

Go To Top