The Wendish Research Exchange
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 130.310 Baier to Kilian [CHI, Serbin Collection] 19 Aug 1874, Wendish
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-14-2015 at 08:27 PM
130.310 Baier to Kilian [CHI, Serbin Collection] 19 Aug 1874, Wendish

Malschwitz, August 19, 1874
In God’s Name, Amen!
To Mr. Pastor Kilian in Texas

Dear brother and Uncle:

I received your letter of June 18th at the right time, even though it was in a very sad time. My son, Andrew, traveled sound into the forest to get a cord of wood, and they brought him back dead. It happened on Wednesday, June 3, 1874. You would not believe me, what a burden of sadness of the soul was in the heart of the father and mother. I do not know how his soul has entered into eternity. I find no comfort in God’s word that has been able to comfort me. Where is there, where the Lord comes to the young person, you come and say how it is found, where the Lord said, who is not against us, [but] is for us.

I can say – he was for the Lord and his Word, but I do not have certainty, whether I at once will send him either to the right or to the Left. I do not make much too look deep enough into the compassion of God as they are unfathonable. I believe that. And so I hope that because of this and this heavy suffering that Jesus will be merciful to him. Thus I trust and thus I believe. He left behind 3 children, 2 sons and a daughter. The daughter is 8, the first son is 5 and the second is almost 2 years. My son Peter will look after him. He will certainly be as a guardian. In the last year he also had a great worry. His first son, Jan, broke his leg, as a .... fell on his leg and broke the same. So for 7 weeks he had to ....

Great sorrow was prevelent for him. He loved him very much and sat by him day and night. In the world there is wrechedness, trouble, war, malevolence, [but] in heaven happiness, eternal peace and comfort are present. I and my wife, your aunt, we are well, but the end and death draws near. If I die today or tomorrow, what I believe, is Jesus.

That was the sadness. Yet also the following is sad: in our Pastoral office they want to call one from Brandenburg and to be precise.... he is called Mrosack. The Germans wanted him, but not we Sorbs. He preached by us, but he had no faith, he is a worldly man. That the world is right.

Dear brother, you wrote in your letter, that you reflected on it, how the Kingdom of God is portrayed on earth and how a person can experience/discover it. I mean, that only he who knows and has faith in the Kingdom of God, but the unbeliever does not know it, as he is dead. And the dead knows and sees and feels nothing, as he is even dead. That is the worse on this earth which distresses me very much. Therefore I desire to depart from here and to be with Christ. There is present righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. Therefore we die again and again after that, to be highly blessed and we always believe on it, who can bring us righteousness. We both believe it. I believe on Jesus Christ. This belief means victory who changes the world. As concerning the bodily, this was a good year. But the summer was very dry and the grain harvest was weak.

Once again I will mention Andrew. He was very dear to me, he honored his father and mother. And that also pains and troubles me very much, that I have him no more in my old age. He showed me and his mother much love and was always friendly. Therefore we now often remember that we no longer have him. But that is passing and not eternal. Now I end my complaining and ask your indulgence with my weak faith, which is truly read out of my letter. During sorrow much will be spoken, [but] would at another time not be said. If I had you closer to me – we could comfort each other. But there everything will be marvelous. But so one is alone, as other friends one does not have. But on this world nothing will change. But there all will be marvelous. So we patiently await what the future will bring. It will not last long until we come home. Now I end my letter with the request to think on me and to write. You know well what I feel – God’s comfort. I commend you and those of yours to the compassion of God. May the Lord be your strength and hold all together.

All good from Hanna and Peter and I and my wife and all children, we commend you all to the grace and compassion of God.

Your brother Peter Baier in Christ

[Mel Symmank]

Malschwitz, den 19. August 1874

In Gottes Namen, Amen!

An Herrn Pfarrer Kilian in Texas

Lieber Bruder und Onkel!

Deinen Brief vom 18. Juni habe ich zur rechten Zeit erhalten, jedoch in einer sehr traurigen Zeit. Mein Sohn Andreas fährt gesund in den Wald, um ein Klafter Holz zu holen, und zurück bringt man ihn tot. Das geschah am 3. Juni, Mittwoch, 1874. Du wirst mir nicht glauben, welch eine Trauer in der Seele von Vater und Mutter, in ihren Herzen lastet. Ich weiß nicht, wie seine Seele in die Ewigkeit eingegangen ist. Ich finde keinen Trost in Gottes Wort, das mich hätte trösten können. Wie dort, wo der Herr zu den Jüngern kommt, kamen und sagten sie, wie sie es (?) fanden, worauf der Herr sagte, wer nicht gegen uns ist, ist für uns.

Ich kann sagen - er war für den Herrn und sein Wort, aber Gewißheit habe ich nicht, ob ich ihn einmal zur Rechten oder zur Linken sehen werde. Ich vermag nicht, tief genug in die Barmherzigkeit Gottes zu blicken, denn sie ist unergründlich. Das glaube ich. Und so hoffe ich, daß er ihm Jesus´ wegen und dessen schwerer Leiden wegen gnädig sein wird. So tröste ich mich und so glaube ich. Er hinterließ 3 Kinder, 2 Söhne und eine Tochter. Die Tochter ist 8, der erste Sohn 5 und der zweite fast 2 Jahre. Um sie wird sich mein Sohn Peter kümmern. Er wurde zum Vormund bestimmt. Im letzten Jahr hatte auch er große Sorgen. Sein erster Sohn Jan brach sich ein Bein, als ein ... auf sein Bein fiel und selbiges brach. So mußte er 7 Wochen ... .

Da herrsche bei ihm große Trauer. Er liebte ihn sehr und saß Tag und Nacht bei ihm. Auf der Welt gibt es Schlechtes, Mühen, Krieg, Bosheit, im Himmel herrschen Fröhlichkeit, ewiger Frieden und Trost. Ich und meine Frau, deine Tante, wir sind gesund, aber das Ende und der Tod nahen. Mag ich heute oder morgen sterben, was ich glaube, ist Jesu.

Das war das Traurige. Doch auch das Folgende ist traurig: in unser Pastorenamt wollen sie einen aus Brandenburg berufen, und zwar einen ... . Er heißt Mrosack. Die Deutschen wollen den, wir Sorben aber nicht. Er predigte bei uns, aber er hat keinen Glauben, er ist ein weltlicher Mann. Das ist der Welt recht.

Lieber Bruder, du schreibst in deinem Brief, daß du darüber nachdenkst, wie es mit dem Reich Gottes auf Erden bestellt ist und woran man es erleben/erfahren kann. Ich meine, daß nur der Glaube das Reich Gottes kennt und hat, der Unglaube aber kennt es nicht, weil er tot ist. Und der Tote erkennt und sieht und fühlt nicht, weil er eben tot ist. Das ist das Schlimme auf dieser Welt, das bedrückt mich sehr. Deshalb möchte ich hier weg und bei Christus sein. Dort wird Gerechtigkeit, Frieden und Freude im heiligen Geist herrschen. Deshalb streben wir immer und immer wieder danach, glückselig zu sein und glauben wir immer an den, der uns Glückseligkeit bringen kann. Daran glauben wir beide. Ich glaube an Jesus Christus. Dieser Glaube bedeutet Sieg, der die Welt verändert. Was das Körperliche betrifft, so war dieses Jahr ein gutes. Der Sommer aber war sehr trocken und die Getreideernte war schwach.

Einmal noch erwähne ich Andreas. Er war mir sehr lieb, er ehrte Vater und Mutter. Und auch das tut sehr weh und betrübt mich, daß ich ihn auf meine alten Tage nicht mehr habe. Er erwies mir und der Mutter viel Liebe und war immer freundlich. Daran denken wir jetzt oft, da wir ihn nicht mehr haben. Das aber ist vergänglich und nicht ewig. Nun beende ich mein Klagen und erbitte mir deine Nachsicht mit meinem schwachen Glauben, der wohl aus meinem Brief herauslesbar ist. Während der Trauer wird viel gesagt, was zu anderen Zeiten nicht gesagt würde. Hätte ich dich nur näher bei mir - wir könnten einander trösten. So aber ist man allein, denn andere Freunde hat man nicht. Daran wird sich auf dieser Welt aber nichts ändern. Dort aber wird alles herrlich sein. So warten wir denn geduldig, was die Zukunft bringen wird. Lange wird es nicht dauern, bis wir nach Hause kommen. Nun beende ich meinen Brief mit der Bitte, an mich zu denken und zu schreiben. Du weißt ja, was mir fehlt - Gottes Trost. Ich empfehle dich und die deinen der Barmherzigkeit Gottes. Der Herr möge eure Kraft sein, und haltet alle zusammen.

Alles Gute von Hanna und Peter, und ich und meine Frau, und alle Kinder, wir empfehlen euch alle der Gnade und Barmherzigkeit Gottes.

Dein Bruder Peter Baier in Christus

[Martin Strauch]

Malešecy, tón 19. august 74

W Jezusowym mjenje, hamjen!

Na knjeza duchowneho Kiliana w Texasu.

Luby bratře a wujo.

Twój list wot 18. junija 1874 sym ja w prawym času dóstał - ale w jara zrudnym času, přetož mój Handrij tón jědźe strowy do hole po klafter drjewa, a přiwjezu jeho morweho domoj. To bě tón 3. dźeń junija, srjedu, 1874. Ty njemóžeš mi to wěrić, kajku zrudnosć w duši to tyši nanowu a maćernu wutrobu, dokelž nimam žanu wěstosć, kak je ta duša do wěčnosće šła. Ja njenamakam žadyn trošt w božim słowje, zo by mje troštowało, kaž tam, hdyž tón Knjez tym wučomnikam chodźi, přindźechu a prajachu, kak su namakali, da praješe tón Knjez, kiž njeje přećiwo nam, tón je za nas, ja móžu to prajić, wón bě za toho Knjeza a jeho słowo, ale žanu wěstosć ja nimam, hač jeho jónu na prawicy abo na lěwicy widźeć budu. Ja do božeje smilnosće dosć nutř pohladać njemóžu, přetož wona je njedogruntowana. To ja wěrju. Tuž nadźijam so, zo budźe jemu Jezusa dla a jeho hórkeho ćerpjenja dla hnadny. Toho so ja troštuju a wěrju. Wón je 3 dźěći zawostajił, 2 synaj a jednu dźowku. Ta dźowka je 8 lět, tón prěni syn 5 lět, tón druhi nimale 2 lěće. Za tych ma so mój syn Pětr starać. Tón je za ´Vormund´ postajeny. Ale loni, da měješe Handrij wulku zrudobu. Jeho prěni synk Jank tón zlemi sebi nohu a na to wašnje so po ... zleći na jeho nohu a zlemi tusamu. Tuž je 7 njedźel ...

To bě za Handrija wulka zrudoba. Wón měješe jeho jara luby a dyrbješe pola njeho w nocy a wodnjo być. Na swěće je hubjenosć, próca, wójna, luta złósć, w njebjesach je wjesołosć, wěčny měr a trošta dosć. Ja a moja žona, twoja ćeta, mój smój hišće strowaj, ale čas ke kóncej chwata, smjerć přichadźa, Ale njech wumru dźens abo jutře - što so mi radźi z Jezum. To bě to zrudne. Ale zaso zrudne - do našeho duchowneho hamta chcedźa nam jedneho z Branibórskej, a to jedneho z ... postajić, a tomu rěkaja Mrózak. Toho chcedźa ći Němcy měć, ale my Serbja pak nic. Wón prědowaše pola nas, ale wón nima bože poznaće, ale je swětny muž. Tuž je swětej prawy.

Luby bratře - ty pisaš w twojim lisće, zo za tym mysliš, kak te bože kralestwo na swěće je a w čim wono so wonpoznać da. Ja mam za to, zo jenož wěra to kralestwo bože znaje a ma, ale njewěra jo njeznaje a nima , dokelž je morwa, a morwy, tón njeznaje a njewidźi a nječuje, dokelž je morwy. To je to žawostne na swěće, to mje jara tyši. Tohodla žadam sebi preć ćahnyć a při Chrystusu być. Tam budźe prawdosć, měr a radosć w swjatym duchu. Tohodla hońmy swěru za tym, zo bychmy zbóžni byli a dźeržmy so swěru toho, kotryž zbóžny činić móže. Do toho, luby bratře, ty wěriš, a ja tež. Do toho Knjeza Jezusa wěrju, a ta wěra je to dobyće, kotrež swět přeměnja. Štož to ćělne nastupa - da běše lětsa dobre lěto, ale lěćo bě jara suche a nalětneho žita bě mało.

Hišće jedyn króč spomnju na Handrija. Wón bě mi jara luby, wón česćeše nana a mać. A to tež sobu boli a tyši, zo jeho nimam na moje stare dny. Wón mi a maćeri wulku lubosć wopokaza a bě stajnje přećelny. Na to moj husto nětko spomnimoj, hdyž jeho wjace nimamoj. Ale to je wšak časne a nic wěčne. Nětko skónču moju skóržbu a prošu tebje wo šćerpnosć z mojej słabej wěru, kotraž je snadź z mojeho lista poznać. W zrudobje wšak so wšelke wupraji, štož jedyn njecha w druhim času. Ach hdy by ja tola tebje bliže při sebi měł, da bychmy so jedyn toho druheho troštowałoj. Ale tak je jedyn sam a žaneho towarša jedyn nima. Ale to jow na swěće hinak njeje a njebudźe. Ale tam jónu wšo krasniše budźe. Tuž čakamoj ze sćerpliwosću na přichod, trać njebudźe wěsće dołho, da přindźemoj mój dom. Nětko kónču mój list z tej próstwu, zo ce... na mnje spomnić a mi pisać, wšak wěš, što mi faluje - boži trošt. Ja će poruču a tych twojich tej smilnosći božej. Tón Knjez njech je waša wulka móc a zdźerž was wšitkich při sebi.

Wjele dobreho wot Hany a Pětra, a ja a moja žona, a wšitke jich dźěći, my poručimy was wšitkich božej hnadźe a smilnosći

Twój bratr Peter Baier w Christusu

[Martin Strauch]

Letter 130.31.1 19 Aug 1874.25.jpg - 306kB

Letter 130.31.2 19 Aug 1874.25.jpg - 307kB

Letter 130.31.3 19 Aug 1874.25jpg.jpg - 275kB

Go To Top