Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 131.520 Craemer to Kilian [CHI, Serbin Collection] 28 Nov 1874
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-19-2015 at 04:15 PM
131.520 Craemer to Kilian [CHI, Serbin Collection] 28 Nov 1874

Concordia College, St.Louis, December 28, 1874

Dear Rev. Kilian,

Already before I received your dear letter, Pastor Greif had spoken up to us for Mr. Urban, and had given him a good recommendation. That which we, I and my Concordia colleagues, had answered him, we would so much more repeat to you, since you had submitted your own reference for the young man: namely, that after such recommendations, on our part, nothing stands in the way of his acceptance into our institution, and that he would be more so sincerely welcomed by us. But, since he was actually in Addison, and since he was dismissed from there, it would, for the sake of order and love, not appear that the two institutions are working against each other, it would be well to obtain the consent of this former teachers for the steps he would now undertake. Perhaps, it would be the simplest if you would write to Professor Lindemann regarding this, and I don’t mean by this, that you would receive an agreement from there, that a young man of Mr. Urban’s age might as easily be involved for a time in the business world, and during that time, diligently hear the voice of God, for his spiritual development, and that it so important that we get pastors who are strong in the Wendish language. Now may the Lord direct everything according to His will and pleasure. –

With the assurance of our willingness to always be of service to you, and with friendly greetings to Mr. Urban, I remain in brotherly love and respect,

Yours,
A. Craemer

[Translated by Ed Bernthal]

Concord. Coll., St.Louis, den 28 Decbr. 74

Theurer He. Pastor Kilian

Schon vor Eintreffen Ihres geehrten Schreiben hatte sich He. P. Greif bei uns für He. Urban verwendet u. ihn gut empfolen. Was wir, ich u. meine C. Collegen, nun ihm geantwortet haben, das selbe müsten wir nun so mehr Ihnen erwiedern, da Sie noch eigens Zeugnise für den jungen Mann beigelegt haben: das nämlich nach solchen Empfählungen von unsere Seite der Aufnahme des He. Urbans in unsere Anstallt nichts in Wege steht, er uns vielmahr herzlich willkomen sein soll. Doch da er zwar in Addison war, er von dort entlassen wurde, will sich um der Ordnung und Liebe willen das es nämlich nicht scheine , als arbeiteten die beiden Anstallten wider einander, gebühren, das die Zustimmung seiner früheren Lehrer zu seinen jetzigen Schritt einhole. Vielleicht ist es das Enfachte, das Sie darüber am Hern. Prof. Lindemann schreiben, u sollte ich nicht meinen, das dan von dort ein Einsprache werden erhoben werden, da ein junger Mann von He. Urbans Jahren sich leicht wan er einige Zeit in der Geschäftswelt thätig gewesen ist, u. daher fleisig Gottes Wort gehört hat, geistig besten entwickelt haben kann, u. das es so wichtig ist, das wir Pastoren bekomen, die der wendischen Sprache mächtig sind. Nun der Herr lenke alles nach seinen Willen u. Wohlgefallen. –

Mit der Versicherung steter Dienstbreit willigkeit u. mit freundlichen Grus an He. Urban verbleibe ich in brüderlicher Liebe u. Hochachtung

Ihr
A. Craemer

[Transliterated by Ed Bernthal]

Letter 131.52.1 28 Nov 1874.35.jpg - 196kB

Letter 131.52.2 28 Nov 1874.35.jpg - 136kB

Go To Top