The Wendish Research Exchange
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 136.400 Kilian to Hermann [TWHS, Blasig Collection] 20 Nov 1876
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-27-2015 at 10:29 AM
136.400 Kilian to Hermann [TWHS, Blasig Collection] 20 Nov 1876

Serbin 20 November 1876
To Hermann Theodor Kilian, Fort Wayne

I will answer your letter first which you dated September 2 and presumably meant October 2, because things are happening in our house that I could not notify you about earlier, but now must.

You school report is good, in that you are ranked first in total grades and in religion. I will preserve the certificate as I did the previous certificate under the letters that I have from you where it can be found and not lost. Keep it up dear Hermann. God will abide with you.

We are all in good health and I am happy that you, as you wrote, are also still healthy and feeling good. We all greet you, especially your mother I am pleased that the Greek, that you must now learn, is not difficult for you. Learning a new alphabet would certainly have been something new for you. But there are many things in Greek that agree with the Wendish. For example: ὁ, ἡ, το - ton, ta, to; δρὑπτώ - dryptać; σίτος - zito; ὂρος - hora, etc.

I will drop that topic and let you know that yesterday the wedding announcement was made for the second time for your sister Theresia, who God willing, will be married on November 28. Her bridegroom is a young German named Johann Albert Peter, and owns along with his brother-in-law, Johann Schulze a cotton gin and a blacksmith shop near Serbin. He is 21 years old, attended school as my pupil, and was confirmed on March 26, 1869. You probably remember him. I would have preferred to give your outstanding sister to someone educated. I had written about her in a letter to my previous president Bünger. But the unfortunate church schism brought me so much dishonor, that no decent educated person asked about my family. Therefore, I must be satisfied and happy that my daughter will be taken care of lovingly and will remain near me. Theresia is my loving child, who never distressed me. She is also an extraordinary seamstress, who has made female clothing and hats for people. I think that she will make an easy transition into her new situation.

Your sister Hulda who is also outstanding in embroidering and crocheting, has grown up slender and remains that way, as Theresia. Now that Theresia is leaving, her ability and skills will have an opportunity to blossom.

Bernhard is going with Theresia to make himself useful at the cotton gin and blacksmith shop. Theresia’s wedding is an important turning point in the development of my family.

And if I still live for several years, I also want to bring you through school so that you become a competent pastor. Remain strong and upright and do not be afraid of anything. I hope that God the Lord will not forsake us when we must go through storm and foul weather. God rules and does all things well.

In such trust I remain undaunted your loving father,

Johann Kilian, P.

[GRN; Biar]

Serbin am 20sten November 1876
An Hermann Theodor Kilian, Fort Wayne

Deinen Brief von 2ten September (Du wolltest vermuthlich den 2ten October schreiben) beantworte ich erst jetzt, wo in unserm Hause Dinge vorgehen, die ich Dir nicht eher anzeigen konnte, aber nun anzeigen muß.

Dein Zeugniß ist gut, da Du im Betragen und in der Religion die erste Nummer hast. Das Zeugniß bewahre ich auf wie auch Dein vorjähriges Zeugniß unter den Briefen, die ich von Dir habe, sich befindet und nicht verloren ist. Fahre so fort lieber Hermann. Gott wird mit Dir sein.

Wir sind noch alle gesund und ich freue mich, daß Du, wie Du schreibst, auch noch gesund und wohl bist. Wir grüßen Dich alle, besonders Deine Mutter. Es freut mich, daß das Griechische, das Du nun zu lernen hast, dir nicht sehr schwer vorkommt. Neue Buchstaben zu lernen wird Dir freilich etwas Neues gewesen sein. Aber sonst stimmt in Gieschischen Manches mit dem Wendischen z. B.: ὁ, ἡ, το - ton, ta, to; δρὑπτώ - dryptać; σίτος - zito; ὂρος - hora, u.s.w.

Doch ich lasse das und mach Dir bekannt daß Deine Schwester Theresia gestern zum zweiten Male aufgeboten ist und am 28sten November, so Gott will, ihre Hochzeit haben wird Ihr Bräutigam ist ein junger Deutscher heißt Johann Albert Peter und besitzt mit seinen Schwager Johann Schulze eine Cottongin und Schmiedemühle bei Serbin. Er ist 21 Jahre alt, ging bei mir in die Schule und würde am 26 März 1869 von mir confirmirt. Du wirst Dich seiner vermuthlich erinnern. Ich hätte Deine ausgezeichnete Schwester lieber einem Studierten gegeben. Ich habe sie auch meinem frühern Präses Bünger in meinem Brief beschrieben. Aber die hiesigen unglücklichen Kirchentrennung haben mich so in Mißcredit gebracht, daß kein anständige Studierter nach meiner Familie fragt. Darum muß ich zufrieden u froh sein, daß meine Tochter doch leiblich versorgt wird und in meiner Nähe bleibt. Die Theresia ist mein liebes Kind, das mich niemals gekränkt hat. Sie ist auch eine ausgezeichnete Näherin, welche weibliche Kleidungsstücke u Hüte für die Leute macht. Ich denke, daß sie in das neue Verhältniß, in das sie eintritt, sich leicht finden wird.

Deine Schwester Hulda ist auch ausgezeichnet, als Strickerin und Häcklerin, ist schlank gewachsen und eben so beliebt, wie Theresia. Jetzt, da die Theresia fortkommt, wird sie ihre Kraft und Geschicklichkeit erst ordentlich entfalten können.

Bernhard wird mit der Theresia gehen und an der Cottongin und Schmiedemühle mit behülflich sein. Die Heirath der Theresia ist noch eine wichtige Wendung im Fortkommen meiner Familie.

Und wenn ich noch etliche Jahre lebe, denke ich auch Dich durch die Schulen zu bringen, damit Du ein tüchtiger Pastor werdest. Sei nur rüstig und brav und laß Dir vor nichts grauen. Ich hoffe daß Gott der Herr uns nicht verlassen wird, wenn wir auch durch viel Sturm und Wetter gehen müssen. Gott sitzt im Regimente und führt alles wohl.

In solchem Vertrauen bleibe ich unverzagt

Dein Dich liebender Vater
Johann Kilian, P.

[GRN; Biar]

136.4.1 Kilian to Hermann Kilian.60.jpg - 167kB

136.4.2 Kilian to Hermann Kilian.60.jpg - 168kB

Go To Top