Author: Subject: 137.400 Kilian to Hanser [CHI, Serbin Collection] 14 Aug 1877
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 04:57 PM
137.400 Kilian to Hanser [CHI, Serbin Collection] 14 Aug 1877

Serbin, Lee Co. 14 August 1877
The Rev. Prof. O. Hanser, Fort Wayne

Most reverend dear Director!

You hereby receive the notice that the Texas Conference, whose member I am, has introduced an inquisitorial proceeding against me on April 11 of this year. Our issue of conflict already reached the second level, namely our District President Biltz and will presumably come to Synod.

So I now have need of advocates, I would like you and the professors at Fort Wayne to do it because I have untarnished faith in them and in you.

Our difference hinges on the two statements “Judgment Day can take place at the blinking of an eye” and “the Pope is the Anti-Christ.”

Because it is customary for the accused to provide his lawyers with everything pertinent in a clear and complete manner, I will see to it that you receive two documents which you must know above all else.

The first document will be a mission sermon which I gave publically at Big Cypress near Houston, Texas on September 17, 1876 at the opening of our spring conference. I sent a copy to my district president in July of this year and I will copy it once more and send it to you as soon as I learn that you, dear Director, and one or more of the professors in Fort Wayne, will take my case before Synod. Write soon if I can count on your support.

After that I will send you and also the district president a copy of the second document containing my answers in the form of 20 theses. I will not personally attend Synod under such circumstances and because of my physical weakness. I hope that my friends will represent me.

Now a bit concerning my son Hermann, who arrived at home in good health on July 21. His money was inadequate. That is why he traveled through Little Rock, Arkansas and obtained the necessary $17 from Pastor Greif. Hermann has now cost me $641 including the trip his brother Gerhard made to bring him to Fort Wayne. At the minimum, he will cost $600 more at Fort Wayne. Hermann also does not have the enthusiasm for study as he had when he first went to Fort Wayne. What shall I do? Counsel me. I do not know what is best.

With that I remain in complete trust in the Lord.

Your humble servant, Johann Kilian, P.

[GRN; Biar]

Serbin, Lee Co. Texas am 14 August 1877
Rev. Prof. O. Hanser, Fort Wayne

Hochwürdiger, Geliebter Herr Director!

Sie erhalten andurch zuerst die Anzeige, daß von der Texas-Conferenz, deren Glied ich bin, am 11ten April d[ieses] J[ahr] ein Inquisitionsverfahren gegen mich eingeleitet ist. Unsere Streitsache gelangte schon vor die zweite Instanz nämlich vor unsern Herrn Districtspräses Biltz, und wird vermuthlich vor die Synod kommen.

Da ich nun Sachwalter nötig habe so werde ich mich an Sie und an die Herren Professoren in Fort Wayne, weil ich zu diesen und zu Ihnen nach ungetrübtes Vertrauen habe.

Unser Zwiespalt dreht sich um die 2 Sätze "der jüngste Tag kann jeden Augenblick kommen" und, "der Papst ist der Antichrist."

Weil nun aber ein Angeklagter seinen Sachwaltern die ganze Sache, um welche sich's handelt, deutlich u[nd] vollständig vorlegen muß, so will ich Ihnen zwei Aktenstücke zukommen lassen welche Sie vor allen dingen wissen müssen.

Das erste Aktenstück wird sein eine Missionspredigt, welche ich in Big Cypress bei Houston, Texas, am 17 September 1876 vor der Eröffnung unserer Herbstconferenz öffentlich hielt. Dieselbe habe ich im Juli d. J. meinem Districtspräses in Abschrift zugesandt und will sein nochmals abschreiben und auch Ihnen einsenden, so bald ich wissen werde, daß Sie, lieber Herr Director, und einer oder mehrere der Herren Professoren in Fort Wayne sich vor der Synode meiner annehmen wollen. Schreiben Sie mir bald, ob ich auf Ihren Beistand rechnen kann.

Das zweite Aktenstück meine Verantwortung in 20 Thesem werde ich Ihnen sodann in Abschrift zusenden und meinem Herrn Districtspräses auch. Zur Synode komme aber ich für meine Person unter solchen Umständen und bei meiner leiblichen Schwachheit nicht. Ich hoffe daß meine Freunde meine Person vertreten werden.

Nun noch etwas in Bezug auf meinen Sohn Hermann, der am 21sten Juli gesund zu Hause angekommen ist. Sein Geld hat aber nicht gelangt. Darum ist er über Little Rock, Ark., gefahren und hat von Past. Greif die fehlenden 17 Dollars dargeliehen bekommen. Hermann kostet mich jetzt, die Reise seines Bruders Gerhard, der ihn nach Fort Wayne brachte mit eingerechnet, 641 Dollars. Er würde mich also in Fort Wayne mindestens noch 600 Dollars kosten. Auch had Hermann solche Lust zum Studieren, nicht mehr wie er sie hatte als er nach Fort Wayne ging. Was soll ich nun thun? Rathen Sie mir. Ich weiß keinen Rath.

Damit verbleibe ich vertrauensvoll in Herrn

Ihr. Hochwürden ergebener Johann Kilian, P.

[GRN; Biar]

Letter 137.4.1 14 Aug 1877.25.jpg - 192kB

Letter 137.4.2 14 Aug 1877.25.jpg - 215kB

Go To Top