Author: Subject: 137.406 Hanser to Kilian [TWHS, Blasig Collection]17 Sep 1877
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 05:37 PM
137.406 Hanser to Kilian [TWHS, Blasig Collection]17 Sep 1877

Concordia College, Fort Wayne, Indiana

17 September 1877

Faithful Brother in the Lord!

I received your letter and respond immediately. I am attaching the certificate for your dear son, Hermann, but would like to try one more time to move you and your son from the plan you made for his future. It would be very regrettable, that if your son wishes to serve the Lord as a pastor, he will turn away from the opportunity of a thorough and scientific education, which is available to him, and be satisfied with a lesser level of theological education. The advantage of the university education and his choice of the lesser quality education he would not realize until he is in the office of a pastor. He would have reason to regret his decision for a life time. I do not argue that we have very talented pastors among our “practical” pastors, but their education is a “practical” one. It makes me wonder what would have become of them, had they chosen the path of a thorough, scientific and theological training!

Hermann possesses great language talent. He can pass through high school as a good student and continue his education in theology at St. Louis. Why should he prefer the education, which has been offered due to the shortage of pastors and will be cancelled as soon as conditions will improve? Even if your monetary means are not sufficient, we will be able to support him as soon as he is ready to start his studies.

I hope, trusted brother in the Lord, that my thoughts do not come across as obtrusiveness, but will be accepted by you as coming from caring and concern for your son and also the church.

With brotherly greetings,
your brother in the Lord, O. Hanser

[Translated by Margot Hendricks]

Concordia College, Fort Wayne, Indiana

17. Sept. 1877

Treuer Bruder im Herrn!

In umgehender Beantwortung Ihres Schreibens vom 12ten lege ich Ihnen zwar das gewünschte Zeugnis für Ihren lieben Hermann bei, aber möchte doch noch einmal den Versuch machen, Sie und Ihren Sohn zu bewegen, von dem vorgefassten Plan abzubringen. Es wäre wirklich recht schade, wenn Hermann den Herrn im Predigt Amt dienen will, wenn er die Gelegenheit zu einer gründlichen und wissenschaftlichen Ausbildung, die ihm geboten ist, ausschlagen tut und sich mit nur mangelhafter und unvollkommener theologischer Ausbildung begnügen wollte. Die grossen Vorzüge der ersten, der bedeutende Nachteil der letzteren würde er zu seinem grossen Schmerz erst im Amt recht erfahren und und die Reue über seinen törichten Schritt würde ihn nie verlassen. Ich will ja nicht in Abrede stellen, dass wir unter unseren praktischen Pastoren ganz ausgezeichnete Männer haben, aber es ist eine praktische Ausbildung, und das drängt nun viel mehr den Schluss auf: Was wäre erst aus ihnen geworden, wenn sie nur gründliche, wissenschaftliche, theologische Ausbildung genossen hätten!

Hermann hat schöne Gaben für die Sprachen. Er kann als ein guter Schüler durch das Gymnasium gehen und den wissenschaftlichen, theologischen Kurs in St. Louis mit vollem Herzen absolvieren. Warum sollte er nun die Ausbildung vorziehen, die nur wegen der Prediger Not und unserer eigentümlichen Landesverhältnisse als Notbehilf eingerichtet ist und die aufgehoben werden soll, sobald es nur die Umstände erlauben? Selbst wenn Ihre eigenen Mittel nicht reichen, so finden sich Mittel genug, wenn er erst soweit ist, dass er vollends ausstudieren kann. Ich hoffe, treuer Bruder im Herrn, dass Ihnen meine Vorstellung nicht als eine Zudringlichkeit erscheint, sondern von Ihnen aufgenommen werde aus herzlicher Liebe und Sorge für Ihren mir teuren Sohn und die Kirche auch.

Mit brüderlichem Gruss,
Ihr im Herrn verbundener Mitarbeiter, O. Hanser

[Transcribed by Margot Hendricks]

137.406.1 Hanser to Kilian.80.jpg - 130kB

137.406.2 Hanser to Kilian..80.jpg - 156kB

Go To Top