The Wendish Research Exchange
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 140.600 Kilian to Fritschel [Wartburg Seminary - Dubuque] 5 Jan 1880
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 09:52 PM
140.600 Kilian to Fritschel [Wartburg Seminary - Dubuque] 5 Jan 1880

Serbin, Lee Co., Texas 5 January 1880
Rev. Prof. G. Fritschel, Mendota, Illinois

Dear Mr. Professor!

Thank you for your letter of 17 December 1879. It is worth its weight in gold.

But our correspondence must be secret until next August so that my son Hermann who is a Primaner in Fort Wayne does not hear of it before that time and is disturbed in his studies. The relation between my Primaner Hermann and your seminary in Mendota is materia disputandi. If my son would not be able to go to St. Louis or did not want to, what would then happen? That is an open question.

That’s why I would like to know how much your seminary costs, how many teachers you have, and how many students and if there are sufficient living quarters. Also other matters that might be of interest to me that you can think of, when you have the time. A bad general, who forgets, which retreat route to take in the event of misfortune. But I cannot obligate myself to anything. I am only reconnoitering the terrain for possible snares. I have known for a long time that you in the Iowa Synod, as well as the Missouri [Synod] include good Christians. I even have an open heart, that some are trying to restrict. But it won’t work. Every Jesuit is right who says: Sint, ut sunt, aut non sint. I have much more to say, but it is not time.

Therefore I remain in the Lord, your respectful servant, Johann Kilian, P.

[GRN]

Serbin, Lee Co., Texas am 5ten Januar 1880
Rev. Prof. G. Fritschel, Mendota, Ills.

Geliebter Herr Professor!

Für Ihren Brief vom 17ten Decbr 1879 danke ich sehr. Denn er ist Goldes werth. Aber unser Briefwechsel muß bis zum August d. J. ein geheimer sein, damit mein Sohn Hermann der in Fort Wayne Primaner ist, nichts vor der Zeit erfahre und in seinen Studien gestört werde.

Das Verhältnis meines Primaners Hermann und Ihr Seminar in Mendota ist Materia disputandi, wenn mein Sohn nach St. Louis nicht gehen könnte oder wollte, was sollte dann werden? Das ist die offene Frage.

Darum möchte ich wissen, wie viel es in Ihrem Seminar kostet, wie viel Lehrer Sie haben und wie viel Studenten, und ob Sie hinreichende Wohnungen haben. Das Weitere können Sie sich denken, wenn Ihnen angezeigt ist, was ich will. Ein schlechter General, welcher vergißt, wohin er im Unglück den Rückzug nehmen will. Ich verpflichte mich aber zu nichts. Ich recognociere nur das Terrain für mögliche Fälle. Daß Sie in der Iowa-Synode so gut Christen sind, als die Missourier, weiß ich längst. Ich habe eben ein weites Herz und man mochte es enge machen. Aber das geht nicht. Jener Jesuit hatte Recht, da er sagte: Sint, ut sunt, aut non sit. Ich habe Ihnen noch viel zu sagen. Aber es ist noch nicht Zeit.

Damit verbleibe ich im Herrn
Euer Hochwürden ergebener
Johann Kilian, P.

[GDN]

Go To Top