Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 144.000 Karl Hanuschk to Brother-in-law [Mahling] 7 Mar 1881
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-2-2015 at 09:01 AM
144.000 Karl Hanuschk to Brother-in-law [Mahling] 7 Mar 1881

Long Prairie 3/ 7 1881

Dear Brother-in-Law!

I am taking pen in hand to let you know that the deposit of 2,121 Mark and 75 Pf was received on March 5. In American coinage that amounts to 475 dollars. And herewith I would express my thanks to you for sending it to me and thereby fulfilling my desire. It has pleased me immensely and I shall thank you much more when I come to Germany again.

Dear brother-in-law, I have bought a span of horses plus the tools needed to work the 25 acres that I rented from your brother. Already I have planted corn, cotton, and potatoes. I am in good health, praise to the Lord. Now something better. Perhaps you would like to know how we plant our cotton. With a plow one makes 4 furrows. Then one takes a smaller plow and with it one makes a furrow in the middle. Into this the seed is planted. Using a harrow the seed is covered and the job is done.

Dear brother-in-law, at this time I have no more to write. I will close now. Many heartfelt greetings to my sister and your daughter.

I remain your brother-in-law
Karl Hanuschk

[W. Nielsen]

Long Prairie d. 3/1/ 1881

Lieber Schwager!

Ich ergreife die Feder um dir es zu wissen tun daß ich den Wechsel den 5 März richtig erhalten habe, 2,121 Mark und 75 Pf. und in amerikanischen Geld 475 Thaler, und ich thue mich auch bestens bedanken daß du mir das beschert hast und meinen Wunsch erfüllt hast. Hat mich sehr erfreut und ich werde mich schon wieder abfinden wenn ich wieder nach Deutschland komme.

Lieber Schwager, ich habe mir ein Paar Pferde gekauft und auch das ganze Acker Geräte, und habe mir 25 Acker gepachtet von deinen Bruder, und ich habe schon Korn und Baumwolle gepflanzt und Kartoffel. Und gesund bin ich Gott sei Dank. Noch was besser ist du wollst auch wissen wie Baumwolle gepflanzt wird. Da pflügt man 4 Furchen mit den Pflug und nach diesem nimmt man einen kleinen Pflug und macht in der Mitte eine Furche und streut den Samen herein. Und nach diesem tut man es abeggen und es ist fertig. Lieber Schwager, weiter kann ich dir nichts schreiben. Ich will nun schliessen. Viele herzliche Grüße an meine Schwester und deine Tochter.

Ich verbleibe dein Schwager
Karl Hannuschk

[W. Nielsen]

Go To Top