The Wendish Research Exchange
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 147.500 Kilian to Fritschel [Wartburg Seminary - Dubuque] 26 Sep 1882
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-2-2015 at 09:30 AM
147.500 Kilian to Fritschel [Wartburg Seminary - Dubuque] 26 Sep 1882

Serbin, Lee Co., Texas am 26sten Sept. 1882
Rev. Prof. Dr. G. Fritschel, Mendota

Dear Doctor!

Both of your letters, the first dated 17 December 1879 and the other on 25th April 1880 were indeed kept by me. Both letters pleased me very much. But I do not know how it happened that our correspondence ended. The publications you sent me and that I treasure, I have not paid for, and therefore you receive 5 dollars for the publications which is enclosed. What is left , use for your needs. But a formal receipt is not necessary. Only write that you received the money.

My son Hermann went to St. Louis, because he could not separate himself from his friends from Ft. Wayne. You know of course all about student friendships. Students remain closer together than we old people do. Because among the young does not rule the kind of pride the imagined infallibility that reigns among us.

You would like to know my current theological inclination. My sense of direction is this: I love my Lord Jesus Christ and his prophetic and apostolic roles and ask few questions about the differences between synods. Neither do I understand why people who love the Lord Jesus and His word separate themselves from each other. Are they not all one in Christ? Missourians, Iowans, Ohioans, and members of the General Council are saved, as many as have the true hearts of Christian. How can the external, earthly, fleeting divisions be the cause of divisions and strife? “For while there is jealousy and strife among you, are you not of the flesh, and behaving like ordinary men?” 1 Cor. 3,3.

It is pretty much the same to me to which synod I belong, but I would rather not belong to the General Synod that I consider indifferent and careless in matters of the Confessions.

But you are always dear to me and I remain in the Lord.

Sincerely,
Johann Kilian Pastor

[GRN; Biar]

Serbin, Lee Co., Texas am 26sten Sept. 1882
Rev. Prof. Dr. G. Fritschel, Mendota.

Lieber Herr Doktor!

Ihre beiden Briefe, den ersten vom 17 Decbr 1879, den andern vom 25st April 1880 habe ich mir wohl aufgehoben. Beide Briefe sind mir sehr angenehm. Aber ich weiß nicht, wie es gekommen ist, daß unser Briefwechsel aufgehört hat. Die Druckschriften, die Sie mir sandten und die mir lieb sind, habe ich nicht bezahlt und Sie empfangen deshalb für die Schriften 5 Dollars, welche beiliegen. Was übrig ist, gebrauchen Sie für Ihre Bedürfnisse. Aber eine öffentliche Quittung will ich aus Gründen nicht haben. Schreiben Sie nur, daß Sie das Geld empfingen.

Mein Sohn Hermann ging nach St. Louis, weil er von seinen Freunden die er in Ft. Wayne hatte, sich nicht trennen wollte. Sie wissen ja, wie die Studenten-Freundschaft ist. Die Studenten halten besser zusammen als wir Alten thun. Denn bei der Jugend herrscht noch kein solcher Stolz der eingebildeten Unfehlbarkeit, wie er bei uns herrscht.
Sie werden meine jetzige theologische Richtung wissen wollen. Diese meine Richtung ist diese: Ich habe meinen Herrn Jesum Christum und sein prophetisches und apostolisches lieb und frage nach dem Unterschied der Synoden sehr wenig, begreife auch nicht, warum Leute, die den Herrn Jesum und sein Wort lieb haben, sich trennen. Sie sind ja doch alle Eins in Christo. Missourier, Iowaer, Ohioer und Glieder des Generalkonzils werden selig, so viele von ihnen das Herz wahrer Christen haben. Wie können die äußerlichen, irdischen, vergänglichen Unterschiede eine Ursache des Zwiespalts und der Zwietracht sein? "Sintemal Eifer und Zank und Zwietracht unter euch sind, seid ihr denn nicht fleischlich und wandelt nach menschlicher Weise? 1 Korinth. 3.3.

Es ist mir ziemlich gleich, bei welcher Synode ich bin. Aber zur Generalsynode möchte ich doch nicht gehören, die ist mir in Confessionssachen zu gleichgiltig und leichtfertig.

Aber Sie sind mir immer lieb und ich bleibe im Herrn

Ihr ergebener
Johann Kilian, P.

[GDN]

Go To Top