Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Rose (Rosa) Schatte
webmaster
Super Administrator

Mood: The webmaster is Happy!

[*] posted on 5-22-2012 at 06:43 PM
Rose (Rosa) Schatte

Does anyone have a scan of Rosa Schatte's death record from St. Paul's Church in Serbin? She passed on March 10th in 1915. I'd love to have a copy of it!

The 2012 Schatte Reunion is approaching, and Wandering Wend will be speaking on the topic of Rosa Schatte and the circumstances of her demise. The death record would be incorporated into his presentation.

*Update* Thank you, Weldon, for supplying this! Mystery solved.
Kathe
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 5-26-2012 at 12:19 PM
So what did Weldon supply?

I've been looking all over for this lady and all I could find was a reference to her in the Houston City Directory for 1913 saying Miss Rose Schatte was a cashier at Richmond Dairy Lunch and that she roomed at 911 Washington. What did you find out from Weldon?
webmaster
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-27-2012 at 09:45 AM

He supplied an image of a page which was a typewritten version of her death from the St. Paul's death records.

Thank you VERY much for the info about the Richmond Dairy Lunch and her address at 911 Washington!!!
WanderingWend
Junior Posting Wend

Mood: Great!

[*] posted on 8-20-2013 at 04:08 PM
Richmond Dairy Lunch

Kathe,

Although the 2012 reunion is now long passed, it's great to finally read your message! I had not found reference for that during my research.

Additionally I was unable to find what happened after her killer was tried. I'll have to access my files to get his full name but last was White. Hoping you might be able to work your magic!

"Avito Viret Honore - Per Aspera ad Astra"
webmaster
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-10-2017 at 12:18 PM

From what I've come across, the killer, or "accused killer," was set free due to lack of evidence.

And to provide evidence of this lack of evidence (see what I did here?), please peruse this pdf - in particular the third document from the top:

https://wendishresearch.org/history/scrapbooks/Lee_County/_Co...
webmaster
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-2-2017 at 06:17 PM
More Info

Now I've found that:

1. C.H. White's first name was Henry, or he "went" by Henry. He was a Chauffeur for Jesse H. Jones.

2. The murder occurred in front of the Pecorino Grocery Store at 1507 Keene St.

3. At the time of her death, Rose was a waitress at the Texas Cafe on Fannin St. There is no Texas Cafe on Fannin St. today, but Fannin does intersect with Texas St. Could have been on one of those corners. There's a church there now, and a few ginormous buildings.

I wonder what her life would have been like had she lived. I wonder if she and C.H. White would have married. They were dating, you know. I wonder who her children would have been. And her children's children.

4. Rose shared an apartment with Mrs. E. R. Parker at 1717 Freeman St. This building still stands today!

5. The pictures she was so happy to have, and was showing them to C.H. White under the streetlight at 1507 Keene that evening, were received from her nieces just the day before.

Will post the documents as I compile them for display.

Go To Top