Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Church Records from the First St. Peter's in Serbin, TX
Kathe
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 2-14-2011 at 03:03 PM
Church Records from the First St. Peter's in Serbin, TX

Does anyone have any idea where these church records are? The records from the second St. Peter's are at the archives at Concordia in St. Louis. At one time I saw speculation that they were at the Texas Synod archives at Texas Lutheran in Seguin, but when I inquired there, they said they didn't have them. They are evidently not at Holy Cross at Warda. Could they be with the records at St. Paul's? Or maybe with the family papers of the minister at the time? Or in uncatalogued papers at Concordia?

Kathe
WanderingWend
Junior Posting Wend

Mood: Great!

[*] posted on 2-14-2011 at 05:47 PM

Sadly I do not have my Wendish library with me here in Germany to reference at this time so I am forced to go on my fallible memory.

If I remember correctly the first St. Peter's congregation was painstakingly remerged with St. Paul's over a period of time. Would it be possible that such records simply did not exist or were destroyed during/after the merge?

Another avenue of approach would be to consult the synod St. Peter's congregation was part of and that I cannot remember but know it's documented in one of Dr. Nielsen's books, likely Johann Kilian: Pastor

I saw requests for any information on St. Peter's in the TWHS quarterly newsletter about a year or so ago as well, maybe someone responded?

This area of Serbin is so fragile, it would be great to find more information and should be a focus when it is possible to do so I'm sure most people could agree on.

-Ron
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-14-2011 at 09:10 PM

The first St Peters started on 25 May 1858 and lasted till Pentecost 1867. The second St Peters started on 25 September 1870 and end on 18 October 1914.

What we could use is a timeline showing all of the events, clergy, teachers and lay leaders of the churches during this total period.

We have the marriages, and deaths from the second period. Only one page of confirmations exists and no baptisms exists for the second period.

No church records of the first period have been found yet.
WanderingWend
Junior Posting Wend

Mood: Great!

[*] posted on 2-14-2011 at 09:26 PM
Giddings Cultural Center

Last time I was in the Giddings (library) Cultural Center I noticed a filing cabinet in the microfilm room with binders of Lee County marriages sitting on top of it. I did not mark the range of years covered but that would be an easy place to start for marriages.

I do not know if it would hold pre-Lee County records for the same area, might have to go to Bastrop County and consult their library/county clerk for their information based on that year range then weed out the non-Wends.

"Avito Viret Honore - Per Aspera ad Astra"
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-14-2011 at 09:26 PM

My previously posted information was not correct. We also have the baptism records of the second St Peters.
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-14-2011 at 09:28 PM

the Delaplaine League was right on the Bastrop, Fayette county line before 1874 when Lee county was formed. LaGrange should also be a place to look.

Go To Top