09. Reconstruction Era Mysteries

Reconstruction Era Mysteries

Andrew Kieschnick

Serbin, Bastrop County, April 20, 1868

To his Excellency E. M. Pease
Governor of Texas
Austin, Tex.

Sir,
Some weeks ago, while in the discharge of my official duties as justice of the peace, I was attacked by a band of outlaws, who had broken into our peaceable settlement, and severely wounded with a bowie knife by a certain Gorman, who with a number of men lives in the woods of this neighborhood committing depredations upon the quiet and peaceable German settlers of this vicinity. I appealed through Capt. Porter to Gen. Reynolds for protection and military assistance to arrest the offenders, but my petition was not noticed at headquarters. It may be proper to state here that it would be impracticable to summon a posse of citizens as the gang of desperados is too numerous to be caught at once and the remaining outlaws with their connections would certainly fall en masse upon every farmer who would obey such summons, when they find him alone in his field. It was therefore, that I most respectfully asked Gen. Reynolds through Capt B. Porter, Sub Asst Commissioner of Bastrop County to send us a file of soldiers for the arrest of murderers and assassins. We have patiently been waiting for these troops, but in vain. Capt Porter informs us that he has not received a reply to the statement and petition sent by him to Headquarters and we have abandoned the hope that something will be done for our relief.
Allow me therefore, Governor, most respectfully to tender herewith my resignation as justice of the peace of this county, as I deem it incompatible with right and honor to serve a government that with all the power at her command is unwilling to protect even her most humble public servant in the discharge of his duties. Were I a General of this mighty republic and the Government would fail to protect me in my official duties I should readily break her sword under my feet and throw it with contempt before my superiors. Were I a judge and the government would refuse to lend me her strong arm to administer the law, I should trample upon my commission before I would be willing to dishonor the chair of justice.
I am only an humble magistrate. There is no salary connected with my office. It is merely the honor which every republican citizen should feel when serving his country even in the capacity of a justice or constable, but such service becomes a dishonor if that government presents a deaf ear to the appeals of her loyal officers.
Not doubting that the General commanding this District may soon find a citizen as my successor who may be willing to serve as magistrate under existing circumstances I have the honor
to remain
Governor
your very obd’t s’vt
Andreas Kieschnick

Jordan Krueger

Jordan Krueger was not a Wend but he was a Lutheran member of St Paul Lutheran church in Serbin.
From the St Paul death records: Jordan Krueger, farmer on the Bullfrog [Creek], died at 7 pm on Sunday, 10 July 1870. He was murdered by his renter. Jordan is survived by one son, August, in California; one son, Henry, here; one daughter, Minna, in Hannover; and one daughter, Emma, in Pennsylvania.
This is Jordan’s obituary as written by his pastor Johann Kilian:
Through God’s forbearance it has occurred that Jordan Krueger, farmer on the Bullfrog, unexpectedly lost his life today, a week ago, (Sunday) evening at 7:00. His body received a Christian burial on last Monday with a brief funeral devotion at the church and blessings at the grave.
The deceased was born in Hannover on 7 December 1803 and received in holy baptism the Christian name Jordan. In the years of his youth he did well in school and after his confirmation planned to be a school teacher. He served the church as a school teacher until he immigrated to America. When he was 28 years old he married Sophie Dismer from Hannover. He lived with her for 38 years and had five children, from which one son is already in eternity and two sons and two daughters are still living. After 16 November last year, since the death of his wife, he has been a widower for 7 months and 24 days.
As to his end, he was at full health when on 10 July at 7 p.m. he forcibly came to life’s end. He was 66 years, seven months and three days old.
The deceased leaves behind a son August in California, a son Henry in Serbin, a married daughter Minna in Hanover, a married daughter in Pennsylvania, and other friends and family near and far.

Jordan Krueger was enumerated in the 1870 US Census on 4 July 1870. He was a 66 year old widowed farmer. His tenant was Henry Dolgenor, 30, living with his wife Mary, 30, and their two children Henry, 6, and Mary, 4.
August Dolgenor, not sure if he also went by Henry, was indicted and tried in Bastrop county, Texas, on 16 Dec 1870 for the murder of Jordan Krueger. This is a transcript of case 806 on page 227 of Book E: Now on the 16th day of December 1870, this cause coming on to be tried, appeared the State of Texas by the Dist. Attorney, I. G. Trigg and the defendant in person and by attorney and both parties announced themselves ready for trial. Whereupon came a jury of twelve good and lawful men of Bastrop County to wit: R. G. Green and eleven others who were duly elected, empaneled and sworn and fix plea to the charge in the indictment the defendant says, “not guilty.” and after hearing the evidence addressed, arguments of counsel and the charge of the court the jury retired to consider of, and returned into court the following verdict to it: “We the jury find the defendant not guilty as charged in the indictments. R. D. Green, Foreman.” It is therefore ordered adjudged and decreed by the court that the State of Teas take nothing by the prosecution and that the defendant be discharged and go hence without delay.

Henry Krueger

On July 9, 1871, a year less a day from which his father was killed, Henry Krueger, farmer near the railroad station in Giddings, died from fatal injuries received from an unknown person.

Carl Wilhelm Herman Muenzenberger

Muenzenberger, who died 15 May 1872, was a former merchant in San Antonio, then teacher at the public school that was founded at Serbin on 1 Mar 1872. He was 39 years and one month old and was survived by a widow living in New Braunfels and one son. No cause of death was given.

Dr Johann Mollet

Mollet died on 28 Jun 1875 and was buried in the St Paul cemetery. According to Pastor Kilian he was shot to death, “a vicious murder in Serbin Town.”

For more information about the Mollett case see Serbin in the News in the Wendish Research Exchange blog.

Consider researching any of these events to obtain more information that could become topics for the Society newsletter.

Go To Top