The Wendish Research Exchange
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 034.500 Kilian to Walther [CHI, Serbin Collection] [See also Der Lutheraner, 13 March 1858]
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-10-2015 at 10:45 AM
034.500 Kilian to Walther [CHI, Serbin Collection] [See also Der Lutheraner, 13 March 1858]

Dear most reverend Professor and Pastor!

Trusting in your unending effort to represent the church of pure confessions to all parts of the United States, I, as a pastor who recently immigrated into Texas, would like to present you with the following:

It was in the year 1853 when thirty plus Wends, Prussian Lutherans, who left the Prussian national church union and returned to the Evangelical Lutheran Church, emigrated to Texas through Bremen, suffered shipwreck on the Island of Cuba, but escaped with their lives. They wrote favorable letters to their friends during the winter of 1854 so that an association of more than 500 souls followed them. This Evangelical Lutheran congregation, composed of so-called Old Lutheran Prussian families, joined by 200 souls of the Saxon national church, called me as pastor and teacher to accompany them over here. The association was transported by the ship line Valentin Lorenz Meyer through Hamburg and Liverpool. I arrived with this congregation at Galveston on 16 December of last year and after the poorer families found work in Houston and vicinity, traveled 200 English miles inland. Here on Rabbs Creek in Bastrop County the more affluent part of the association, who also paid for the overseas transport of the poorer ones, are in the process of purchasing a league of land and then also permit the poorer ones to come to the new homeland. There is an abundance of uninhabited land around here, but because of the difficulty of finding the rightful owners of the land in Texas, it has not been possible for the people to buy any and so far so that for weeks they have to live in huts.

In general my congregation went through many struggles even though the voyage itself transpired without a storm. We lost 70 persons during the trip, mostly from cholera which struck while the association crossed England. Several persons already died in Liverpool. Nevertheless, we departed from Liverpool on 26 September on the large two-decker Ben Nevis (Captain Herron), besides the ship’s personnel, about 580 souls, since besides our private party, other passengers from Germany also went along. During the very calm voyage through the Irish Channel many deaths occurred, one after another, due to cholera, so that in the harbor of Cork in Ireland we spent a quarantine of three weeks. Our overseas voyage to Galveston took seven and one-half weeks. Also during this time several more died. After this preliminary note please listen also to my request, that led me to write this letter. I, a Saxon by birth, was the Lutheran pastor in Kotitz in the Kingdom of Saxony, for eleven years since the 24th of September 1837. Dr. [Wilhelm] Sihler, prior to his journey to America, visited me there. In the spring of 1848 I crossed over into Prussia in the area of Niesky, to serve in the pulpit of an emerging scattered group of so-called Old Lutherans in opposition to the Prussian state church. Even though this scattered congregation, as a result of my moving from Saxony, was elevated as a parish of its own, and I as its pastor was formally recognized by the Prussian government, motives were present among those families who had separated from the Union church, to forsake this particular place and to immigrate. I also found myself in some respects so restricted that I was moved to accept the call of the immigrants. After I arrived with my brethren I heard that all the diplomas and documents that a pastor brings from Germany do not authorize him here in the state to perform marriages, and that it is necessary to be authorized by your synod. Now many are thinking about the necessity of marriage because during the journey husbands lost their wives and even more wives lost their husbands through death. I must therefore, before I can be authorized to perform marriages, perform the marriage union through a squire [justice of the peace] or through other pastors who are available. Already two couples in need of a marriage service, during my absence and without my knowledge, have been married by a Methodist pastor. It has also been ordered that I must obtain the eligibility from your synod quickly. I can now, of course, quickly and easily obtain certification from the nearest pastor in Galveston, who is the President of the Texas Synod. I have on my own already noticed so many reformed elements in the Texas Synod, that I cannot be inclined to join with it. I did not fight against the Union in Germany in order to actually acknowledge it now. I also feel a dislike for a church service that is so barren, almost without liturgy, as it here appears. The old Saxon style and manner in which the church service and sacraments are held has gone over into my flesh and blood. And I know that the Missouri Synod upholds for all practical purposes, my churchly mentality, as I believe and the book, Die Stimme unserer Kirche in Frage von Kirche und Amt Erlangen 1852, [The Voice of our Church as to the Question of Church and Ministry], which lies before me, is a book according to my own heart. So I cannot help but ask that you would issue, in the name of your synod, the necessary authorization in the English language.

Even though I would gladly personally present myself to the Missouri Synod, I cannot now appear in St. Louis for obvious reasons. I also base my request for authorization from your synod on the grounds of my personal acquaintance with Dr. Sihler. Nevertheless, may I comment that my association with the Missouri Synod in the next year can only be one of written communication.

May I also request of you that you send me your journal, The Lutheraner so I can keep up with you regularly and possibly also contribute essays for it. However, I would also like the entire volume of the previous year for my information. After that I request that a printed constitution of the Missouri Synod be included, and I would like to have a publication from which I can learn the Methodist confession and what you have written about them. But the description of their principles must be specific and accurate. I have seen during a short residence in this country that I will be dealing with this religious party.

Finally, I request that for the present all my letters and publications, which I should receive, be sent to me in care of Mr. Andrew Vetter, blacksmith in Round Top, Fayette Co., Texas.

Awaiting a speedy answer, I remain in the Lord with cordial greetings to Dr. Sihler.

Your faithful minister
John Kilian
Evangelical Lutheran Pastor

P.S.: On the last Friday, 11 February, a league of land was purchased on which the association plans to settle.

[Comment by Walther: May the Lord bless our dear brothers together with their faithful shepherd, materially and spiritually, and through them the church on our new homeland!

[Biar; GRN]

Hochwürdiger und hoch geehrter Professor und Pastor!

In Vertrauen zu Ihrem unablässigen Bestreben, die Kirche des reinen Bekenntnisses in allen Teilen der Vereinigten Staaten vertreten zu sehen, wende ich, ein eben in Texas eingewanderter Pastor ihnen folgendes vorzulegen:

Es war im Jahre 1853, als etliche und dreißig Wenden, preußische Lutheraner, die von der preußischen Union zur lutherischen Kirche sich zurückgewendet hatten, nach Texas auswanderten, und an der Insel Kuba Schiffbruch erlitten hatten und ihr Leben retteten, und in Winter 1854 von ihre Freunde so günstige Briefe schrieben, daß ihnen eine ganze Gesellschaft von 500 Seelen gefolgt ist. Diese ev. luth. Gemeinde, bestehend aus sogenannten alt-lutherischen preußischen Familien, denen sich etwas 200 Lutheraner aus der sächsischen Staatskirche anschlossen, haben mich, den Unterzeichneten, berufen, sie as Pastor un Lehrer zu begleiten. Die Gesellschaft wurde durch das Haus Val-Lor-Meyer über Hamburg und Liverpool ....?

Ich bin nun mit dieser Gemeinde am 16ten Dez vergangenen Jahres in Galveston angekommen, und mit den bemittelteren, nachdem die ärmeren in Houston und anderswo in Arbeit treten mußten, 200 englische Meilen ins Land gezogen, hier an der Rabbs Creek, in Bastrop County geht der nicht ganz entblößte Teil der Gesellschaft, der auch für die ärmeren die Überfahrt bezahlt hat, damit um, eine Legua Land zu kaufen, um auch die ärmeren in diese neue Heimat nachkommen zu lassen.

Unbewohntes Land ist hier die Fülle. Bei der Schwierigkeit in Texas den richtigen Eigentümer einer Landesstrecke zu finden war es den Leuten bisher noch nicht möglich sich zukaufen... so daß sie wochenlang in Hütten wohnen mußten. Überhaupt ist diese meine Gemeinde durch viel Kampf gegangen obwohl die Seefahrt eigentlich ohne Sturm abgung. Wir haben während der ganzen Reise an die 70 Personen, meistens durch die Cholera, verloren, von welcher die Gesellschaft während der Reise durch England ergriffen wurde. Schon in Liverpool starben etliche Personen. Doch fuhren wir am 26sten September im großen englischen Zweidecker Ben Nevis (Capt. Herron) von Liverpool ab, außer der Schiffsgesellschaft 580 Seelen. Schon während der sehr ruhigen viertägigen Fahrt im Irischen Kanal folgten die Cholera Todesfälle schnell aufeinander, so daß wir im Cork-Hafen in Irland drei Wochen in Quarantäne liegen mußten. Unsere Seereise von da nach Galveston dauerte 7 1/2 Wochen. In dieser Zeit sind noch mehr gestorben.

Nach diesen vorläufigen Notizen vernehmen Sie nun auch mein Anliegen, das mich veranlaßt hat diesen Brief zu schreiben. Ich, ein geborener Sachse bin von 24sten September 1837 11 Jahre lang ev. Lutherische Pastor zu Kotitz im Koenigreich Sachsen gewesen, wo mich Dr. Sihler, ehe er nach Amerika reiste, besucht hat. Im Herbst 1848 bin ich nach Preußen übergegangen um einer in der Gegend von Niesky entstandenen Diaspora sogenannter Altlutheraner im Gegensatz zur preußischen Staats Kirche amtlich zu bedienen. Obwohl diese Diasporagemeinde durch diese mir Übersiedelung aus Sachsen zur eigenen Parochie erhoben wurde, so daß auch ich als Pastor derselben von der preußischen Regierung förmlich anerkann wurde, so waren doch für die von der unierten Kirche separierten Familien Beweggründe vorhanden, diese eigentümlich Stellung zu verlassen, und auszuwandern. Auch ich fand mich in mancher Beziehung so beengt, daß ich bewogen wurde, den Beruf der Auswanderer anzunehmen. Nachdem ich mit meinen Brüdern hierhergekommen bin, höre ich, daß alle Diplome und Dokumente, die ein Pastor aus Deutschland mitbringt, nicht hinreichen ihn hier vor dem Staat zum Traupastor zu autorisieren, und die Autorisation seiner Synode notwendig sei. Nun machen sich schon darum weil während der Reise Ehemänner ihre Frauen und mehre Frauen ihre Männer verloren haben durch den Tod, viele Trauungen nötig. Ich muß daher, ehe ich zur Vollziehung von Trauungen autorisiert bin, die eheliche Verbindung in meiner Abwesenheit durch den squire oder durch andere Pastoren die zunächst zu erlangen sind, vollziehen lassen. Auch haben sich schon zwei Brautpaare in solche Not in meiner Abwesenheit, ohne daß ich darum wußte, von einem Methodistenpastor trauen lassen. Es ist also geboten daß ich die Qualifikation von einer Synode schnell haben muß. Ich kenn nun zwar diese Qualifikation von dem nächsten Pastor in Galveston, welcher Präses der Texas Synode ist, sehr leicht und schnell erlangen. Allein ich habe in der Texas Synode schon jetzt so viele reformierte Elemente bemerkt, daß ich nicht geneigt sein kann, derselben beizutreten. Ich habe ja nicht in Deutschland gegen die Union gekämpft, um sie nun tatsächlich anzuerkennen. Ich fühle auch einen Widerwillen, die Gottesdienste so kahl, fast ohne Liturgie, wie es hier zu geschehen scheint. Die alte kursächsische Art und Weise des Gottesdienstes und Sakraments zu halten ist mir zu sehr in Fleisch und Blut übergegangen. Und da ich weiß daß die Missouri Synode meinen kirchlichen Sinn, wie ich glaube, praktisch ausführt, wie die "Stimme der Kirche in der Frage von Kirche und Amt" Erlangen 1852, welches Buch eben vor mir liegt, mir aus dem Herzen geschrieben ist, so kann ich nicht umhin zu bitten, daß Sie mir im Namen Ihrer Synode die erforderliche Autorisation in englischer Sprache ausstellen, damit ich dieselbe dem County Clerk vorlegen kann.
Allein in St. Louis erscheinen kann ich jetzt nicht aus naheliegenden Gründen, so gern ich auch mich der Missouri Synode persönlich vorstellen würde. Meine Bitte um Autorisation seitens Ihrer Synode gründe ich daher auf meine persönliche Bekanntschaft mit Dr. Sihler. Dabei bemerke ich, daß auch mein Verkehr in den nächsten Jahren mit der Missouri Synode nur ein schriftlicher sein kann.

Nun ersuche ich Sie noch, mir Ihre Zeitschrift, den Lutheraner, zukommen zu lassen, damit ich sie regelmäßig mithalten, auch Ihnen vielleicht Aufsätze für denselbe zuschießen lasse. Jedoch wünsche ich auch den ganzen Jahrgang des vorigen Jahres zu meiner Orientierung. Sodan bitte ich, mir eine gedruckte Kirchenordnung der Missouri Synode zuzusenden, und aus dem wahre mir lieb, eine Schrift zu haben, aus welcher ich die Konfession der Methodisten und was Sie an ihnen auszusetzen haben kennen lernen kann. Aber die Darstellung ihrer Grundsätze muß genau und gerecht sein. Ich sehe nach einem kurzen Aufenthalt im Lande daß ich mit dieser Kirchenpartei zu schaffen haben werde.

Endlich bitte ich, alle Briefe und Schriften die ich erhalten soll in care of Mr. Vetter Blacksmith, in Bastrop, Bastrop Co., zu senden.

Eine baldige gütige Antwort erwartend, verbleibe ich, mit Grüßen an Dr. Sihler, im Herrn,

Euer Hochwürden ergebener
Johann Kilian
Ev. luth. Pastor
An der Rabbs Creek, Bastrop Co.,
9th Feb. 1855
[GRN]

34.5 Letter 33.7.1  9 Feb 1855 25.jpg - 332kB

34.5 Letter 33.7.2  9 Feb 1855 25.jpg - 340kB

34.5 Letter 33.7.3  8 Feb 1855 25.jpg - 357kB

34.5 Letter 33.7.4  9 Feb 1855 25.jpg - 335kB

Go To Top