The Wendish Research Exchange
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 064.500 Schaller to Kilian [CHI, Serbin Collection] 23 Aug 1859
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-11-2015 at 02:43 PM
064.500 Schaller to Kilian [CHI, Serbin Collection] 23 Aug 1859

St. Louis, date: August 23, 1859

Honorable,
Dear Brother Clergyman!

Pastor J. G. (J. George) Roehm, President of the first Evangelical Lutheran Synod in Texas addressed a letter to me, in which he announces that Pastor Lieb should also serve a part of your congregation, that partly is expelled by you partly is seceded, and have organized themselves into their own congregation, as long as from the side of our synod the legality of that expulsion is not substantiated. Therefore I would like to kindly ask you, to inform me about the course of events so far that I will be able to provide a decision about it.

How is it going with you otherwise? We regret very much, that we are so far from you and you so distant from us, and that it is so difficult to come together. Wouldn’t it yet be possible that you could come to our next general Synod, which in a year shall be held here in St. Louis? It would be a huge delight for all of us.

May the Lord be with you and yours,
G. Schaller
Care of Rev. C. F. W. Walther

(Note: The Frelsburg “conventicler” applied for membership to the TX Synod in 1860 and was served by Pastor J. George Lieb of Round Top until 1864. The congregation returned to St. Paul in 1867. Cf. Pause to Ponder, Robert J Koenig, p. 14.)

Translated by H. Melvin Symmank and Christian Symmank

St. Louis d. 23. Aug. 1859.

Ehrwürdiger,
Geliebter Herr Amtsbruder!

Herr P. J. G. Röhm, Präsident der Erst. Ev. Luth. Synode in Texas hat ein Schreiben an mich gerichtet, worin er anzeigt, daß P. Lieb einen Theil Ihrer Gemeinde, der theils von Ihnen ausgeschlossen, theils ausgetreten sei, u. sich zu einer eigenen Gemeinde organisirt habe, so lange mitbedienen solle, als nicht von Seiten unsrer Synode die Rechtsmäßigkeit jenes Ausschlusses dargethan sei. Daher möchte ich Sie freundlich ersuchen, mir den Hergang der Sache in so weit mitzutheilen, daß ich im Stande bin, ein Urtheil darüber abgeben zu können.

Wie geht es Ihnen sonst? Wir bedauern sehr, daß wir so weit von Ihnen u. Sie von uns entfernt sind, u. es so schwer thut, zusammenzukommen. Wäre es nicht doch möglich, daß Sie auf unsre nächste allgemeine Synode, welche übers Jahr hier in St. Louis gehalten werden soll, kommen könnten? Es würde uns allen eine große Freude sein.

Der Herr sei mit Ihnen u. Ihrem

G. Schaller
Care of Rev. C. F. W. Walther

Transliterated by Christian Symmank

64.5, 23 Aug 1859.25.jpg - 178kB

Go To Top