110.856 Munzenberger to Governor Pease [TSLA] 26 Aug 1870

Serbin, Bastrop County
Texas
Aug 26th, 1870

To His Excellency
E. Davis, Esq.
Governor of the State of Texas

Excellency,

In the name of about 25 of our wealthy and influential citizens of this section I take the liberty to ask a few questions, hoping that your Excellency will not be offended by the same and consider the reasons and circumstances under which I am writing.

We wish to know whether, after having sent in a petition and map for the creation of a new county, named Serbin, - to consist of portions of Bastrop, Texas, Washington and Burleson Counties, our having a letter addressed to A. Kappler and others - all strong adherents to the present matter of things and policy -we wish to know, whether we may expect the creation of a new county with us or not.

Having carefully looked over all the intelligence of Legislature and Senate, we have not seen a single item concerning us and by these means although provoking and rather forward we wish, your Excellency will do us the favor to answer a few lines, telling us whether we may expect our own county, or whether we will yet and further on have to travel 22-27 miles to our county seat.

Hoping, your Excellency, that you will not regard our wishes as provoking, and on the contrary believe that we are your strong supporters as we always were.

I remain,
Your humble servant
C. Munzenberger,
in the name of
Settlement Serbin.

[Written on back of letter]
C. Munzenberger,
Serbin Bastrop Co.
Aug 26th, 1870
Answd, Aug 30th 1870

26 Aug 1870.pdf_page_2.jpg - 376kB

26 Aug 1870.pdf_page_3.jpg - 211kB