The Wendish Research Exchange
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 095.000 Explanation by Kilian [CHI, Serbin Collection] 26 Dec 1867
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-31-2015 at 09:42 PM
095.000 Explanation by Kilian [CHI, Serbin Collection] 26 Dec 1867

An Explanation

A clarification at a public congregational assembly on the second day of Christmas, 1867.

There is probably no one among us who is unaware of the full congregational meeting which was held on June 16th of this year on the Sunday after Pentecost in the presence of our District President, Pastor C.J.H. Fick. This assembly resolved to call a respectable school teacher during the upcoming year and that this conclusion should be made known immediately to Pastor Lindemann, the Director of the Teacher’s Seminary at Addison, Illinois. This decision was surely not against my wishes, but rather with them and it is still my ardent desire that a respectable schoolteacher would like to be employed by us as soon as the congregation can find one and after their unanimous decision, to issue a call. I explained at that time that I wanted to keep the local parochial school myself. From here on it is clear that my service to the school is only temporary and [the same that happened to the destitute Noth?] I don’t suppose that my service to the school counted, especially that not once was there an unruly classroom and there were never enough benches on hand for the school and yet still the children were able to do their writing assignments. For these reasons the new church is going to be built and with that our present church is going to be turned into a school. Only prior to the Serbin congregation’s decision we must wait until the entire arrangements have been made to that end and until a schoolteacher is acquired since the entire congregation wants a unanimous summons. And our new church will be built all the faster the sooner the arrangements for a good school can be realized. It is also difficult to believe there are such people who share no enthusiastic interest in the new church building in order to produce a new school. But if all the members do their duty with the church building and along with that responsibility then God, the true Heavenly Father, is also coming along with us to certainly give us a suitable qualified schoolteacher at the right time.

But there are now some members of the parish who do not want to wait any more and thoughtlessly rush forth on my school performance, which I have myself have never sufficiently been able to produce, and a sudden, immediate penetrating demand for modification in school performance and direction, without once bringing a suggestion which should involve the school itself, and in it lies an insult towards me. Since it can be nothing else than expected with this entire uproar, and what I myself wanted to have come forth from the school I now retire with disdain. These people clearly worked toward the goal that I should no longer be their school leader and brings me through such criticism of my school leadership that all respect is lost with your children. Because of them I can no longer hold the public school office with honor, which I have held the last 10 years not simply as a job but rather out of my own good will, in return for which I took only 33 1/3 cents per child each month from the parents as reimbursement. Consequently, today I am relinquishing up the public parochial school and thank everyone who had something to do with my service to the school for the last 10 years. Therefore, it remains up to the parish congregation to give up the school, to take measures and with that to see that the parochial school is not completely abandoned.

Henceforth, as your Pastor, I will continue only with confirmation instruction and it becomes my privilege to look after all religious instruction in the school and if necessary to intervene. Also I must be free to create a private school in case of people who wanted to enter into a contract with me. And if the last request is not possible then I am going to at least as instructional leader give up my own private instruction to children and must be the school director. The congregational assembly must agree besides if they want to grant me the use of the church for my possible private school in the future if the church is not going to be used for the public parochial school.

Finally, I am issuing notification that the scornful, anonymous, satirical attack struck at me, a person with honor among you, considers himself on guard.

Serbin, Texas, 26 December 1867
Johann Kilian, Pastor

[Translated by Joel R. Meador]

Erklärung

Vorgetragen in öffentlicher Gemeindeversammlung am zweiten Christtage 1867.

Es ist wohl Niemandem unter uns unbekannt, welch eine volle Gemeindeversammlung am 16ten Juni dieses Jahres, am Sonntage nach Pfingsten, im Beisein des Herrn Präses Pastor C. J. H. Fick hier gehalten wurde. Diese Versammlung beschloß, im nächsten Jahre einen ordentlichen Schullehrer zu berufen, welcher Beschluß dem Herrn Seminardirector Lindemann nach Addison, Ill., sofort gemeldet werden sollte, was auch meinerseits geschehen ist. Diesen Beschluß faßte die Gemeindeversammlung nicht etwa wider meinen Willen, sondern mit meinem Willen und es ist mein sehnlicher Wunsch auch noch jetzt, daß ein ordentlicher Schullehrer bei uns angestellt werden möchte, so bald die Gemeinde einen bekommen kann und in dem Entschluß, denselben zu berufen, einstimmig ist. Ich erklärte damals, daß ich bis dahin die hiesige Gemeindeschule noch selbst halten wollte. Hieraus ist klar, daß mein Schulehalten nur einstweilig ist und aus bloßer Noth geschieht. Ich bilde mir auch nicht ein, daß mein Schulehalten „hinlänglich“ sei, zumal da nicht einmal eine ordentliche Schulstube da ist und nicht einmal gehörige Schulbänke vorhanden sind, daß die Kinder aufs Paper schreiben könnten. Deßhalb wird eben die neue Kirche gebaut, damit diese unsere jetzige Kirche in ein Schulhaus umgewandelt werden könne. Ehe nun die Gemeindeschule in Serbin hinlänglich werden kann, muß eben gewartet werden, bis wir die vollständige Einrichtung dazu haben und bis ein Schullehrer zu erlangen ist, den die ganze Gemeinde einstimmig berufen kann und will. Und je schneller unsere neue Kirche aufgebaut sein wird, desto schneller wird auch die Einrichtung einer guten Schule zur Ausführung kommen können. Es ist also schwer zu glauben, daß solchen Leuten, die am Kirchbau sich nicht eifrig betheiligen, um baldige Herstellung einer guten Schule zu thun sei. Wenn aber die Gemeindeglieder alle bei Kirchbau ihre Pflicht thun, damit recht bald ein ordentlicher Schulsaal mit Schullehrerwohnung eingerichtet werden könne, dann wird uns auch Gott, der treue Vater im Himmel, zu rechter Zeit einen passenden, tüchtigen Schullehrer gewiß geben.

Daß aber jetzt etliche Glieder der Gemeinde gar nicht mehr warten wollen und auf mein Schulhalten unbesonnen losstürmen, welches ich ja selbst niemals für hinlänglich ausgegeben habe, und eine plötzliche, alsbaldige Aenderung im Schulehalten so dringend fordern, ohne doch einen Mann in Vorschlag zu bringen, der die Schule nun halten solle, darin liegt für mich eine Ehrenkränkung. Denn es kann mit diesem ganzen Aufruhr doch nichts Anderes gemeint sein, als daß man mich aus der Schule heraus haben will und mich also mit Hohn abdankt. Diese Leute arbeiten offenbar darauf hin, daß ich ihr Schulhalter nicht mehr sein soll und bringen mich durch solche Herabsetzung meines Schulehaltens um allen Respekt bei ihren Kindern. Darum kann ich denn auch nicht mehr mit Ehren die öffentliche Schule halten, welche ich nicht aus Beruf, sondern aus gutem Willen über 10 Jahre lang gehalten habe, wofür ich von den Eltern nur 33 1/3 Cents aufs Kind pro Monat als Schulgeld nahm. Ich gebe somit heute die öffentliche Gemeindeschule ab und danke Allen, welche nun über 10 Jahre mit meinem Schulehalten Geduld hatten. Es bleibt daher der Gemeindeversammlung überlassen, Schritte zu thun, damit die öffentliche Gemeindeschule nicht gänzlich ausgesetzt bleibe.

Ich als Pastor behalte fortan nur den Confirmandenunterricht und das mir zustehene Recht, allen Religionsunterricht in der Schule zu beaufsichtigen und nöthigenfalls zu halten. Auch muß mir natürlich freistehen, Privatschule zu halten, falls es Leute gäbe, die deßhalb einen Contrakt mit mir machen wollten. Und wen das Letztere auch nicht wäre, so werde ich doch wenigstens als Hausvater meinen eigenen Kindern Privatunterricht geben und Hauslehrer sein müssen. Die Gemeindeversammlung hat nur darüber abzustimmen, ob sie mir den Gebrauch der Kirche zu meiner etwaigen Privatschule gestatten will für alle Zeit, so oft als die Kirche nicht für die öffentliche Gemeindeschule gebraucht wird.

Schließlich zeige ich an, daß der höhnische namenlose Pasquill anschlag, mit dem man uns beehrt hat, in meiner Verwahrung sich befindet.

Serbin, Texas, am 26sten December 1867
Johann Kilian, Pastor.

[Transliterated by Christian Symmank]

Letter 95.1 26 Dec 1867.25.jpg - 291kB

Letter 95.2 26 Dec 1867.25.jpg - 289kB

Go To Top