The Wendish Research Exchange
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 102.700 Buenger to Kilian [TWHS, Blasig Collection] 17 Jul 1868
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-17-2015 at 07:17 PM
102.700 Buenger to Kilian [TWHS, Blasig Collection] 17 Jul 1868

The Reverend Pastor,
My beloved friend,

Hopefully our loving God is going to bring Mr. Leubner safely and soundly to you as he departs from here today for Serbin. My wish and my hope is that you, with him, are going to have some real assistance at the school. I have admonished him not to sacrifice himself as a Parthei, but at the same time to not be pushy, but rather to be open, honest and friendly with all the members of the congregation, to suppress himself and to be obedient to you as you are his superior.

I have been concerned about traveling money and other necessary expenditures for our Mr. Leubner. Certainly it is going to be a large sum.

For the trip from Addison to Saint Louis I have sent $161 to Director Lindemann to relieve his concerns. For the trip from Saint Louis to New Orleans by steamboat at a price of $25. For the trip from New Orleans to Serbin I have given him $30 in order to avoid any embarrassment. For a fine hat and a nice linen coat, which will be essential in the Texas heat, $5. Expenses in Saint Louis were necessary to provide transportation of his things by horse carriage, $2. Altogether this amounts to $78.

Therefore, this is all money paid out by me, which I would certainly like to have back as soon as possible. Now comes the important part of the account for books to Barthel amounting to $83.30 that I have not yet paid for, but which equally, if possible, will need to be repaid to me. Director Lindemann wrote me that the books which Leubner should take with him from Saint Louis were in part ordered by you and part were essential to dear Leubner. I have enclosed a sample of our agenda to you and with that you see the formula for ordination of the young pastor Zimmermann. An ordination is not going to be taken off the agenda, because the Synod is not vested with the worldly authority that a church council has. What concerns Pastor Braun is that there is still no member of the Missouri Synod, who, to my knowledge, has taken any steps to want to be the one. I feel that if this person is a righteous, upright Lutheran, like I hope, and he comes from the same congregation as Zimmermann and has until now served to that extent in the Missouri Synod, that they would like to get a preacher from the same congregation. Thus, one should show him the honor of granting the actual ordination and could express good wishes over the ordination and even offer assistance. If you do have misgivings about carrying out the ordination it does not have to take place. You are the authorizing power. After the ordination and installation takes place you need to send a brief report to “The Lutheran.” At the next General Synod meeting, if it is God’s will and we are still living, you should bring Pastor Braun along. The meeting is going to be held in Fort Wayne in the fall of 1869. What normally happens is that you will have an oral report to Lindemann. With brotherly compliments to you, I remain yours with deep respect.

Your servant,
J. F. Bunger

Saint Louis, Missouri
July 17, 1868
Address: 13th Street, Number 1015

[Translated by Joel R. Meador]

Ehrwürdiger Herr Amtsbruder,
Geliebter Freund!

Hoffentlich wird der liebe Gott Ihnen Herrn Leubner, der heute abreist von hier, glücklich und wohlbehalten nach Serbin bringen. Ich hoffe und wünsche, daß Sie an ihm einen treuen Gehülfen haben werden in der Schule. Ich habe ihn ermahnt, keiner Parthei sich hinzugeben, aber auch keine von sich zu stoßen, sondern gegen alle Glieder der Gemeinde offen und ehrlich und freundlich sich zu verhalten und Ihnen, als seinem Vorgesetzten, gehorsam zu sein.

Für das Reisegeld und sonstige nöthige Ausgaben für Herrn Leubner habe ich gesorgt. Freilich giebt es einegroße Rechnung.

An Herrn Dir. Lindemann, der für die Reise von Addison bis St. Louis gesorgt hat, habe ich in diesen Tagen zu schicken $16.00 Reise von hier bis New Orleans per Steamboat zu ermäßigtem Preise $25.00. Zur Reise von New Orleans bis Serbin, um ihn in keine Verlegenheit zu bringen, gegeben $30.00. Für einen Strafhut und einen Leinenwendrock, das in der Hitze nöthig war $5.00 Zu Ausgaben in St. Louis, für Fuhrlohn der Sachen, Horsecarr etc. $ 2.00 Total = $78.00.

Dieß ist also von mir ausgelegtes Geld, das ich freilich bald haben möchte. Nun kommt noch die bedeutende eingelegte Bücherrechnung an Barthel $83.30 betragend, diese habe ich noch nicht bezahlt, kann aber gleich, wenn möglich, in dem Wechsel an mich mitbezahlt werden. Herr Dir. Lindemann schrieb mir die Bücher, die Leubner von St. Louis mitnehmen sollte, die Sie theils bestellt hatten, theils dem l. Leubner nöthig waren. Ich habe ein Exemplar unsrer Agende Ihnen beigelegt, damit Sie aus dem Formular für Ordination ersehen, wie Sie sich bei der Ord. des jungen P. Zimmermann zu verhalten haben. Ein Ordinationseid wird nicht abgenommen, weil die Synode nicht, wie ein Consistorium, mit weltlicher Autorität bekleidet ist. Was Herrn P. Braun betrifft, so ist derselbe noch kein Glied der Missourisynode, hat auch meines Wissens noch keine Schritte gethan, es werden zu wollen. Ich meinte, wenn derselbe ein rechtschaffener Lutheraner ist, wie ich hoffe, u. da er die Gemeinde, in die Zimmermann kommt, bis jetzt bedient und für die Missourisynode insofern erhalten hat, daß sie einen Prediger von derselben bekommen möchte: so sollte man ihm die Ehre erweisen, bei der Ordination mit gegenwärtig zu sein und einen guten Wunsch über den Ordinanden aussprechen zu können, eben zu assistiren. Wenn Sie aber ein Bedenken haben, mit ihm die Ordination zu vollziehen: so kann das auch unterbleiben. Sie sind der bevollmächtigte Ordinator. Nach geschehener Ordination und Installation senden Sie gefälligst einen kurzen Bericht für „Den Lutheraner“ ein. Zur nächsten Generalsynode, so Gott will und wir leben, sollten Sie Herrn P. Braun mitbringen. Dieselbe wird im Herbst 1869 in Fort Wayne gehalten. Wie es sonst geht, wird Ihnen L. mündlich berichten. Sie brüderlich grüßend verbleibe ich mit aller Hochachtung

Ihr ergebener
J. F. Bünger

St. Louis, den 17 Juli 1868.

Adresse: No. 1015. 13. Str.

[Transliterated by Christian Symmank]

102.7 Buenger to Kilian.1.cropped.jpg - 103kB

102.7 Buenger to Kilian.2.jpg - 102kB

102.7 Buenger to Kilian.3.jpg - 114kB

102.7 Buenger to Kilian.4.cropped.jpg - 128kB

Go To Top