Author: Subject: 106.200 Kilian to Braun [TWHS, Blasig Collection] 8 Jan 1869
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-29-2015 at 09:50 PM
106.200 Kilian to Braun [TWHS, Blasig Collection] 8 Jan 1869

Serbin 8 January 1869
Rev. C. Braun, Houston, Texas

Dear colleague,

In relation to your registered letter of 7 December 1886 may I inform you in all brevity, that your information to our Wends, who have interested themselves about a new organ, have been completely pacified and satisfied. I will send back the enclosed papers as soon as I have spare time. You have done what can be done. One now waits patiently for what Mr. Trayser will find.

Personally I am not interested in matters of the organ. I will be satisfied with whatever Trayser will do. I am actually only the secretary of the “Friends of the Organ.”

What interests me now, however, is the misfortune of the Fortuna, a ship from Bremen. On this ship was a box of books which arrived and was addressed to me that was ruined when the Fortuna was stranded at Galveston. The gentlemen T. Kauffman & Co. notified me of the misfortune.

The matter with this box of books is as follows. Because my Wendish congregation here encountered a shortage of Wendish books, it collected money from heads of Wendish families in 1866 in order to order Wendish Bibles, songbooks, Luther’s Sermons etc. from Europe. In 1867 I sent a bill of exchange which was ordered on 11 January 1967 from J. Kauffmann & Co. in Galveston for 206 Taler and 20 Sgr to Kamenz in the Kingdom of Saxony to be sent to my cousin, Robert Kilian, who is a master bookbinder, with the instruction to obtain Wendish Bibles, songbooks, and Luther’s Sermons for this sum and to send them to me. As a consequence of the war in Europe in 1866 sending of the box of books was postponed.

[The remainder of the letter is scratched out. It deals primarily with the books.]

Johann Kilian, P.

[GRN; Biar]

Serbin am 8ten Januar 1869
Rev. C. Braun, Houston, Texas

Geliebter Herr Amtsbruder!

In Beziehung auf Ihren registrirten Brief vom 7 December 1868 habe ich Ihnen in aller Kürze mitzutheilen, daß Ihre Auskunft unsere Wenden, welche für die neue Orgel sich interessiren, vollständig beruhigt und befriedigt hat. Die mitgesandten Papiere werde ich Ihnen zurückstellen, so bald ich mehr Muße haben werde. Sie haben das Ihre gethan. Man erwartet nun geduldig was Herr Trayser aus finden wird.

Ich bin in der Orgelsache für meine Person nicht betheiligt. Mir wird Alles recht sein, was Herr Trayser thun wird. Ich bin eigentlich nur der Sekreter unserer Orgelfreunde.

Was mich aber jetzt interessirt, ist das Unglück der Bremer Barke Fortuna. Denn in diesem Schiffe ist eine an mich adressirte Bücherkiste mit angekommen und, da die Fortuna bei Galveston strandete, mit verdorben. Die Herren J. Kauffman & Co. in Galveston meldeten mir den Unfall.

Mit dieser Bücherkiste hat es folgende Bewandniß. Weil meiner hiesigen Wendengemeinde Wendische Bücher zu mangeln anfingen, so steuerten die Wendischen Familienväter im Jahre 1866 Geld zusammen, um Wendische Bibeln, Gesangbücher, Luther'sche Hauspostillen u. s. w. aus Europa kommen zu lassen. Im Jahre 1867 schickte ich darauf einen von den Herren J. Kauffmann & Co. in Galveston am 11ten Januar 1867 ausgestellten Wechsel für 206 Taler 20 Sgr nach Kamenz, Königreich Sachsen, an meinen Vetter, Robert Kilian, welcher dort Buchbindermeister ist, mit dem Auftrage, für diese Summe Wendische Bibeln, Gesangbücher, Luther’sche Hauspostillen, u.s.w. anher zu senden. Die Folgen des in Europa im Jahre 1866 geführten Krieges verzögerten ist die Absendung der Bücherkisten.

[The remainder of the letter is scratched out. It deals primarily with books.]

Johann Kilian, P.

[GRN; Biar]

Blasig  019.1c.jpg - 248kB

Blasig  019.2c.jpg - 286kB

Blasig  019.3c.jpg - 223kB

Go To Top