Author: Subject: 107.400 Kilian to Braun [CHI, Serbin Collection] 18 Jun 1869
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 7-1-2015 at 05:19 PM
107.400 Kilian to Braun [CHI, Serbin Collection] 18 Jun 1869

Serbin 18 June 1869
Rev. C. Braun, Houston

Dear colleague,

Carl Teinert has left for Houston with the cotton belonging to my brother-in-law Liberty. He was at first uncertain if he should travel to Houston or only as far as Brenham.

In the hope, that this letter will not arrive late at your place, but still during the presence of our Carl Teinert and my brother-in-law in Houston, I will write to you a completely haphazard worldly request. I indeed think Carl Teinert will visit you so that you can inform him of my wish, if my calculations in general are not off and the mail is fast enough.

I find myself in need because of my footgear the rubber shoes that you provided for me last year when I was with you, tore at the seam on the side, because they were somewhat tight and still are. I cannot use them next Sunday, and must conduct services in the only pair of boots that are patched. Our mercantile establishments have nothing suitable for me. Today I shopped at three of them and obtained nothing.

Therefore tell Carl Teinert to select, buy and bring back a pair of shoes for me, the desirable width is No. 6; and together with my brother-in-law Liberty, who renovates shoes and knows my feet, select, buy and bring along a pair of boots for me.

With the urgent plea, not to be offended by this profane request, I remain in love.

Sincerely, Johann Kilian, P.

[GRN; Biar]

Serbin am 18ten Juni 1869
Rev. C. Braun, Houston

Geliebter Herr Amtsbruder!

Carl Teinert ist nun doch noch mit dem Baumwolle meines Schwagers Liberty nach Houston abgefahren. Es war erst unentschieden, ob er nach Houston oder bloß nach Brenham fahren sollte.

In der Hoffnung nun, daß dieser Brief noch während der Anwesenheit unsers Carl Teinert und meines Schwagers in Houston eintreffen und nicht zu spät bei Ihnen anlangen wird, schreibe ich Ihnen ein ganz weltliches Anliegen aufs Gerathewohl. Ich denke doch, daß Carl Teinert Sie besuchen wird, so das Sie ihm meinen Wünsch werden kund thun können, wenn meine Rechnung nicht überhaupt fehl geht und die Post schnell genug ist.

Ich befinde mich in Noth wegen meines Schuhwerks die Gemmischuhe, die Sie mir verschafften, als ich im vorigen Jahre bei Ihnen war, reißen zur Seite aus der Naht, weil sie mir etwas knapp waren und blieben. Ich kann sie nächsten Sonntag nicht gebrauchen und muß in dem einzigen Paar Stiefeln, die geflickt sind, Kirche halten. Unsere Kaufmannschaft hat nichts Passendes für mich. Ich habe heute bei dreien angefragt u. nichts erreicht.

Darum werden Sie gefälligst dem Carl Teinert sagen, daß ein Paar Schuhe, die weitesten von No. 6, und ein Paar Stiefel für mich mit meinem Schwager Liberty, der ein renovierter Schuhmacher ist, aussuche, kaufe u mit bringe. Liberty kennt ja meinen Fuß.

Mit der inständigen Bitte, mir dieses profane Gesuch nicht übel zu nehmen, verbleibe ich in Liebe.

Ihr ergebener Johann Kilian, P.

[GRN; Biar]

Letter 107.4 18 Jun 1869.25.jpg - 211kB

Go To Top