mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-5-2015 at 08:43 PM
111.700 Braun to Kilian [CHI, Serbin Collection] 14 Nov 1870

Houston, November 14, 1870
Rev. J. Kilian
Serbin, Texas

Dear Brother,

Your valued letter dated October 4, I have had in hand for several weeks. Much business restricted my correspondence. We would have loved to have seen your Gerhard, had he not slipped by so quickly.

You have now, for the second time, come to an agreement. How long will it last? They are all coming back to you in the old church. As I have heard, most of the rebels are pure Wends. What are those pure Wends doing with a German pastor? In your situation, why don’t you put a paragraph in your Minutes stating that those who once or twice have left the congregation would in the future, by their separation as individuals or any one part up to half of the congregation, lose their rights to any property of the congregation, and would have no claim to it in any form. That would spare you any future separation. Mr. Loeffler shared with me that Wukasch lost his cotton press in a fire.

I am happy that Pastor Pallmer is friendly and Christian, but I doubt that he will long remain by you. Time will tell. I would not oppose him, but live with him in brotherly love.

Concerning us, this year, thanks to God, we have remained healthy. My oldest son, Casper, wants to become a mechanic, and for four years now has been in training. Two weeks ago, he got his finger in the machine, and it was completely torn off. He is lying around the house, and it may take weeks before he will be able to work again. Pastor Boehm did not get a favorable impression of your congregational situation. Under the circumstances, he will not think otherwise. Is Pastor Pallmer already now by you? I wonder whether he will visit me. Pastor Zimmermann is well and, with his wife, recently was with us.

This year, we were spared of getting yellow fever. Write to me some time again. My wife and I greet your wife and your family. In the meantime, we remain in love and respect.

Your devoted,
C. Braun, Pastor

[Translated by Ed Bernthal]

Houston, Nov. 14, 1870
Rev J. Kilian
Serbin, Texas

Ehrter Bruder,

Ihr Schützbares vom 4 Okt dutirt, habe ich seit einigen Wochen am Hand. Viele Geschäfte machten eine Strikung meinen Correspondenz. Ihren Gerhard hätten wir gern gesehen, thut uns leid, das er so vorbei rutscht.

Sie haben also zum 2ten mal Vertrug gemacht. Wie lange wird es währen? Sie kommen alle wieder zu Ihnen und die alte Kirche zurück. Wie ich hoere sind die meisten der Rebellen Stockwenden. Was thun Stockwenden mit einem Deutschen Pastor? Würde in ihrer Stelle einen Paragraph in ein Protokoll setzen; das wen solche die schon einmal und zweimal aus der Gemeinde ausgetreten sind bei künftigen Austreten als Einzelnen, oder als irgend ein Theil, bis zur halben Zahl der Gemeinde, alle Rechte an Gemeinde Eigenthum verlieren und keine Ausspruche irgend eine Art zu machen haben. Dieses würde Ihnen in Zukunft das Theilen sparen. Herr Löffler theilt mir das Wukasch seine Cotton Presse durch Feuer verlor.

Das Pastor Pallmer freundlich ist, gefält mir und ist Christlich, zweifel jadoch davon, das er lange bei Ihnen bleiben wird. Die Zeit will es lehren. Ich würde Ihn nicht opponiren, sondern in brüderlichkeit mit Ihm leben. Sie haben doch nun Ruhe Frieden.

Was uns anbelangt, so warren wir dieses Jahre, Gott sei Dank, gesund geblieben. Mein ältester Sohn Casper will Machinikus werden, und ging 4 Jahre in die Lehre. Brachte vor 2 Wochen den Finger in die Machine _____bereits ganz ampgerrisen wurde, Er liege nun zu Hause, und mag Wochen noch nehmen, bis er arbeitsfähig sein wird.

`Pastor Boehm erhielt keinen günstigen Eindruck über Ihre Gemeinde wesen. Lässt sich under den Umständen nicht anders Denken. Ist dan nun Pastor Pallmer schon bei Ihnen? Wunder ob er mich besuchen wird. Pastor Zimmermann ist gesund, er war kürzlig hier mit seiner Frau Gemahl.

Von Gelbenfieber blieben wir dieses Jahr veschont. Schreiben Sie mir mit der Zeit wieder.

Meine Frau grüsst mit mir Ihre Frau Gemahlin somit Ihrer Familie. Indes verbleibe ich in Liebe und Achtung.

Ihr ergebener,
C. Braun, P.

[Transliterated by Ed Bernthal]

Letter 111.7.1 14 Nov 1870.25.jpg - 213kB

Letter 111.7.2 14 Nov 1870.25.jpg - 155kB

Go To Top