The Wendish Research Exchange
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 115.000 Mattig to Kilian [CHI, Serbin Collection] 5 Jan 1872 Wendish
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-7-2015 at 03:36 PM
115.000 Mattig to Kilian [CHI, Serbin Collection] 5 Jan 1872 Wendish

Breitendorf, January 5, 1872

Dear Uncle,

I have often planned to write to you, but, before that happened, the holidays were over, the time in which I really wished to write because only during this time were all the Maettigs [the family name of the writer] together. So that the time does not grow even longer because the Christmas vacation is leaning toward its end, I am sending you a brief letter in behalf of our entire family. First, I shall write about events in the family and our relatives. Father and mother are well, as are also my brothers and sisters. While I am writing this letter at 4:00 o'clock in the afternoon, father is threshing in the barn. my brother Gustav is grinding in the mill, my mother is weaving in her room, and my sister Maria is sewing. My brother Handrij is also at home for the vacation and otherwise is a part of the top form [the class about to graduate] and hopes to receive his diploma at Easter of next year. My brother Karl and my sister are well and are attending school diligently. I, the writer of the letter, was for half a year, from Michaelmas [Feast of St. Michael, the Archangel, Sep 29] until Easter, after passing the candidate screening, a private tutor in Dresden with a Mr. Wiebach. At Easter my student (I taught only one student at the Gymnasium [a type of school], an eleven-year-old, [wording unclear, but the sense is that the arrangement came to an end], and I had to try for another position. After I received refusal after refusal in response to the various letters in which I asked for a position, I received a position as teacher at the secondary school in Annaberg from an ecclesiastical council member, Dr. Gilbert, the place where I still am and where I am pleased to be. The school is rather large, with about 300 students and all together 20 teachers. The director is Prof. Gilbert, the uncle of the council member, and a very friendly gentleman. I also get along well with the other teachers [Even though the meaning of "VIB" is not apparent, what is about to be described is an institution with six grade levels, each identified with the Latin words for first (prima), the highest level, through sixth (sexta), the lowest. and with each grade divided into two divisions.] I am a classroom teacher for the VIB (we have 12 classes, Prima - Sexta, each divided into divisions because of the large number of students). In my class I teach eight hours of Latin, two of history, and one of Latin; in the VIB I have five hours of religion, four of German, and one of Latin. The students are open-minded (totally unlocked), as are all Lusatians, by the way; but, nevertheless, quite weak, as a result of which the Latin language seems especially difficult to them. At Easter we are moving into a new high school, which is already finished. What is unpleasant about Annaberg is that everything is rather expensive, the pavement is bad, and in winter much snow is on the ground. It is colder here than in other locations in Saxony. In the cemetery in Annaberg I have often seen the Linden trees, about which you too certainly have heard. It is told that they were pulled out of the ground by a believer when the trees were young and then transplanted with the crown[?] in order to convince an unbeliever about the resurrection of the dead. The shape of the branches does actually look much like roots. All of these Linden trees rest on 23 stone and wooden steps. [A picture or more detail would help to clarify this description.]

Grandmother Niethaner is not getting along particularly well with her leg. She is still on crutches although she is otherwise well. My uncle complains about shortness of breath and coughing. My uncle and aunt, the Baiers, are well. My uncle was in church in Nostitz at the time of our fair and afterward came to visit us with Rev. Domaschke. My aunt, however, was visiting the Niethener relatives. Uncle Blasius in Hochkirch is well and intends to allow one of his sons to study, and he already is attending the urban [public?] school in Loebau. Rev. Klein resigned his ministry at the time of Michaelmas, but still lives in Kittlitz, and, indeed, in a beautiful new house which he had newly built for himself. He also still preaches sometimes. Rentsch, the former deacon in Kittlitz, is coming to replace him, and apparently the new deacon will be pastoral candidate M. Voigt, son of Deacon Voigt at Goedaer. Rev. Moehn moved to Dresden, and when I lived in Dresden I visited and met him a number of times. He is well. Cantor Kieschner in Hochkirch also retired at the time of Michaelmas and now lives with his son, the dentist in Kleinwelka. For this reason, the service medal was presented to him by the king [unless the man's name was Koenig]. A certain Mr. Hatnik, born in Guttau, took his place.

Finally, we wish you as well as your loved ones, dear Uncle, all the best and happiness spiritually and physically at the beginning of the new year, and, finally, across the sea warm best wishes from my parents, brothers and sisters, and myself.

Ernst Maettig, theological candidate

[Translated by Ray Martens]

Breitendorf, den 5. Januar 1872

Lieber Onkel.

Oft habe ich mir schon vorgenommen, ihnen zu schreiben, aber bevor dies geschah, waren die Ferien wieder um, in denen ich gerne schreiben wollte, denn nur zu dieser Zeit sind alle Mättigs zusammen hier. Damit sich die Zeit nicht noch mehr verlängert, weil sich die Weihnachtsferien dem Ende zu neigen, schicke ich ihnen im Namen unserer ganzen Familie einen kleinen Brief. Zuerst schreibe ich über Ereignisse in der Familie und unsere Verwandtschaft. Vater und Mutter sind gesund und ebenso meine Brüder und Schwestern. Während ich diesen Brief schreibe, drischt Vater nachmittags 4.00 Uhr in der Scheune, mein Bruder Gustav mahlt in der Mühle, die Mutter webt in der Stube und meine Schwester Maria näht. Mein Bruder Handrij ist auch zuhause in den Ferien und besucht sonst die Oberprima und beabsichtigt, Ostern nächstes Jahr seine Matura zu bestehen. Mein Bruder Karl und die Schwester sind gesund und besuchen fleißig die Schule. Ich, der Briefschreiber, bin nach bestandener Kandidatenprüfung für ein halbes Jahr in Dresden Hauslehrer gewesen bei einem Herrn Wiebach, von Michaeli bis Ostern. Zu Ostern kommt mein Schüler (ich unterrichtete am Gymnasium nur einen Schüler von 11Jahren) und ich mußte mich um eine andere Stelle bemühen. Nachdem ich auf verschiedene Briefe, in denen ich mich nach einer Stelle erkundigte, Absage auf Absage erhalten hatte, erhielt ich von einem kirchlichen Geheimrat Dr. Gilbert eine Stelle als Lehrer an der Realschule in Annaberg, wo ich noch bin und wo es mir gefällt. Die Schule ist ziemlich groß, mit etwa 300 Schülern und zusammen 20 Lehrern. Direktor ist Prof. Gilbert, Onkel des Geheimrates, und ein sehr freundlicher Herr. Auch mit den anderen Lehrern kommt man gut aus. Ich bin Klassenlehrer der VIB (wir haben 12 Klassen, Prima – Sexta, jede von ihnen ist aber in Parallelklassen geteilt, wegen der hohen Schülerzahl.) Ich halte in meiner Klasse 8 Stunden Latein, 2 Stunden Geschichte und 1 Stunde Deutsch; in der VIB habe ich 4 Stunden Religion, 5 Stunden Deutsch und 1 Stunde Latein. Die Schüler sind, wie übrigens alle Erzgebirgler, offenen Geistes (sehr aufgeschlossen), trotzdem aber ziemlich schwach, wobei ihnen besonders die lateinische Sprache schwer fällt. Zu Ostern ziehen wir in eine neue Realschule um, die bereits fertiggestellt ist. Unangenehm an Annaberg ist, daß alles ziemlich teuer, das Pflaster schlecht ist und im Winter sehr viel Schnee liegt. Es ist hier auch kälter als in anderen Gegenden Sachsens. Auf dem Friedhof in Annaberg habe ich auch die Linde mehrfach gesehen, von der auch sie bestimmt gehört haben. Selbige hat als junges Bäumchen, wie erzählt wird, ein Gläubiger aus der Erde gerissen und mit der Krone wieder eingepflanzt, um einen Ungläubigen von der Wiederauferstehung von den Toten zu überzeugen. Die Gestalt der Äste sieht wirklich Wurzeln sehr ähnlich. Die ganze Linde ruht auf 23 steinernen und hölzernen Stufen (?).

Der Niethener Oma geht es nach wie vor nicht besonders gut mit ihrem Bein. Sie geht immer noch an Krücken, ist aber sonst gesund. Der Onkel klagt über kurzen Atem und Husten. Onkel Baier und Tante Baier sind gesund. Der Onkel war zu unserer Kirmes im Gottesdienst in Nostitz und kam danach mit Pfarrer Domaschke zu uns zu Besuch. Die Tante aber besuchte die Niethener Verwandten. Onkel Blasius in Hochkirch ist gesund und beabsichtigt, einen seiner Söhne studieren zu lassen, und jener besucht auch schon die städtische Schule in Löbau. Pfarrer Klien hat zu Michaeli sein Amt niedergelegt, wohnt aber noch in Kittlitz, und zwar in einem schönen neuen Haus, das er sich neu erbauen ließ. Manchmal predigt er auch noch. An seine Stelle kommt der bisherige Diakon Rentsch in Kittlitz, und als Diakon kommt wahrscheinlich der Kand. Rev. M. Voigt, Sohn des Gödaer Diakons Voigt. Pfarrer Möhn ist nach Dresden umgezogen, und ich, als ich in Dresden wohnte, habe ihn mehrmals besucht und getroffen. Er ist gesund. Kantor Kieschner in Hochkirch ist auch zu Michaelis in den Ruhestand gegangen und er wohnt nun bei seinem Sohn, der Arzt in Kleinwelka ist. Vom König wurde ihm aus diesem Anlaß die Verdienstmedaille überreicht. An seine Stelle tritt ein gewisser Herr Hatnik, geboren in Guttau.

Zum Schluß wünschen ihnen nun, lieber Onkel, sowie ihren Lieben, alles Gute und Glück, geistig und körperlich, für das anbrechende neue Jahr und zum Schluß über das Meer hinweg herzlich alles Gute von meinen Eltern, Brüdern und Schwestern und mir selbst

Ernst Mättig, Cand. Theol.

[Martin Strauch]

Wujezd, 5. januara 1872

Luby wujo.

Wjele króč sym so hižo hotował, wam list pisać, ale prjedy hač so sta, běchu zaso prózdniny zašłe, w kotrychž jón rad pisać chcych, dokelž jenož tudy smy cyła Mättigerc familija hromadźe. Zo njeby tutón čas mojeho komdźenja hišće dlěši so sčinił, dokelž so hodowne prózdniny pak k swojemu kóncej bliža, da pósćelu wam tudy w mjenje našeje cyłeje familije mały lisćik. Pisam najprjedy wo nadeńdźenjach w našej familiji a wo našim přećelstwje. Nan a mać staj hišće strowaj, tak tež moji bratřa a mojej sotře. Nan tuchwilu, hač tutón list pisam, je pjatk popołdnju w 4.00 h w bróžni a młóći, mój bratr Gusta w młoncy mlěje, mać pak w stwi předźe a moja sotra Marja šije. Mój bratr Handrij je tež doma na ferijach, wón je nětko w ...primje a ma mysle, jutry za lěto maturitne pruwowanje wobstać. Bratr Korla a sotra Hana su strowi a chodźa pilnje do šule. Ja, pisar tutoho lista, sym po wobstatym kandidatskim ... poł lěta w Drježdźanach domjacy wučer był pola jedneho knjeza Wiedebacha, wot Michała hač do jutrow. Jutry přindźe mój šuler -mějach jenož jedneho hólčeca wot 11 lět wučić- na gymnazijumje, a ja dyrbjach so za druhe městno starać. Jako běch na wšelke listy, w kotrychž so za městnom prašach, wotprajenje za wotprajenjom dóstał, dóstach přez potajneho cyrkwineho radźićela dr. Gilberta městno jako wučer na realšuli w Annabergu, hdźež hišće sym a hdźež so mi spodoba. Realšula w Annabergu je chětro wulka, su na njej nimale 300 šulerjow a smy hromadźe 20 wučerjo. Direktor je prof Gilbert, wuj (Neffe) potajneho cyrkwineho radźićela, a je jara přećelniwy knjez. Tež je z tymi druhimi knjezami wučerjemi jara pěkne wobeńdźenje. Sym Klassenwučer wot VIB (mamy 12 klasow, prima – sexta, kóžda wot tutych pak je zaso do dweju paralelklasow dźělena, wulkeje ličby šulerjow dla, a mam w tejsamej 8 łaćonskich štundow, 2 stawizny a 1 němsku dawać, w VIB mam 4 štundy religion, 5 němsku rěč a 1 łaćonšćimu. Šulerjo su kaž scyła wobydlerjo Rudnych horow dobreho ducha, hačrunjež husto jara słabi, wosebje jim łaćonska rěč jara ćežce do hłowy dźe. Na jutry ćehnjemy do noweje realšule, kotraž hižo cyle hotowa steji. Njedušne w Annabergu je, zo je wšitko chětro drohe, plestr jara hubjeny a w zymje jara wjele sněha kaž tež něšto zymnišo hač na druhich blakach Sakskeje. Sym tež na porjebnišću w Annabergu tu lipu wjele króč widźał, wo kotrejž tež wy wěsće hižo słyšeli sće. Tusamu je, kaž so powěda, jedyn wěrjacy, zo by jedneho njewěrjaceho wot horjestawanja mortwych přeswědčił, jako mału lipku wutorhnył a z hałuzami zaso do zemje sadźił. Zwonkny štalt hałuzow je tež woprawdźe cyle na korjenje podobne, cyła lipa wotpočuje na 23 kamjentnych a drjewjanych stopach.

Něćinska wowka je přeco jenak hubjena na swoju nohu, chodźi hišće přeco jenož po krykach, ale je hewak strowa. Wuj skorži jara na ... dych a tež na kašel. Wuj Baier a Baierec ćeta su strowi, wuj je našu kermušu w Nosaćicach kemši był a potom z knjezom duchownym Domašku k nam na kermušu přišoł, ćeta pak je w Něćinje na wopytanju była. Wuj Blasius w Bukecach je strowy a ma w myslach jedneho syna studować dać, tónsamy je tohodla hižo w Lubiju na měsćanskej šuli. Knjez duchowny Klien je na Michała swój hamt dele połožił, bydli pak hišće w Ketlicach, a to w rjanej nowej chěži kotruž je sebi znowa natwarić dał, a prěduje hdys a hdys. Na jeho městno přindźe dotalny diakonus Rentsch w Ketlicach, a jako diakonus přindźe najskeršo knjez kand. Rev. M. Voigt, syn Hodźiskeho diakona knjeza Voigta. Knjez duchowny Möhn je do Drježdźan so podał, a sym tohosameho, jako w Drježdźanach přebywach, někotre mole wopytał a husto wonka trjechił; wón je strowy. Knjez kantor Kieschner w Bukecach je tež na Michała so emeritěrować dał a bydli nětko pola swojeho syna, kiž je lěkar, w Małym Wjelkowje. Wot krala je při tutej składnosći verdienstmedaillju dóstał. Na jeho městno je wěsty knjez Hatnik, rodźeny z Hućiny přišoł.

A nětko hišće přeja wam, lubowany wujo, a wšitkim tym wašim wjele zboža, ćělneho a duchowneho , k nowemu nětk nastupjenemu lětu a přiwołaja wam naposledku přez morjo wutrobnje wjele dobreho moji starši, bratřa, mojej sotře a ja

Ernst Mättig, cand. theol.

[Martin Strauch]

Letter 115.1 5 Jan 1872.25.jpg - 124kB

Letter 115.3 5 Jan 1872.25.jpg - 122kB

Letter 115.4 5 Jan 1872.25.jpg - 123kB

Letter 115.4 5 Jan 1872.25.jpg - 123kB

Go To Top