The Wendish Research Exchange
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 117.500 Kilian to Bünger [CHI, Serbin Collection] April 5, 1872
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-7-2015 at 04:24 PM
117.500 Kilian to Bünger [CHI, Serbin Collection] April 5, 1872

Serbin, Texas, April 5, 1872
Rev. T. F. Bünger, St. Louis

Honorable Beloved Mr. President!

It was so friendly of you to set my payments in order and to invite me to the General Synod at St. Louis. Even asking me to preach in your church on Cantate Sunday. Thank you not only for the call to preach but also for the invitation.

I am inclined to go to St. Louis, but I cannot trust myself to travel alone because of my awkwardness. Therefore I asked Pastor Braun of Houston, who knows his way around, to accompany me, but he has not responded. I do not know if there is any significance to this failure of receiving an answer. But we got along well together and since the dedication of my church, which he attended, we communicated often by letter.

In case there is no favorable answer from Pastor Braun, I cannot come to St. Louis because I do not want to travel such a long distance alone. Neither do I know anyone in Texas who knows his way around and with whom I am so well acquainted so as to have the heart to undertake such a long journey with him. What it means to travel to St. Louis alone, I learned in 1860.

Besides, a controversy has risen in my congregation which makes it necessary to stay here. With that I shall close with a request to greet my dear brothers and to forgive my failure to travel because of conditions here. Love as you are loved. Yours in Christ and united in him.

Johann Kilian

[WHN]

Serbin, Texas, am 5ten April 1872
Rev. T. F. Bünger St. Louis

Hochwürdiger Geliebter Herr Präses!

Sie waren so freundlich, meine Zahlungen in Ordnung zu bringen und mich zur Generalsynode nach St. Louis einzuladen. Ich soll sogar am Sonntag Cantate in Ihrer Kirche für Sie predigen. Ich danke Ihnen sowohl, für Ihre Bemühung, als auch für Ihre Einladung.

Ich bin auch geneigt, nach St. Louis zu gehen, traue mir aber um meiner Unbeholfenheit willen nicht allein dahin zu reisen. Deßhalb schrieb an 4tn Mærz an den weltgewandten Pastor Braun nach Houston und fragte ob er mich begleiten wollte. Allein es kam kein Brief. Ich schrieb darum am 26ten Mærz nochmals an ihn und habe noch keine Antwort. Was dieses Ausbleiben aller Antwort zu bedeuten hat, weiß ich nicht, da wir beide uns doch sonst viele Briefe schreiben und nach der Einweihung unserer Kirche welche er beiwohnte, gut zusammen standen.

Falls nun nicht noch eine günstige Antwort von Pastor Braun eintrifft, kann ich nicht nach St. Louis kommen. Denn ich wage mich nicht allein auf so eine lange Strecke hinaus.Und sonst ist kein Weltgewandter Mann in Texas mit dem ich in so inniger Verbindung stände, daß ich eine weite Reise mit ihm zu unternehmen. Das Herz hatte. Was aber das heißt, allein nach St. Louis zu reisen habe ich in Jahre 1860 erfahren.

Übrigens entstand in meiner Gemeinde eine neue Streitung so daß meine Gegenwart in Serbin nothwendig ist.

Damit schließe ich und bitte, die lieben Brüder der Synode von mir zu grüßen und mein Nichtkommen mit meine Umständen bei ihnen zu entschuldigen. Behalten Sie liebe, wie Sie thun, Ihren in Christo mit Ihnen verbundenen.

Johann Kilian

[WHN]

Letter 117.5.1 5 Apr 1872.25.jpg - 238kB

Letter 117.5.2 5 Apr 1872.25.jpg - 264kB

Go To Top