The Wendish Research Exchange
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 125.555 Kilian to Herman Kilian [TWHS, Blasig Collection] 11 Jan 1874
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-13-2015 at 08:36 PM
125.555 Kilian to Herman Kilian [TWHS, Blasig Collection] 11 Jan 1874

Serbin, Lee County, Texas, January 11, 1874

Dear Hermann!

Also in our congregation there is no sickness. Since September 17 when the wife answered your letter of December 28 from Doctor Schlepegrell, I have been concerned about how you were. I am very happy that you are still healthy and happy. We all are also still well. Bernard has been home since Christmas and will stay here till Easter. Pastor Proft owes it to his faithful, that he can do wood working and have an apprentice. Therefore, I have to further take in the “apprentice”, your brother. Their faithfulness you can probably not comprehend, and I also don’t understand it. These people have in the past been my tormentors, then they moved to the Yegua and became the tormentors of Pastor Proft.

I will not send you a blanket. Instead, rather buy yourself a blanket in Fort Wayne. If you are short of money, write me in time. How much money is still in your account? I think that, if I have to once send you money, I will have to send the money order to Professor Bischoff, your account administrator. Give me the exact first name of Professor Bischoff, if the money is to be sent to your classroom instructor. Is “Bischoff” spelled with two “ff”? And I also have to have his correct address.

Our altar has received a new altar cloth from the young ladies, which is already paid for, and which will be used for the first time in a festive manner on Christmas Eve. Then, we were also to receive a new baptismal font which was being constructed by Pastor Proft, and which was to be paid for by our youth, but which we have not received since Pastor Proft could not get it finished for Christmas Eve.

Johann Urban left for St.Louis on the night of January 5-6. I have recommended him to Professor Craemer with the enclosed certification, and Pastor Greif has recommended him for me. So nothing should stand against him in his acceptance as Professor Craemer wrote to me in his letter of December 28, 1874. God be with our dear Urban so that he can become a practically educated pastor.

It pleases me that you have become friends with the son of Pastor Kostering, since he is well known to me, and since Matthas Wukasch, with whom I have been having a letter exchange, is his school instructor. We wish say our special thanks to you for both of your devoted New Years wishes.

We have had much cold weather in this New Year. The New Years Day Festival began in an unpleasant way. I had very few people in church. The German worship service did not take place because of the severe weather. It was the same on the day of Epiphany, which usually is called the Three Kings Day. Then the weather became more friendly. But in the evening three day later, a new norther roared in, that became so cold in the night and blew through the cracks in the walls, that we could hardly stay warm. We thought of how warm our Hermann might have found it. Yes, everything was frozen. But, fortunately, the norther was a dry one. Yesterday I had few people in church. Still, in the afternoon a congregation meeting was held, in which I presented the church financial report for the 1874. The income was $920, the expenditures were $857. We now still have a church debt of $1,000. We owe the following members of the congregation: Andreas Lowke $400, Carl Lehmann $200, Myself $200, Prelop $150, Bamsch $25. Our church is valued at $8,000, so that is not so bad. But the new Missouri Pastor Stiemke was installed on the 4th Sunday in Advent in the Teinert congregation, which is taking away members of our congregation, and so we are getting through the

(the rest of the page is missing)

[Ed Bernthal]

Serbin Lee Co Texas am 17 Januar 1877

Lieber Hermann!

Auch in der Gemeinde ist keine Krankheit. Seit dem 17 September wo die Frau deinem Brief vom 28 December Doctor Schlepegrell antwortete sich sein nun find ich ruher. Ich herzlich freue mich das du noch gesund und munter bist. Wir sind auch noch alle wohl. Bernard ist seit Weinachten zu hause und bleibt hier bis Ostern. Den Pastor beschuldigen seine Frommen das er im Holz arbeiten und einen Lehrjungen habe. Darum muste ich den “Lehrjungen”, deinen Bruder, ferner nehmen. Diese Frommigkeit wirst du nicht begreifen ich verstehe sie auch nicht. Diese Leute waren früher meine Peinigen, dann sind sie an die Yegua gezogen und sind nun die Peinigen des Pastor Profft.

Eine Blanket will ich dir nicht schicken. Kaufe dir lieber eine warme Blanket in Fort Wayne. Fehlt es aber am Geld so schreibe mir bei Zeiten. Wieviel Geld ist noch in deiner Kasse? Ich denke wann ich dir einmahl Geld schicken mus, die Money-order an Herrn Professor Bischoff deinen Kassenführer zu adriesteren. Was sagst du dazu? Gib mir den vornahmen des Professor Bischoff ganz genau an, sollst das Geld an diesen deinen Herrn Klassenlehrer gesand werden soll. Wird “Bischoff” mit “ff” geschrieben? Ich mus seiner Addresse ganz richtig haben.

Unser Altar hatte durch unsere Mädchen ein neues Altartug bekommen das bereits bezahlt is und zur Christnacht welche feierlich begannen wurde aufgelegt ist. Dan wann Taufsteine den P. Proft arbeitet und unsere jungen Bürschen bezahlen sollen wir noch nicht bekommen weil ihn P. Proft zur Christnacht nicht fertig machen konnte.

Johann Urban ist in der Nacht vom 5 zum 6ten Januar nach St.Louis abgegangen. Ich habe ihn Professor Craemer empfollen mit beigelegten Zeugnissen und P. Greif hatte ihn von mir empfollen. Darum steht seiner Aufnahme nichts entgegen wie mir Professor Craemer schrieb. Prof Craemer’s Brief an mich ist vom 28 Decbr 1874. Gott sei mit den lieben Urban, das ein praktisch gebildenter Pastor aus ihm werde.

Das du mit den Sohn des Pastors Kostering gut steht, freut mich, weil der Pastor Kostering mir sehr bekannt ist un weil unser Matthas Wukasch, der mit mir im Briefwechsel steht sein Schulmeister ist. Grossen Dank sagen wir dir für deinen beiden devorirten Neujahrswünsche.

Wir haben in diesem neuen Jahr viel Kalte. Das Neujahrsfest fing unangenohm an. Ich hatte wenig Leute in der Kirche. Deutscher Gottesdienst fand nicht statt des miskalten Wetters wegen. Eben so war ich es nach dem Erscheinungstage das man den Dreikönigstag zu namen pflegt. Dann wurde das Wetter etwas freundlicher. Aber dreitags Abend kam ein neuer Nordern angesaust, der in der Nacht sehr kalt wurde und durch alle Ritzen der Wande hineinpfist so das wir uns kaum im beste erwarmen könnten. Da dachten wir wie warm es dem Hermann gefand. Es fror ja alles. Ein Glück aber war es das der Norden trocken kam. Gestern hatte ich wenig Leute in der Kirche. Dennoch wurde Nachmittags Gemeindeversammlung gehalten. Inlegte ich meine Kirchenrechnung vom Jahre 1874 ab. Die Einnahme war 920 Dollars die Ausgabe 857 Dollars. Wir haben nun noch 1,000 Dollars Kirchenschuld. Die Glaubigen der Gemeinde sind Andreas Lowke mit 400 Dollars, Carl Lehmann mit 200 D, ich mit 200, Prelop mit 150 Dollars u Bamsch mit 25 D. Es steht uns den der Kirche 8,000 Dollars werth, also nicht schlimmer. Aber der neue Missourische Pastor Stiemke der am 4 Advent in der Teinerischen Gemeinde hineingeführt wurde nimmt mir Gemeindeglieder weg so werden wir durch

(the rest of the page is missing)

[Ed Bernthal]

125.551.1 Kilian to Herman Kilian.85.jpg - 188kB

125.551.2 Kilian to Herman Kilian.85.jpg - 210kB

Go To Top