Author: Subject: 125.700 Kilian to Braun [CHI, Serbin Collection] 5 Feb 1874
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-13-2015 at 09:43 PM
125.700 Kilian to Braun [CHI, Serbin Collection] 5 Feb 1874

Serbin, 5 February 1874
Rev. C. Braun, Houston

Dear Colleague,

Your letter of 24 January of this year induces me to first of all thank you for the sending me the ticket and for your pretty picture. I am unable to send you such good picture of me. Indeed, there was a traveling photographer who stayed with the Carl Lehmanns who took my picture. But the picture turned out badly. Thus far my body has again gained its strength back this year so that I preach Wendish and German on all Sundays and festivals, preach funeral sermons and perform all transactions required by my office. Just how it will be this summer I do not know. On the 22 of May I will be 63 years old and am listless and nervous. Therefore, I am not inclined to travel. I believe I will have a relapse. The division of the church in Serbin is unnatural and therefore a constant misfortune.

Right now the main difficulty in the congregation is the lack of money. Personally I am doing well. But our church debt is a pain also for me in that each year the creditors give their notice and press for payment. To be sure all of our creditors are church members. But often in money matters charity ceases. Those who could give do not give and the lenders want their money. Sometimes I cannot sleep for half the night! Pastor Tirmenstein, with whom a congregational meeting was held on 21 January is a very honorable man. But a person cannot help when God punishes so that it is proper for me to say: “I will bear the Lord’s wrath, until He pleads my case.” Micah 7.

There was the plan, which President Bünger had and I also had during my last illness, in Serbin there should be a German and a Wendish congregation. But the negotiations went nowhere. The Germans in my congregation did not want to go to the other congregation. Their Pastor Greif is perplexed because he has several Wendish members who do not want to give up their mother tongue.

Enough for now. My wife sends her regards to you and your house, complains at night, is often sickly, and during the day performs her household duties. For the most part my children are doing fine. I am glad that you and yours are still healthy and remain with friendly greetings in the Lord,

Yours faithfully,
Johann Kilian, Pastor

[Biar]

Serbin am 5ten Februar 1874
Rev. C. Braun, Houston

Geliebter Herr Amtsbruder!

Ihr Schreiben von 24sten Januar d. J. veranlaßt mich, Ihnen zuvörderst herzlichen dank zu sagen für das zugesendete Ticket und für Ihr wohlgetroffenes Bild. Ich kann Ihnen kein so schönes Conterfei meiner Person schicken. Zwar hat reisender Photograph der einmal eine Weile in Hause Carl Lehmanns sich aufhielt mich abgenommen. Aber das Bild ist mißrathen.
Ich bin in diesem Jahre meinem Leibe nach wieder so weit erstarkt, daß ich alle Sonn. und Festtage Wendisch und Deutsch predigen, Leichenpredigten halten und die andere Geschäfte meines Amts besorgen kann. Wie es im Sommer gehen wird, weiß ich nicht. Ich werde am kommenden 22sten Mærz 63 Jahr alt werde und bin unlustigen(?) und reizbaren(?). Da habe ich keine Neigung zu reisen. Denn ich muß doch wieder ins Elend zurück. Die Kirchentrennung in Serbin ist eine unnatürliche und darum ein forte währendes Unglück.

In meiner Gemeinde ist die Hauptnoth gegenwärtig die Geldnoth. Ich für meine Person komme wohl aus. Aber unsere Kirchenschuld ist eine Pein auch für mich, da jedes Jahr Gläubiger kommen, welche der sein Geld kündigen und drängen. Unsere Gläubiger sind zwar, alle Gemeindeglieder. Aber in Geldsachen hört oft die Barmherzigkeit auf. Welche geben könnten, geben nicht und die Förderer wollen ihr Geld haben. Da kann ich nun manche halbe Nacht nicht schlafen!
Der Pastor Tirmenstein, vor dem am 21sten Januar eine Versammlung meiner Gemeinde gehalten wurde, ist ein sehr lieber Mann. Aber ein Mensch kann nicht helfen, wenn Gott straft. Da geziemt mir's zu sagen: Ich will des Herrn Zorn tragen, bis er meine Sache ausführe. Micha 7.

Wir hatten den Gedanken, der Präses Bünger u. auch ich in meiner letzten Krankheit, in Serbin sollte Eine Deutsche und Eine Wendische Gemeinde werden. Aber die Verhandlung darüber lief schlimm ab. Meine Deutschen wollten durchaus nicht zu jener Gemeinde übergehen. Deren Pastor Greif in Verlegenheit ist, weil er mehrere Wendische Gemeindeglieder hat, die ihre Muttersprache nicht aufgeben wollen.

Doch genug. Meine Frau, welche Sie u. Ihr Haus grüßen läßt, klagt oft bei Nacht kränkelt und besorgt doch bei Tage ihre häuslichen Geschäfte. Meine Kinder sind meistens alle wohl. Ich freue mich, daß Sie mit den Ihrigen noch gesund sind, und bleibe mit freundlichen Grüßen im Herrn

Ihr ergebener
Johann Kilian, P.

[GRN; Biar]

Letter 125.7.1 5 Feb 1874.25.jpg - 173kB

Letter 125.7.2 5 Feb 1874.25.jpg - 172kB

Go To Top