Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 127.511 Brunn to Leubner [TWHS, Jahn Collection] 19 May 1874
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-13-2015 at 10:52 PM
127.511 Brunn to Leubner [TWHS, Jahn Collection] 19 May 1874

My beloved son!

How much we all were delighted also to hear something from you again! And God be praise and gratitude, that there are all good and happy news, you can send to us. That you are in Texas, we already heard earlier through other channels, but nothing else. However now after your letter we can conceive a better idea of your whole situation. Also that you are married was unknown to us, yet. But certainly it would have been of interest to learn, how you got to know and found your dear wife. Because otherwise it has to seem to us very amazing, that a German woman comes to Texas.

Your shipment of 42 Dollar has arrived correctly at that time and I most cordially thank you as well as all dear donors for this gift. I also will receipt the same in the Lutheran administration office. The longer the more our local institute will be reliant on the support from America, because the participation here in Germany for the same decreases more and more. The rule of the wrong teachings, as well as the undecided and mostly pietistic like regional church Christianity prevails more and more and since we fight and testify against the same, so naturally the circle of our friends becomes smaller and smaller. Here in Germany it is very sad; while in America the Lutheran church grows, it diminishes here more and more and everything collapses and get lost in self-made ways and errings. Most people devolve to the Union. Here in Steeden everything still goes its quiet old way and we still may glorify and praise the divine mercy, which is with us. But since 2 years my physical strength very much began to falter. The pectoral illness, that affected me initially, is quite fairly healed, but the old strength does not want to come back. However with the help of God I hope to be able to be active myself for many years here in Steeden and our external congregations are very well staffed with my dear auxiliary preacher, pastor Eikmeier. This year our institute had 18 students, of which 10 will go to America now.

Also for the new teaching course our house will be filled again. But admittedly the registrations are not that numerous any more as in the past. My 2 sons visit the university, the oldest one in Berlin, to study construction sciences, the 2nd one in St. Louis, to study Theology. Later on the last one probably will become my auxiliary here. My other children are ??? well and healthy. My wife is still the same as ever, however also suffering as well, as you already know. Last year she had the nerve fever, but thank God she is recovered. In our congregation everything is unaffected. A woman from Steeden, the carpenter Hühn together with her 2 daughters now is in Texas as well at her son of law, pastor Meyer, a former alumnus from here. Certainly it is doubtful, if they are next to you.

Carpenter Volkwein physically becomes weaker and weaker and since the last year also mentally so weak, that he often is like crazy. God shall soon admit him in mercy. Still we often sit on the garden benches you made for us and they are a constant memory of you. Now live cordially well and be greeted at best by us all. In unchanged love and truth your old teacher and Father

Fr. Brunn
Steeden, May 19, 1874.

[Translated by Christian Symmank]

Mein geliebter Sohn!

Wie sehr haben wir uns alle gefreut auch von Dir wieder einmal etwas zu hören! Und Gott sei Lob u. Dank, das es lauter gute u. fröhliche Nachrichten sind, die Du uns senden kannst. Daß Du in Texas seyest, hörten wir schon früher auf andren Wege, aber sonst nichts. Nun können wir nach deinem Brief doch eher eine Vorstellung von Deiner ganzen Lage machen. Auch daß Du geheirathet, war uns noch unbekannt. Aber freilich wäre uns von Interesse gewesen zu erfahren, wie Du Deine l. Frau kennengelernt u. gefunden, da es sonst uns ganz wunderbar scheinen muss, daß eine Deutsche nach Texas kommt.

Deine Sendung von 42 Dollar ist seiner Zeit richtig eingetroffen u. ich danke sowohl Dir als allen l. Gebern herzlichst für diese Gabe. Ich werde auch im Lutherane dieselbe quittiren. Je länger je mehr wird unsre hiesige Anstalt auf die Unterstützung aus Amerika angewiesen, da die Theilnahme für dieselbe hier in Deutschland immer mehr abnimmt. Die Herrschaft falscher Lehre, sowie das unentschiedene u. meist pietistisch geartete landeskirchliche Christenthum nimmt immer mehr überhand u. da wir gegen dasselbe kämpfen u. zeugen, so wird natürlich der Kreis unsrer Freunde immer kleiner. Es ist das hier in Deutschland gar traurig; während in Amerika die luth. Kirche wächst, nimmt sie hier immer mehr ab u. Alles zerfällt u. verirrt sich in eigenselbst gemachte Wege u. Irren. Die Meisten fallen der Union zu. Hier in Steeden geht Alles noch seinen stillen alten Gang u. wir dürfen nach wie vor die göttl. Gnade rühmen u. preisen, die mit uns ist. Meine körperliche Kraft hat jedoch seit 2 Jahren angefangen sehr zu wanken. Das Brustübel, das mich Anfangs befiel, ist zwar so ziemlich geheilt, aber die alten Kräfte wollen nicht wieder kommen. Doch mit Gottes Hülfe hoffe doch hier in Steeden selbst noch manches Jahr thätig seyn zu können u. unsre auswärtigen Gemeinden sind ja gut versorgt durch meinen l. Hülfsprediger, Pf. Eikmeier. Unsre Anstalt hatte dies Jahr 18 Schüler, wovon 10 jetzt nach Amerika gehen.

Auch für den neuen Lehrcursus wird unser Haus wieder gefüllt. Doch sind allerdings die Anmeldungen nicht mehr so zahlreich wie früher. Meine 2 Söhne sind auf der Universität, der älteste in Berlin, um Bauwissenschaften zu studieren, der 2te in St. Louis, um Theologie zu studieren. Letztrer wird dann wohl später meine Aushülfe hier. Meine andren Kinder sind ??? wohl u. gesund. Meine Frau ist noch ganz wie immer, doch auch oft leidend, wie Du ja weißt. Voriges Jahr hatte sie das Nervenfieber, ist aber Gottlob genesen. In unsrer Gemeinde ist Alles beim Alten. Eine Steedenerin, die Schreinerin Hühn ist mit ihren 2 Töchtern jetzt auch in Texas bei ihrem Schwiegersohn, Pastor Meyer, einen alten Zögling von hier. Freilich ist fraglich, ob sie in Deiner Nähe sind.

Schreiner Volkwein wird körperlich immer schwächer u. ist seit vorig Jahr auch geistig so schwach, daß er oft ganz wie irre ist. Gott nehme ihn in Gnaden bald zu sich. Wir sitzen noch oft auf den Gartenbänken, die Du uns gemacht u. sie sind mir ein stetes Andenken an Dich. Nun lebe herzlich wohl u. sey bestens von uns Allen gegrüßt. In unveränderter Liebe u. Treue Dein alter Lehrer u. Pater

Fr. Brunn
Steeden 19 Mai 1874.

[Transliterated by Christian Symmank]

127.511.1 Leubner, 14.jpg - 194kB

127.511.2 Leubner, 14.jpg - 198kB

127.511.3 Leubner, 14.jpg - 215kB

127.511.4 Leubner, 14.jpg - 236kB

Go To Top