The Wendish Research Exchange
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 135.500 Kilian to Hermann [TWHS, Blasig Collection] 20 Apr 1876
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-25-2015 at 01:22 PM
135.500 Kilian to Hermann [TWHS, Blasig Collection] 20 Apr 1876

Serbin, April 20, 1876
To Hermann Theodor Kilian, Fort Wayne

Dear Herman,

I did not have the time to answer your last letter of March 19 this year, until now. I had to hold so many sermons and give many confirmation lessons. On Palm Sunday 9 Wendish children will be confirmed in our church and 5 German children on Good Friday.

Yesterday I had to baptize the first-born child, a daughter, of Pastor Stiemke. The sponsors were your sister, Theresia, and the wife of the school teacher Leubner and Pastor Proft. Gerhard, your brother took your sister, your mother, and me to Pastor Stiemke in our new carriage with 2 horses. Gerhard borrowed the second horse from Andreas Miertschin. This trip went very well.

Tomorrow I am going to the spring conference of the Missouri pastors at William Penn where Pastor Klindworth serves. This place is 8 miles on the side of Brenham where we, I, and your brother, and Teacher Leubner will travel by train. Pastor Stiemke will also go there. P. Proft, however, will not because he is going to Synod in St. Louis. I should also go to St. Louis. The gentlemen, President Walther and our District President Biltz, have both invited me to attend. But I don’t want to undertake such a long journey. First I want to try the short train journey to Brenham and see how it suits me. Your mother consented reluctantly to this smaller trip because she feared that I may become ill.

On April 2, Dom. Judica [Latin for a Sunday in the church year] I installed Pastor Proft in the newly constructed Eben Ezer congregation on the West Yegua. This work and trip was most beneficial for me. Therefore I will now venture to the conference which will last until April 27th. Perhaps later I can digest traveling to St. Louis, in case my sickness does not break out in the summer.

I received a post card from your business manager, Prof. Bischoff, on March 13, on which he acknowledged the receipt of the $50 which I sent you. The professor added these words: “Everything, God be praised, is still going well with your son in his learning and behavior.”

These words please me very much, so that I no longer worry about you. May God grant me that you remain healthy.

Your mother speaks of you often and carries you in her heart. She is presently well and traveled with me to the Yegua installation of Pastor Proft. She greets you with her heart. Also greetings from Gerhard, Bernhard, Theresia and Hulda who are all healthy. I commend you now to your God and mine and remain in the Lord your loving father.

John Kilian P[astor]

[GRN; Biar]

Serbin am 20sten April 1876
An Hermann Theodor Kilian, Fort Wayne

Lieber Hermann!

Auf Deinen letzten Brief vom 19 März d. J. Dir zu antworten habe ich bisher nicht Zeit gehabt. Ich hatte so viele Predigten zu halten und vielen Confirmandenunterricht zu ertheilen. Es wurden in meiner Kirche am Sonntage Palmarum 9 Wendische Kinder und am Kharfreitag, 5 Deutsche Kinder confirmirt.

Gestern mußte ich das erstgeborne Kind des Pastor Stiemke, eine Tochter, taufen. Die Pathen waren Deine Schwester Theresia, und die Frau des Schullehrers Leubner und der Pastor Proft. Gerhard, Dein Bruder, hat Deine Schwester, Deine Mutter und mich zum Pastor Stiemke in unserer neuen Carriage mit 2 Pferden hingefahren. Das zweite Pferd hatte sich Gerhard bei Andreas Miertschin geborgt. Diese Fahrt lief ganz gut ab.

Morgen gehe ich zur Frühjahesconferenz der Missourischen Pastoren nach William Penn, wo der Pastor Klindworth steht. Dieser Platz liegt 8 Meilen seitwärts von Brenham, wohin wir, ich und Dein Bruder Gerhard und der Lehrer Leubner per Eisenbahn morgen fahren werden. P. Stiemke will auch dahin kommen. P. Proft aber kommt nicht, denn er geht zur Synode nach St. Louis. Ich sollte auch nach St. Louis kommen. Die Herren Präsides, Herr Professor Walther und unser Districtspräses Biltz, haben mich beide sehr dazu ermahnt. Aber ich wage doch nicht eine so weite Reise zu unternehmen. Ich will erst die kleinere Eisenbahnreise nach Brenham versuchen, und sehen, wie mir dieselbe bekommen wird. Deine Mutter gibt auch diese kleinere Reise nur mit Widerstreben zu weil sie fürchtet, ich möchte krank werden.

Am 2 April, Dom. Judica, habe ich den Pastor Proft bei der neugebildeten Eben Ezer Gemeinde an der West Yegua eingeführt. Diese Arbeit und Reise ist mir zuträglich gewesen. Darum wage ich nun die Conferenz zu besuchen, welche bis zum 27sten April währen soll. Vielleicht vermag ich dann später auch nach St. Louis zu reisen, falls meine Krankeheit [sic] im Sommer nicht wieder ausbricht.

Von Deinen Kassenführer, den Herrn Prof. Bischoff, habe ich eine Postkarte vom 13ten Marz erhalten, auf welchen der Empfang der 50 Dollars, die ich Dir sendete, bescheinigt ist. Der Herr Professor hat die Worte dazu gesetzt: "Mit Ihren Sohn geht es, Gott sie dank, noch ganz gut, im Lernen und im Betragen."

Diese Worte sind mir sehr angenehm, so daß ich weiter keine Sorge um Dich habe. Gott gebe mir, daß Du gesund bleibst.

Deine Mutter spricht oft von Dir und trägt Dich auf dem Herzen. Sie ist jetzt wohl und fuhr mit mir an die Yegua zur Einführung des Pastors Proft. Sie grüßt Dich herzlich. Es grüßen Dich auch Gerhard, Bernhard, Theresia und Hulda, welche noch gesund sind. Ich befehle Dich nun Deinem und meinem Gott u bleibe im Herrn Dein liebender Vater

Johann Kilian. P.

[GRN; Biar]

135.5.1 Kilian to Hermann Kilian.60.jpg - 148kB

135.5.2 Kilian to Hermann Kilian.60.jpg - 174kB

Go To Top