The Wendish Research Exchange
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 135.980 Hagelberg to Kilian [TWHS, Blasig Collection] 21 Oct 1876
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-26-2015 at 08:31 PM
135.980 Hagelberg to Kilian [TWHS, Blasig Collection] 21 Oct 1876

St. Louis, Mo., October 21, 1876

Rev. J. Kilian
Serbin, Bastrop County, Texas

Dear Pastor!

As I address to you these few lines, I first want to hope, that you would not take this amiss, especially since this letter is connected with a request which you would kindly grant. I ask you, namely, to give me the desired information regarding the land in your county, which is either still very cheap or homesteads in the area of your congregation, and if possible, not too far from your church and school; how the land is cultivated; how large the average crops are; which grains are being raised; if the heat is greater or less than here; what the general climate is; if life and property are safe, if there is sufficient wood and water; how high are the earnings per day for farm workers; and if homes are available; especially, if it is possible that a farm can be obtained in an honest Christian way without ready capitol, and that, in the first year, the sacrifice would not be unbearable.

I have a family with 4 children, the oldest boy is 11 years, the smallest 7 months. We belong to the Evangelical Lutheran Zion’s Church – Pastor Linke. The Texas Land Immigration Company, which has its main office here, offers Texas land for 40 cents a meter, with liberal terms. I am here in the lumber business as yardman, busy throughout the year, but I would like to have my own farm, because for farming I have the greatest desire, and I came from Germany as a farmer, and since here one cannot get any further, for the earnings continue to get smaller, so that the entire income is used up for living expenses.

Therefore, I thought that I would confidently turn to you with the request for the necessary information.

Respectfully,
L. Hagelberg

South 12th Street, #1711

[Translated by Ed Bernthal]

St. Louis, Mo. 21sten Oct 1876

Herrn Pastor J. Kilian
Serbin, Bastrop Co. Texas

Geehrter Herr Pastor!

Wenn ich es wenige einige Zeilen an Sie zurichten, so setzt ich voraus, das Sie mir dieses nicht übelnehmen werden, zumal dieses Schreiben mit eine Bitte verknüpft ist, die Sie mir guitigt gewöhren machen. Ich bitte Sie namlich, mir gefäligst Auskunft zugeben, über die Länderean in Ihrem County, die entweder noch sehr billig sind, oder Homestead innerhalt Ihrer Gemeinde, wenn möglich nicht sehr weit von Ihrer Kriche und Schule, wie das Land beschaffen ist, wie gross die Ernten im Durchschnit sind, welche Getreide gezogen werden, ob die Hitze dort gröster oder läsiger wie hier, wie die Klima in allgemeinen ist, ob Leben und Eigenthum siche ist, ob reichlig Holz und Wasser dort ist, wie hoch der Verdienst per Tag für Farmarbeiter, und ob Wohnung zu haben sind, ob es überhaupt möglich ist, ohne baares Capital sich auf ehrliche Christliche Weise eine Farm zu verschaffen, und dabei die Entbahrung nicht zu unerträglich werden die ersten Jahre.

Ich habe eine Familie von 4 Kindern, der älste Knabe ist 11 Jahre, das kleinste 7 Monate. Wir gehören zur evang. luth. Zions Kirche – Pastor Linke. Die Texas Landen Immigration Company die hier ihre Hauptoffice hat offeriert Texas Land zu 40 cents per Meter zu libererlen Bedingung. Ich bin hier im Lumber Geschäft als Yardman, das ganze Jahr hindurch beschäftigt, mögte aber gern meins eigenne Farm haben, weil ich zum farmen am meisten Lust habe, von Deutschland aus bin ich Farmer, auch weil man hier der Verdienst wird immer kleiner so das alles Einkommen im Lebenshalt aufgeht.

Darum dachte ich, ich wollte mir im Vertrauen an Sie wenden, mit der Bitte um genügende Auskunft.

Achtungsvoll,
L. Hagelberg

South 12 Str. No 1711

[Transliterated by Ed Bernthal]

135.98.1 Hagelberg to Kilian.70.jpg - 118kB

135.98.2 Hagelberg to Kilian.70.jpg - 128kB

Go To Top