Author: Subject: 137.120 Kilian to Herman [TWHS, Taylor Collection] 4 May 1877
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-27-2015 at 10:06 PM
137.120 Kilian to Herman [TWHS, Taylor Collection] 4 May 1877

Serbin, May 4th, 1877
To Hermann Theodor Kilian, Fort Wayne

Dear Hermann,

You wrote a letter to your sister Hulda on March 6th of this year. Hulda asked me to answer you on it, as I shall now do.

I’m sorry that you had fever and still must not exert yourself. We are still all well. May our dear God preserve you!

Your mother and I are happy that you wish to come home during the coming vacation period. Just be sure to write to me soon how your money is holding out, and how much I need to send you for your trip home. These things have to be carefully considered now already. Speak with your Director about it. Last year it all got too late, and so you weren’t able to come. This year we will plan things better. I’m happy that you want to visit us during the vacation, and I’m eager to see you. Your mother is similarly eager.

When will the vacation period begin? In August, right? Hermann Lottmann’s father has told me that his son is longing to come home. So you can travel with him, because it’s boring to travel alone.

We have nice weather here. There is no lack of rain. But the grasshoppers are doing a lot of damage. However, I hope that this plague will be bearable, because the grasshoppers come only here and there and are gone again soon.

Our church affairs are coming along well. We have paid the church debt down to $200, and the church owes me this $200. We have had the steeple repaired and had the roof of the steeple re-painted. The cemetery has been fenced in, and the field of our pasture has been planted with corn, so that we will have green-fodder.

Gerhard has started a small branch-school at Rabbs Creek and rides over there every day. He suffered with the fever, but Pastor Braun from Houston, who was here from the 10th to the 12th of April for the conference, got him well.

Otherwise, not much is going on in the congregation. We haven’t had a death in 3 months, since the 19th of January. There were also only a few weddings and baptisms.

I can’t think of much to write you. When you come, people will tell you all kinds of things. Your sister Theresia is well and happy and visits us often. Hulda is also fine. Everybody said to tell you hello.

Be confident and bold, and do not be afraid. Commend to the Lord your ways and put your hope in Him. He will provide.

In your prayers remember your family home, your mother and your brother and sisters and relatives, and keep in your heart, as you do your father, who loves you,

Johann Kilian, Pastor

[Translated by David Goeke]

Serbin am 4ten Mai 1877.
An Hermann Theodor Kilian, Fort Wayne

Lieber Hermann!

Du hast am 6ten März d. J. [dieses Jahres] an Deine Schwester Hulda einen Brief geschrieben. Hulda hat mich gebeten, Dir darauf zu antworten, was ich hiermit thue.

Es thut mir leid, dass Du Fieber gehabt hast und Dich noch nicht anstrengen darfst. Wir sind noch alle gesund. Dich erhalte der liebe Gott!

Dass Du Lust hast in den kommenden Ferien nach Hause zu kommen, ist mir und Deiner Mutter angenehm. Schreibe mir nur bei Zeiten, wie Deine Kasse bestellt ist und wie viel Geld ich Dir zu Deiner Heimreise senden soll. So etwas muss schon jetzt reichlich bedacht werden. Rede mit Deinem Herrn Director darüber. Im vorigen Jahre wurde alles verspätet. Darum konntest Du nicht kommen. In diesem Jahre wollen wir uns besser vorsehen. Ich freue mich, dass Du uns einen Ferienbesuch machen willst, und habe Verlangen, Dich zu sehen. Deine Mutter hat dieses Verlangen auch.

Wann werden die Ferien eintreten? Nicht wahr, im August? Der Vater des Hermann Lottmann hat mir gesagt, dass sein Sohn sich sehne, nach Hause zu kommen. Da wirst Du also mit diesem reisen können. Denn allein reisen ist langweilig.

Wir haben hier schönes Wetter. Am Regen fehlt es nicht. Doch thun die Heuschrecken viel Schaden. Ich hoffe aber, dass diese Heimsuchung doch erträglich sein wird. Denn die Heuschrecken kommen nur strichweise und verlieren sich auch bald wieder.

In unserem Kirchenwesen geht es flott her. Wir haben die Kirchenschuld heruntergezahlt bis auf 200 Dollars. Und diese 200 ist die Kirche mir schuldig. Wir haben unsern Thurm repariren und das Thurmdach neu anstreichen lassen. Der Gottesacker ist eingefenzt und das Feld unsers Pasture’s ist bepflanzt mit Maiskorn, damit wir Blatt-futter bekommen.

Gerhard hat eine kleine Nebenschule am Rabbs Creek angefangen und reitet alle Tage dahin. Er litt am Fieber, aber Pastor Braun aus Houston, der von 10 bis 12 April zur Conferenz hier war, hat ihn hergestellt.

Sonst geht in der Gemeinde nicht viel vor. Wir haben seit dem 19ten Januar noch keine Leiche gehabt in 3 Monaten. Trauungen und Taufen kamen auch wenig vor.

Ich weiss Dir nicht viel zu schreiben. Wenn Du kommst, wird man Dir Manches erzählen. Deine Schwester Theresia ist wohl und besucht uns öfter. Hulda ist auch munter. Es lassen Dich Alle grüssen.

Sei uns getrost und unverzagt und lass Dir nicht grauen. Befiehl dem Herrn Deine Wege und hoffe auf ihn, er wirds machen.

Gedenke vor dem Herrn Deines Vaterhauses, Deiner Mutter und Deiner Geschwister und Verwandten, und behalte lieb, wie thust, Deinen Dich liebenden Vater

Johann Kilian, Pastor

[Transliterated by David Goeke]

137.12.1 Kilian to Herman 4 May 1877.35.jpg - 195kB

137.12.2 Kilian to Herman 4 May 1877.35.jpg - 168kB

Go To Top