Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 137.467 Monk to Kilian [CHI, Serbin Collection] 13 Dec 1977
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 09:33 AM
137.467 Monk to Kilian [CHI, Serbin Collection] 13 Dec 1977

Eitzen, December 19, 1877

Dear Worthy Pastor:

I take up the pen to write you a few lines. Namely, I would like to have some information from you in return as I am considering moving to Texas. It is not going well for me here. There is no proper church order here, and I would like to belong to a congregation of the Missouri Synod. And I have already heard much about Texas and that it would be good there. That is from my relatives who are in Texas since last spring. But I believe not much is going on there with church and school. They live in Williamson County, not far from Austin, and therefore I have searched a map and found that in Lee County there is already a congregation of the Missouri Synod. Now may I ask you to tell me something about the area, if it is not too much trouble for you? First I would like to know the nature of the climate, if it not unhealthy or too hot, as here in Minnesota it is pretty cold in winter. 2ndly, what is the nature of the area whether it is wooded or prairie land, if there is yet unclaimed land to be had or if one perhaps can purchase a somewhat settled farm and about what is the price of the land. I have lived here in Minnesota for 22 years already and am now, God willing, desiring to move to Texas, as the summer time is too short (here). One must already during the couple of summer months that one has here, work hard to gather enough feed for the cattle for the winter. The local Lutheran congregation is nothing but timid citizens from Germany and there is no good result with the people in churchly matters, as the congregation belongs to no Synod. In the beginning of the church’s formation, they belonged to the Minnesota Synod. But the people did not want to leave behind their books that they had in Germany, so they did not have good order with the Synod as they kept their Hanoverian Catechisms and hymnals. I am a Mecklenbuger. There are here only 2 other families from there and would like to know what are the people of the land there.

Dear Pastor, if this demands too much of you, would you be so kind and perhaps present it to one of your congregational members, as there are always reliable people among them. Also I would like to know what is the main crop the farmer produces there.

Herewith I must close. Hopefully you will answer my letter as it is not unusual for me to hear, were I not willing to come there.

My address is:
William Monk
Eitzen, Houston County, Minnesota

(SE corner of Minnesota, North of Iowa and West of Mississippi River)

[Translated by H. Melvin Symmank]

Eitzen, Decemb. d. 19ten 1877.

Ehrwürdiger herr Pastor,

ich ergreife die Feder um ein par zeilen an sie zu Schreiben,[-] nemlich ich möchte gerne etwas auskunft von der gegend haben, da ich im begrif ste nach Texas überzusiedeln,[-] es gefällt mir hir nicht mer gut,[-] es ist keine rechte Kirchenordnung hir, und ich möchte gerne zu einer Gemeinde von der Mo Sinode gehören, und daich auch schon viel von Texas gehört habe, das es dort so gut sein soll,[-] es sind von meiner Verwandschaft auch schon welche in Texas seit letzten Früjahr, aber ich glaube es ist dort nicht viel mit Kirche und Schule los,[-] sie wonen in Williamson Co. nicht weit von Austin, und so habe ich im Kalender nachgesucht, und gefunden, das in Lee Co. schon Gemeinde sind von der Mo sinode,[-] nun möchte ich sie bitten mir etwas von der Gegend [zu] benachrichtigen, wen es inen nicht zu viel umstende machte,[-] ich möchte erstlich gerne wißen wie das Klima dort beschafen ist, ob nicht ungesund oder zu heiß, den hier in Minnesota ist es zimlich kalt im winter,[-] 2. wie die gegend beschafen ist ob Holtz oder Prerie Land, ob noch wildes Land zu haben ist, oder ob man vielleicht schon eine etwas eingerichte Farm kaufen könnte, und was ungefer der preis vom Land ist,[-] ich wone hir schon 22 Jahre in Minnesota, und bin jetz willens so Gott will nach Texas zu ziehen, den die Sommerzeit ist hir zu kurtz,[-] man mus schon die par Sommer Monat die man hir hat hart Arbeiten das man soviel futter zurecht bringt als das Vie braucht im Winter,[-] die hisige Luth. Gemeinde sind lauter Lüneburger von Deutschland aus, und mit die leut ist nicht gut auskommen in kirchlichen sachen, den die Gemeinde gehört zu keiner Sinode,[-] im anfang als die Gemeinde gegründet war, gehörten sie zu der Minn Synode,[-] da die leute aber nicht von ire Bücher ablaßen wollten, welche sie in Deutschland gehabt haben, so kamen sie nicht gut zurecht mit der sinode, den sie behaubten ihren Hanöferschen Katechismus und Gesangbuch,[-] ich bin ein Mecklemburger, sind aber nur noch 2 familen mer von hir,[und] möchte gerne wißen was dort vür Landsleute sind.

Herr Pastor sollte dieses zu viel verlangt von inen sein, so möchten sie so gut sein, und es vielleicht eins von ihres Gemeinde Glid vorstellen, es gibt ja imer zuvelässige Leute darunter,[-] auch mochte ich gerne wißen da was die Haubt produkten dort sind die der Farmer baut, hirmit mus ich Schließen [-] hofendlich werden sie doch mein Brief beantworten, den es ist mir nicht um neuichkeiten zuhören wen ich nicht willens wäre um dort hin zu komen,

meine Adreße ist,
William Monk
Eitzen, Houston Co, Minnesota

[Transliterated by Christian Symmank]

Letter 137.467.1 13 Dec 1877.30.jpg - 138kB

Letter 137.467.2 13 Dec 1877.30.jpg - 148kB

Letter 137.467.3 13 Dec 1877.30.jpg - 141kB

Letter 137.467.4 13 Dec 1877.30.jpg - 106kB

Go To Top