The Wendish Research Exchange
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 140.800 Kilian to Fritschel [Wartburg Seminary - Dubuque] 21 May 1880
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 10:07 PM
140.800 Kilian to Fritschel [Wartburg Seminary - Dubuque] 21 May 1880

Serbin, Lee Co., 21 May 1880
Rev. Prof. G. Fritschel, Mendota, Illinois

Dear Professor!

Your letter of 25 April is very friendly and encouraging for me in my difficult situation, since my mother’s children are annoying me. [Note: translation literal but what does he mean?]

God is certainly our everlasting refuge. But the time will come when one also says to the dear people: “Remain here and watch with me.” (Matthew 26:38).

It is a great comfort to me that I found you because I now am attacked over the Hope of Israel not by the world, but rather by my brethren. Also a great comfort for me is your magnificent, profound, exhaustive defense “Iowa and Missouri.” I have read this document superficially, as I wrote you. Only your letter induced me to read through this path breaking document one more time with greater attention.

And now the result of my study. I am at one with you on this matter, not just related. My few words concerning the open questions are not to be taken, as if I have any indecision on matters of open questions assumed by you. In the document “Iowa and Missouri” page 6 page 129 and following and page 177 and following, you have expressed yourself adequately. I already knew that when I wrote you.

Only the expression “Open Question” gave me second thoughts. Uninitiated people, who are outside (Colossians 4:5) can come to the conclusion that somewhere there is uncertainty and doubt in the prevailing acceptable doctrine.

To that comes, for example, the Hope for Better Times for the Church on Earth, which at the extreme is inappropriately called chiliasm, which is not a question for you and me, but definite truth. For we hold fast to it according to the leadership of the Halle school and through antiquity. And for the Missourians this hope for the world is also not a question. For it is rejected by them according to the guidance of the old orthodox school. For whom then do open questions exist?

On the other hand, anything that cannot be understood can become an open question. Jesus spoke: “How is it that you sought me? Did you not know that I must be in my father’s house? And they did not understand the saying which he spoke to them.” (Luke 2:49-50) The words of Jesus were therefore questioned by them. So it was an open question for the disciples when Jesus in Luke 18:31-33 spoke of his death and resurrection. For “they understood none of these things: this saying was hid from them, and they did not grasp what was said.”

On the other hand, dear and worthwhile to me, is the Theologumena, that are “Inquiries about God and godly things,” as the Greek dictionary from Schneider and Passow defines the word. Those are truly questions that are presented to us through Bible passages and through Hebrews 5:11-14 are justified. That is the advancement of theology (Iowa and Missouri page 63-64). The Theologumena are actually the grounds by which prevailing things are replaced by new discoveries in theology, as research and discovery in the realm of nature in recent times resulted in railroads, steamships and telegraph. Is it not possible that through fresh ideas such results could be produced in theology? The burning of heretics no longer exists. Serfdom has been set aside. And is there no freedom in America? I do not think that theology is now without exception Stagnum, has become stagnant water, of which it is written in Ezekiel 47:11 “But its swamps and marshes will not become fresh; they are to be left for salt.” The water which flows out from underneath the threshold of the temple cannot be stopped or dammed up by no power on earth.

You ask how I am doing. My answer: not well. My neighboring pastor P. L. Geyer, who previously was the pastor in Carlinville, Illinois, was and is a staunch Missouri man, complained to the synod about me that I have tried to take away some of his members that belong to him, but wish to belong to us. President Blitz fully informed the synod and there has been correspondence between us and that the correspondence has gone back and forth since last fall.

With my son Hermann, whose time of study at Fort Wayne is nearing its end, I have had serious discussions. He is brilliant und I am concerned about him. His six years in the preparatory school cost me $1,300.

Faith is our foundation of life; love the acts of life, and hope the courage to face life. In hope I remain in love with the Lord.

Sincerely, Johann Kilian, P.

[GRN; Biar]

Serbin, Lee Co., Texas am 21sten Mai 1880
Rev. Prof. G. Fritschel, Mendota, Ills.

Geliebter Herr Professor!

Ihr Brief vom 25sten April ist sehr freundlich und ermutigend für mich in meiner schweren Lage, da meiner Mutter Kinder mir zürnen.

Gott ist freilich unser Zuflucht für und für. Aber es kommen Zeiten, wo man auch zu lieben Menschen sagt: "Bleibet hie und wachet mit mir." (Matth. 26, 38)

Es ist mir ein großer Trost, daß ich jetzt, wo ich nicht von der Welt sondern von Brüdern um der Hoffnung Israels willen angefochten werde, Sie gefunden habe. Ein großer Trost ist mir auch ihre herrliche, tief eingehende Apologie "Iowa und Missouri." Diese Schrift hatte ich obenhin durchgelesen, als ich Ihnen schrieb. Allein Ihr Brief veranlaßte mich, diese bahnbrechende Schrift noch einmal mit bessere Aufmerksamkeit durchzugehen.

Und nun das Ergebnis meines Studiums. Ich bin mit Ihnen in der Sache ganz einig, nicht bloß verwandt. Meine par Worte über die offenen Fragen sind nicht so zu nehmen, als ob ich irgend eine Unentschiedenheit in Sachen der offenen Fragen umsonst bei Ihnen vermutete. Sie haben sich ja in der Schrift "Iowa und Missouri" S. 6. S. 129ff und S. 177ff hinlänglich ausgesprochen. Das wußte ich schon, als ich Ihnen schrieb.

Nur der Ausdruck "Offene Fragen" macht mir einige Gedanken. Uneingeweihte Leute, die draußen sind (Koloss. 4, 5), könnten daraus schliessen, daß doch irgend eine Unentschiedenheit oder Ungewißheit in den bewußten Lehren obwalte.

Dazu kommt, daß z.B. die Hoffnung besserer Zeiten der Kirche auf Erden, höchst unpassend "Chiliasmus" genannt, Ihnen und mir keine Frage ist, sondern entschiedene Wahrheit. Denn wir halten fest daran nach Anleitung der hallischen Schule und des Altertums. Und den Missouriern ist diese Welthoffnung auch keine Frage. Denn sie wird von ihnen verworfen nach Anleitung der alten Orthodoxen Schule. Für wen sind also die offenen Fragen da?

Hinwieder kann alles zur offenen Frage werden, was man nicht versteht. Jesus sprach: "Was ist's, daß ihr mich gesucht habt? Wisset ihr nicht, daß ich sein muß in dem, das meines Vaters ist? Und sie verstanden das Wort nicht, das er mit ihnen redete." (Luk. 2, 49.50) Das Wort Jesu war demnach ihnen fraglich. So wars den Jüngern eine offene Frage, als Jesus Luk. 18, 31-33 von seinem Tode und seiner Auferstehung redete. Denn "sie vernahmen der keines und die Rede war ihnen verborgen, und wußten nicht, was das gesagt war."

Dagegen sind mir lieb und wert die Theologumena, das sind "Untersuchungen über Gott und göttliche Dinge", wie das griechische Wörterbuch von Schneider und Passow das Wort erklärt. Das sind wirkliche Fragen, welche durch Bibelsprüche uns an die Hand gegeben werden und durch Hebr. 5, 11-14 gerechtfertigt sind. Das ist der Fortschritt der Theologie (Iowa und Missouri S. 63. 64) Die Theologumena sind eigentlich auf dem Grund des Unbeweglichen das Bewegliche in der Theologie, das nur Errungenschaften bringen soll, wie die Forschungen und Entdeckungen im Reiche der Natur eine neue Zeit, Eisenbahnen, Dampfschiffe, Telegraphe herbeigeführt haben. Könnten nicht durch lebensfrische Denker solche Ergebnisse auch der Theologie eintreten? Hat ja schon das Ketzerverbrennen aufgehört. Die Leibeigenschaft ist abgethan. Und giebts nicht ein freies Amerika? Ich denke nicht, daß jetzt die Theologie durchweg Stagnum, ein abstehendes Wasser werden könnte, von welchem geschrieben steht Ezech. 47, 11: "Aber die Teiche und Lachen daneben werden nicht gesund werden, sondern gesalzen bleiben." Das Wasser, das unter der Schwelle des Tempels herausfließt, wird durch keine Macht der Erde aufgehalten oder abgedämmt werden können.

Sie fragen, wie mirs geht. Ich antworte: Schlimm. Mein Amtsnachbar P. L. Geyer, der früher Pastor in Carlinville, Ills war und ein strenger Missourier ist, hat mich bei der Synode verklagt, daß ich diejenigen seiner Gemeindeglieder, welche zu uns gehören wollen, wegnehme. Der Präses Biltz hat die Synodalvollmacht, mit mir und uns deshalb Briefe zu wechseln und es gehen zwischen ihm und uns Schriften hin und her seit letztem Herbste.

Mit meinem Sohn Hermann, dessen Studienzeit in Fort Wayne zu Ende geht, habe ich eine schwierige Verhandlung. Er ist genial und machte mir schon zu schaffen. Seine sechsjährige Gymnasialzeit kostet mich an die 1300 Dollars.

Der Glaube ist unser Lebensgrund, die Liebe die Lebenstat, die Hoffnung der Lebensmut. Hoffend verbleibe ich mit Liebe im Herrn.

Ew. Hochwürden ergebener Johann Kilian, P.

[Fritschel]

Go To Top