The Wendish Research Exchange
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 151.500 Buchschacher to Kilian [Serbin Collection] 23 Feb 1887 (95.030.020.24)
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-2-2015 at 11:34 AM
151.500 Buchschacher to Kilian [Serbin Collection] 23 Feb 1887 (95.030.020.24)

Warda, Fayette County, TX 23rd February, 1887

Honorable Pastor!

Acknowledge receipt of the announcement, that I shall appear in Serbin concerning the complaint against [...] for defamation of character. But why? I have already suffered a lot of strain, worry, and negative rumors because of this brother in Christ. Even if he appears as a great Christian to you, I consider him capable to deny his shameful lies or to apologize with a plain “I don’t know.” After the discussions you and I have had, I have come to the conclusion, that you had already formed your opinion ahead of time, and this is why:

1. Publicly, at the baptism of a child you asked [...] that question to his conscience, and you appeared satisfied with his meaningless “I don’t know.”

2. You blame [...], that he has exposed terrible defamation of character to me and others. You could have checked back with me, if you respected me as your brother.

It is for these reasons that I cannot attend that meeting. I am almost convinced that [...] does not lie and [...] will play the innocent and “Christian.”

As [...] and [...] are your communicant members, I demand that you will handle this matter yourself. I will expect to receive a “Yes” or “No” in writing concerning the complaint. If I don’t receive this by March 15, I will hire an advocate in LaGrange to submit a complaint regarding insult and damages and move forward. You understand that you will also have to be a witness.

I cannot free myself of the thought that you did not influence those men. A careful study of the matter could have brought things to light and saved annoyances. God forgive me my mistrust, if I am in the wrong.

I will research the matter with [...] and do justice to you.
With regards, your brother in the Lord,
J. Buchschacher

P. S. 24th of February, 1887

I have asked Mr. August Miertsching to represent me at the meeting. Should it not be clear to you that it is your duty to research this matter, I will offer you my home. But to come to you because of [...], would be a shame for me, because he is not worth it. We have heard enough grumble and insult coming from your people. I have visited with [...]. [... ...] holds on to her conviction. The rest we will settle. I will turn to the chair to see what the next step should be. You want war. You can have it. God will also stand by the poor and the despised. I trust in God, therefore, I do not fear.

[Translated by Margot Hendricks]

Warda, Fayette County, TX 23ster Februar, 1887

Geehrter Herr Pastor!

Empfange hiermit die Anzeige, dass ich wegen der Verleumdungsklage gegen [...] in Serbin erscheinen werde. Wozu auch? ich habe schon allzuviel Mühe, Sorgen und bösen Leumund wegen diesem lieben Bruder mit Schweigen erduldet. Ich halte ihn, wenn er auch Dir als ein ausgezeichneter Christ erscheint, für fähig, seine schändlichen Lügen zu beschwören oder sich mit einem blossen „Ich weiss es nicht“ zu entschuldigen. Übrigens bin ich nach den Verhandlungen, welche wir über diese Sache hatten, zu der Überzeugung gekommen, dass Du Dir Dein Urteil schon im voraus gebildet hast, zwar aus foldgenden Gründen:

1. Öffentlich, an einer Kind Taufe hast Du [...] jene Gewissensfrage gestellt, und Dich mit nichts sagendem ”Ich weiss es nicht“ zufrieden gegeben.

2. Du tadelst [...] darum , dass er mir und anderen schreckliche Verleumdung offenbart, während Du längst mit mir Rücksprache hättest nehmen können, sofern Du mich als Amtsbruder anerkennst.

Aus diesen Gründen kann ich jener Versammlung nicht beiwohnen. Dass [...] nicht Lügen redet, [...] aber den Unschuldigen und “Frommen” spielen wird, davon bin ich fast überzeugt.

Da nun diese Leute Deine Beicht Kinder sind, so verlange ich, dass Du Dich der Sache allein annimmst, und ich will entweder auf jene Klage ein „Ja“ oder „Nein“ und zwar schriftlich erhalten. Geschehe das bis zum 15. März nicht, so werde ich einen Advokaten in LaGrange anweisen, die Klage wegen Ehrenbeleidigung und Schadenersatz einzuweisen und voranzugehen. Dass auch Du als Zeuge fungieren musst, wird Dir erklärlich sein.

Übrigens kann ich mich des Gedankens nicht befreien, dass Du jene Leute nicht beeinflusst haben solltest und eine gründliche Untersuchung Manches ins rechte Licht hätte bringen können und Ärgernisse erspart hätte. Gott verzeihe mir meinen Argwohn, sollte ich Unrecht haben.

Die Sache mit [...] werde ich deshalb auch untersuchen und dir Gerechtigkeit widerfahren lassen.

Mit Gruss, Dein Amtsbruder im Herrn,
J. Buchschacher

P. S. 24. Februar, 1887

Ich habe noch Herrn August Miertsching ersucht, jener Versammlung beizuwohnen und meine Stelle zu vertreten. Sollte es Dir unklar sein, dass es Deine Pflicht ist, alleine jene Sache zu untersuchen, so steht mein Haus auch zur Verfügung. Wegen [...] aber zu Dir zu kommen, wäre für mich eine Schande, da er es nicht wert ist. Es soll endlich des Nörgelns und Kränkelns von Eurer Seite her genug sein. [...] habe ich besucht. [... ...] besteht vorläufig auf ihrer Behauptung. Das Andere wird sich finden. Ich werde mich auch an den Präses wenden, um zu sehen, was weiter geschehen kann. Ihr wollt Krieg. Ihr sollt ihn auch haben. Gott wird auch den Elenden und Verachteten beistehen. Er ist meine Zuversicht, drum fürchten wir uns nicht.

[Transliterated by Margot Hendricks]

Go To Top