The Wendish Research Exchange
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 113.300 Pastor Pallmer Ordination/Installation, Der Lutheraner, 15 Feb 1871 [TWHS, Der Lutheraner Collection]
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-31-2015 at 08:56 PM
113.300 Pastor Pallmer Ordination/Installation, Der Lutheraner, 15 Feb 1871 [TWHS, Der Lutheraner Collection]

The large congregation of Pastor J. Kilian in Serbin, Bastrop County, Texas, which consisted of Wends and Germans, has divided itself. The main part, consisting of consisting largely of Wends, kept Pastor Kilian as their spiritual leader. The part consisting mostly of Germans called Pastor J. Pallmer of Baden, St. Louis County, Missouri, who likewise was also a Wend by birth. Now Pastor Kilian reported in a letter to the undersigned the following about the installation of the latter:

“It occurred on the Second Sunday in Advent, that I installed my dear neighbor in the ministry in all forms of German. I introduced my sermon, which I had just held in my congregation in Wendish, with somewhat of the following remarks:

Dear Brothers!
It is hard for me to speak about this. But, since I was authorized by the District President of our Synod to ordain Pastor Johann Pallmer in the name of the Synod, so I must speak. Like once, Abraham and Lot separated from each other and still remained brothers, the congregation in Serbin has separated itself. The external arrangements, which are earthly and transitory, can be so and so. But we want to leave that and see wherein we are still united. First, we are united in that we all want to go to heaven. Secondly, we are united in that of which Paul speaks in Ephesians 4. 4-6: “One body and one spirit, etc.” And thirdly, that no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid in Christ Jesus. But this Lord appointed some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers. After that, I spoke somewhat about The Office of the Pastor, 2 Corinthians 5, 18-25 and I, fortunately, came to my theme:

The Life of the Preacher
1. How it Goes for Them (John in Prison)
2. Wherein Lies their Strength (Christ’s Works)
3. How the Lord Exalts (The Distinctiveness of John)

The German service in my congregation had to be suspended at this time. I still had a small German congregation, for whom I preached otherwise on all Sundays and Festival Days.”

The God of Peace grant graciously that both congregations will maintain and flourish in the unity of the faith and confessions and in brotherly love for each other. J. T. Buenger [President, Western District, Lutheran Synod of Missouri, Illinois, Ohio and Other States]

Address:
Rev. J. Pallmer
Serbin, Bastrop County, Texas

[Translated by Ed Bernthal]

4. Der Lutheraner, 15 May 1871.jpg - 162kB

Go To Top