Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 106.500 Kilian to Bünger [typed copy, CHI] 1869
mersiowsky
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 3-16-2017 at 08:54 PM
106.500 Kilian to Bünger [typed copy, CHI] 1869

[After writing about the situation in which he finds himself as pastor of the church with so much underhanded opposition, he proceeds at the bottom of p. 3. The author of this comment and transcription is not known.]

The new quarry stone church has finally been roofed but the interior remains completely unfinished. The steeple is also not roofed yet. Church construction has ceased. The small minority of carpenters is divided and does little. No one dares come forward against the carpenters because distinguished people side with them. In the meantime our wood church is also used as the school, and is overflowing on all Sundays and festival days, and if there is pleasant weather, many must stand or sit outside. But the church construction does not proceed because now money must be borrowed. And the congregation cannot give any security to those who are willing to loan money because it is indeed outwardly united, but divided inwardly and has become unstable. The unification of the inner and outer congregation that I enforced, at your demand, although without any satisfaction, on 21 October 1866 was an encroachment into the rights of a congregation, and is now most vengeful. I had found it necessary to toss these well-founded and tried and true arrangements of the congregation over the pile, otherwise the congregation would not have been taken up in the Missouri Synod. The earlier congregation was a unified congregation that quickly met all costs for the construction of the first church. Now, however, even though there is enough money among the people, the old basic principle of the congregation is demoralized, that is negative and indifferent, through the imposed consolidation. Because the unification of the inner and outer has consequences that are outlined in Deuteronomy 20, 8. If we still had the earlier inner congregation, our new church would have already been completed.

But what will happen now? The freedom permitted to the minority not to contribute to the church construction and to do nothing as a result, must be permitted to those who claim such a freedom. And yet the congregation must, if it wants to borrow money, be so united that it can provide security to the creditors. I know of no other advice than to again form an inner and outer congregation, but I like to hear from the presidium before I implement this solution. If the presidium is opposed to the new construction of an inner and outer congregation, then send a vicar here, who can restore the correct church existence of the congregation. I will during the rehabilitation travel to the North, to learn of Missouri congregation formation. Because my knowledge is at an end. Things must either bend or break. An oppressive stillness prevails in the congregation, as before a storm. As long as we do not have a proper unified congregation, church building construction must wait.

I close with the assurance, that only the direct need forced me to send such a sharps letter, and remain in the Lord. Sincerely,

Johann Kilian.

[GRN; Biar]

[After writing about the situation in which he finds himself as pastor of the church with so much underhanded opposition, he proceeds at the bottom of p. 3. Author of comment not known]

Die neue Brüchsteinkirche ist endlich unter Dach gebracht, aber im Inneren noch gänzlich unausgebaut. Auch ist der Turm noch nicht gedeckt. Der Kirchbau stockt. Die kleine Minorität der Zimmerleute ist entzweit und tut wenig. Niemand wagt gegen die Zimmerleute aufzutreten da angesehene Leute zu ihnen gehören. Unterdessen ist unsre Framekirche in der auch Schule gehalten wird, alle Sonn-und Festtage übervoll, wenn schönes Wetter ist, viele müssen draußen stehen oder sitzen. Aber der Kirchbau geht nicht vorwärts. Denn es muß jetzt auch Geld geborgt werden. Und die Gemeinde kann denen die Geld darleihen wollen, keine Sichtheit geben, weil sie zwar äußerlich vereinigt, aber innerlich zerfahren und haltlos geworden ist. Die Vereinigung der inneren und äußeren Gemeinde, die ich auf Ihr Verlangen am stauen Oktober 1866 vollzog, an der aber kein Teil Freude hatte, war ein Eingriff in die Gemeinderechte, der sich jetzt schwer rächt. Ich war genötigt, diese wohlbegründet und bewährte Einrichtung der Gemeinde über den Haufen zu werfen, sonst würde die Gemeinde nicht in die Missouri Synode aufgenommen worden sein. Die frühere innere Gemeinde war eine geschlossene Gemeinde die den Bau der ersten Kirche bein aller Geldnot schnell vollbrachte. Jetzt aber, da Geld genug unter den Leuten ist, ist der alte Grundstamm der Gemeinde durch den ausgerungenen Zuwachs demoralisiert d.h. versagt und gleichgültig geworden. Denn die Vereinigung der inneren und äußeren Gemeinde hat Folgen, welche 5ten Mose 20, 8, angedeutet sind. Hätten wir die frühere innere Gemeinde noch, so wäre die neue Kirche schon längst fertig.

Was soll aber nun werden? Die Freiheit zum Kirchbau nichts zu geben und nichts dabei zu tun, muß der Minorität gelassen werden, die auf solche Freiheit Anspruch macht. Und doch muß die Gemeinde, wenn sie Geld dargeliehen haben will, auch so geschlossen sein, daß sie die Darlehen sicherstellen kann. Ich weiß mir hier keinen Rath, als wieder eine innere und äußere Gemeinde zu bilden, will aber, ehe ich diesen Rettungsweg einschlage, die Meinung des Präsidiums hören. Ist das Präsidium gegen eine Neubildung einer inneren und äußeren Gemeinde so sende es ein w? Vivarium hierher, der den kirchenrechtlichen Bestand der Gemeinde herstelle. Ich will indeß zur Erholung nach dem Norden gehen, und die Missourische Gemeindebildung lernen. Denn meine Weisheit ist am Ende. Und doch muß es jetzt biegen oder brechen. In der Gemeinde herrscht eine schwüle Stille, wie vor einem Sturm. Solange als wir nicht wieder eine gehörig geschlossene Gemeinde haben, muß der Kirchbau liegen bleiben.

Ich schließe mit der Versicherung, daß nur die äußerste Not zu diesem scharfen Schreiben mich gedrungen hat, und bleibe im Herrn

Euer Ehrwürden eigener Johann Kilian.

[Not known]

Go To Top