This article appeared in the 20 August 1987 edition of the Giddings Times and News, Giddings, Texas.
The Lee County Heritage Society received word last week that the Schubert-Fletcher home, located on the north side of the square in Giddings, has been deeded over to them.
The property was deeded by Eleanor Schram, attorney-in-fact for Eleanor Fletcher, owner of the house and property which is located at 183 East Hempstead.
The deed stipulates that the home must be refurbished in keeping with its historical medallion.
President of the Society, Gretchen Keng, said, "We will begin soliciting donations for the refurbishing of the home in the near future."
The Heritage Society members learned of the importance of the building at their last meeting. At that meeting Mr. Rick Lewis of the Texas Historical Commission in Austin spoke of preserving our heritage. He noted that the Schubert-Fletcher home on the courthouse square is important because of its fine Greek architecture.
The Heritage Society has been working with the Fletcher family for over a year to get the opportunity to own the home and renovate it.
Following is the information written about the home when it was given a National Historical Marker.
The Schubert House shows an interesting variation of the Greek Revival style, still persisting in Texas in 1879, long after it had died out in the Northeast. The corner pilasters with their quite original division of capital and entablature are reminiscent of corresponding features in some eighteenth-century New England Georgian houses, while the four-columned central portico has the lightness of the very late nineteenth-century Greek Revival. The careful craftsmanship of the front door moldings is exceptional.
The Schubert House has served as a home for its builder, August W. Schubert; a ministerial college; and home for Baylis J. Fletcher, legislator, author, and educator.
Schubert, a merchant, was a member of the Serbin Colony, founded in 1854 by Wendish settlers near the present site of Giddings. He built the home in 1879, but sold it in 1894 to the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod, to house Concordia College. The college did not prosper, however, and it closed about 1900.
The Board of Trustees of the College sold the home to Baylis J. Fletcher. Fletcher was a county officer and politician - a member of the twenty-fourth Texas Legislature. In addition, he was the posthumous author of the University of Oklahoma Press book, Up the Trail in '79, an account of a trip up the Chisholm Trail on horseback from Victoria, Texas to Cheyenne, Wyoming.
Members of the Fletcher family still own the home, and they have done little to change it. Perhaps their most outstanding contribution has been the preservation of eleven rooms of artistic, historical, and educational materials. Roy Fletcher, latest owner of the home, has collected an exceptionally fine group of theatrical periodicals, as well as fifty years of newspaper headlines, and hundreds of letters from stage and screen stars.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966.
This home is a large two-story late Greek Revival frame residence with a ridged hip roof. The main block of the house is of the central hall plan and there is a long rear ell with inset double porch. At the center front there is an attached flat roofed two-story porch, with four very slender capped posts and a stick balustrade at each level. The front corners of the building have wide molded pilasters and there is a ventilated cornice.
The paneled front doors are outstanding and are featured in D. B. Alexander's Texas Homes of the 19th Century. There is one pair of double doors at each level of the "porch." They have two arched upper panels and two rectangular lower panels. Both doors have handsome slightly pedimented architraves enclosing the three light side lights and five horizontal lights of the transoms. The glass around the first story door is etched in a lace pattern. The windows of the house are double hung sash type with six over six, lights, shutters, and molded architraves. There is one chimney where the ell joins the main block of the house. The house is set close to the present street.