Sorbian Language Resources
The language of the Wends is a Slavic language, Sorbian, and there are two varieties: Upper Sorbian and Lower Sorbian. Upper Sorbian is spoken primarily in the portion of Lusatia that is in Saxony and is more similar to Czech. Lower Sorbian is spoken primarily in the Prussian portion of Lusatia and is more similar to Polish.
The following books are available from the Gift Shop at the Texas Wendish Heritage Museum:
- A Practical Grammar of Upper Sorbian (Wendish) by Dr. Charles Wukasch
- A Practical Grammer of Lower Sorbian (Wendish) by Dr. Charles Wukasch
- We Learn Wendish – An beginner’s introduction to the Upper Sorbian language
- Upper Sorbian-English Dictionary – For looking up the English equivalents of Upper Sorbian words
- English-Upper Sorbian Learner’s Dictionary – For looking up the Upper Sorbian equivalents of English words
Online Upper & Lower Sorbian Courses
Sorbian Easy for iPhone and iPad
This handy mobile app produced by the WITAJ-Language Center in Bautzen is a fantastic resource for those who want to learn the Upper Sorbian language.
You can see and hear common phrases used to say hello and goodbye, learn how to introduce yourself, and how to ask for something. It also includes common questions and answers for a variety of situations.
Upper Sorbian Videos
Lower Sorbian Videos